Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Xyk View Post
    Well yeah, early childhood experiences and pressures are both extremely pervasive in our lives and extremely hard to remember and pinpoint. My point was that there is no biological reason for a girl to act girly or a guy to act manly. At some point, your parents probably felt that, as a girl, you should identify with other girls, and nudged you in that direction, just like my parents did with boy stuff.
    That's funny, I have vivid memories of thinking girls/women were preferable to men/boys as a very small child. When I was like 3/4/5...like eww boys gross and just thought girls were better, in the sense of my own identity. I'm pretty sure that stage children go through is biological and not socially enforced.

Also, I do think that many girls really are more comfortable acting feminine, and vice versa, and that it's a small percentage that actually strongly, naturally prefer the opposite role ...it's due to something rather than socialization because one of my sisters was a fucking brute compared to the rest of us, while another one of my sisters (ISFJ) is so feminine and giving and "fragile" seeming it's ridiculous, until you see her tough fighting side come out.

I really liked loving things as a child. Dogs, cats, stuffed animals more than baby dolls, honestly. I wanted to nurture things, it felt better than many things to me...but I also liked jumping on my bed and riding my tricycle and playing outdoors. I remember being very fascinated by watching ant hills in our yard as a small child, too. Like not wanting to kill them but to watch them.

A window to the soul

Well yeah, early childhood experiences and pressures are both extremely pervasive in our lives and extremely hard to remember and pinpoint. My point was that there is no biological reason for a girl to act girly or a guy to act manly. At some point, your parents probably felt that, as a girl, you should identify with other girls, and nudged you in that direction, just like my parents did with boy stuff.
    There is a biological reason for you to act manly, it's called testosterone. Nobody had to nudge me in the direction of a barbie and a pink corvette. If you handed me a boring boy toy at 4, I would have girly'fied it with pink or made a joke of it.

One year Barbie was sold with a tiny tube of real lipstick. Ken wore a pink scarf and he had Barbie kisses all over his face. He rode shotgun in Barbie's pink Corvette convertible and Mr. Potato head rode strapped in the back. Good times.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I loved the hell out of my Barbie Dreamhouse!

I liked Mr. Potato Head too.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4/9
    Socionics
    ???

Girls only act 'feminine' because they feel like they are expected to, and have been placed in that box from a young age. Boys