• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Is your shadow type really like your opposite gender, feminine or masculine, side?

amerellis

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4/9
I'm not sure.

I do think there is an observable difference in the way males and females of a certain type express themselves. However, the question is, does a a person of a certain type express their shadow type functions more as someone as the same gender or opposite gender who is their shadow type, would.

For example, as an ESTJ female gone, did I express my INFP functions like an INFP male would?

I used to have a lot of questions about my gender identity in the past, and am now of the belief that most of what we identify as gender differences is really just societally induced bullshit.
However, I think you can't escape from the fact that there tend to be some natural differences between the genders. However, I don't these differences limit either gender at all or that one gender is more deficient than the other.

I'd really like to aviod getting in a gender debate though and try to focus on the topic at hand. Do you think shadow type corresponds with your opposite gender?

I think it might. Just based off of compatibilty and things.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The inferior function ais aligned with a complex called the anima or animus, which is opposite gender. So that's why the inferior function might carry a connotation of the opposite gender.
It makes sense, as the ego chooses both a dominant gender identity, as well as a dominant function and dominant attitude. What is not preferred becomes suppressed into the unconscious, and likely forms a [unconscious] complete "image" of sorts, of this totally opposite entity you are incomplete without.

So for me, Fe does seem to carry a definite female association to it.

amerellis

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4/9
The inferior function ais aligned with a complex called the anima or animus, which is opposite gender. So that's why the inferior function might carry a connotation of the opposite gender. It makes sense, as the ego chooses both a dominant gender identity, as well as a dominant function and dominant attitude. What is not preferred becomes suppressed into the unconscious, and likely forms a [unconscious] complete "image" of sorts, of the totally opposite person you are incomplete without.

wow. that is deep.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Anima isnt about inferior, its about the unconscious(that has been repressed like eric said). but the inferior is also in the unconscious since it has been repressed by the ego, thi which dominant function takes the largest portion of. erics definition of anima isnt jungian, even tho its similar to it. its true that when you look into your unconscious, you might have associations to opposite gender to some of the stuff, like when looking at inferior function in the unconscious, but thats not because inferior = anima/animus, its because they get associated in the unconscious, just like you associate your conscious ego to your real gender(except with homosexuals). read about the differentation from the pic on other topic, its about taking the functions(like inferior feom the unconscious, taking it away of these associations in the unconscious) and stuff like that

R

ReflecTcelfeR

So there is no such think as a conscious feminine male?

Don't have time to complete my thoughts right now I'll be back in a bit.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
It's more like you project that onto the opposite sex in what you're attracted to or want. That means you actually might be attracted to men with those qualities, or simply project what you think is best upon them.

Like say I actually have Te inferior...this means I'm going to be attracted to Te in the opposite sex, see it as being masculine and even sexy; possibly even the definition of what a man *should* be. We can even project this on to people who actually do not have that quality/function because it's what we want, and be disappointed when they actually are not that.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
It's more like you project that onto the opposite sex in what you're attracted to or want. That means you actually might be attracted to men with those qualities, or simply project what you think is best upon them.

Like say I actually have Te inferior...this means I'm going to be attracted to Te in the opposite sex, see it as being masculine and even sexy; possibly even the definition of what a man *should* be. We can even project this on to people who actually do not have that quality/function because it's what we want, and be disappointed when they actually are not that.

This.

The point is that the unconscious gets projected as a defence mechanism of the ego. ego doesent want to see things in self that contradict it, so it represses those things to unconscious, but in some cases the instinct from the unconscious(shadow) are too strong, so ego channels them on external things, aka projects them.

Imo when it comes to anima(or other stuff in unconscious, like inferior function), its better to develop these things in you, to become conscious of them in self, instead of trying to find someone to fill this role in you.

Not to mention when it comes to inferior projection, its like living in an illusionary world, because these projections have control over you and guide your conscious mind, usually to directions that the ego doesent want and cause dissrtess in this way. but when you have developed the inferior, you have the control for yourself and since developing inferior requires you to let go of your stubborn ego to some extend, you can find something the inferior guides you to sort of like pleasant surprice, because you might find something that the ego would otherwice reject, but what the self actually really likes.

I think i rambled enough for now

R

ReflecTcelfeR

That's far simpler than what I read... Thank you.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
That's far simpler than what I read... Thank you.

Thats because its simplified quite alot and only explains a fraction of the anima and inferior

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
Shadow complex is of the same gender. It's in part the uglier side of masculinity or femininity that you must come to terms with in order to fully accept yourself as an adult. It's generally associated with reactions to and compensations for the deepest of fears, such as abandonment or being consumed. Classic example being Darth Vader as Luke Skywalker's shadow (representing his parents' abandonment of him at birth).

As stated, the animus/a represents deficiencies in the ego that make us feel incomplete as selves. The ego tries to ignore this, for sake of protecting itself, as these deficiencies often invoke unhealthy manifestations of the shadow. Back to the Star Wars example, Luke makes a lot of stupid and bad decisions when he thinks Leia (his, unbeknownst to him, twin sister, as blatant an anima as you can come up with) is in danger, leading Darth Vader to get the upper hand on him (or lop it off, so to speak). It is when he regains a hold of his purpose (to become a Jedi and redeem his father) that his anima becomes less a source of weakness and more a source of strength (confidence that Darth Vader can be redeemed, and that he as a Skywalker can remain pure).

Xyk

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Femininity and masculinity are nothing. Those words are meaningless. I am not more feminine because I like to cook and enjoy a well-written love story and I am not more masculine because I enjoy building things and action movies. I don't love ponies any more when I'm really stressed or upset.

They really boil down to T-F, T being traditionally masculine and F being traditionally feminine. From wikipedia, I've gathered roughly what shadow types are and I can say decisively, no, shadow types are not your other gender manifesting themselves. That's a stupid idea.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Femininity and masculinity are nothing. Those words are meaningless. I am not more feminine because I like to cook and enjoy a well-written love story and I am not more masculine because I enjoy building things and action movies. I don't love ponies any more when I'm really stressed or upset.

They really boil down to T-F, T being traditionally masculine and F being traditionally feminine. From wikipedia, I've gathered roughly what shadow types are and I can say decisively, no, shadow types are not your other gender manifesting themselves. That's a stupid idea.

but the point isnt about how the world defines feminine, its about what opposes the egos view on masculinity of self. if your ego thinks that its ok to enjoy cooking as a man, then the ego doesent define cooking as a feminine trait. but ofc the ego can view cooking as feminine, but still like doing that, but thats when the ego views masculinity as unimportant, its ok with the feminine side. but anima isnt just about man and woman, its also about buying expencive things and then getting bored of them. whwn it comes to anima/animus and man woman thing, its not about love, its about projections, its about falling in love at first sight and then years later noticing that rhis isnt my thing afterall and that this person may not be who you saw her as, like this person is suddenly like total stranger, this is when the projections are shut off and you see the other person as she really is, and this may or may not be someone you actually even like

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My Se shadow is actually quite feminine, but with a slight tomboy edge. I'd liken her to being like the archetypal female spy, femme fatale, or heroine type of personality... aware of her surroundings, can defend herself by physical force, kind of a tough lady that doesn't put up with b.s. Knows when to be ladylike, but also likes to play in the same sandbox as the guys.

amerellis

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4/9

I get what you are saying about femininity and masculinity being bullshit, but I have noticed differences between how the different genders of a same type act. And I think that if a person developes their shadow functions, they act more how someone of their opposite gender who is actually their shadow type would act.

Xyk

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I get what you are saying about femininity and masculinity being bullshit, but I have noticed differences between how the different genders of a same type act. And I think that if a person developes their shadow functions, they act more how someone of their opposite gender who is actually their shadow type would act.

Girls only act 'feminine' because they feel like they are expected to, and have been placed in that box from a young age. Boys are, of course, the same with masculinity. Even the link between testosterone and traditional male aggression is not certain. When upset, I don't act how I think girls act because I don't think girls act in any particular way.

Down with sexual discrimination! :solidarity:

Xyk

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
It sure feels natural to me.

Well yeah, early childhood experiences and pressures are both extremely pervasive in our lives and extremely hard to remember and pinpoint. My point was that there is no biological reason for a girl to act girly or a guy to act manly. At some point, your parents probably felt that, as a girl, you should identify with other girls, and nudged you in that direction, just like my parents did with boy stuff.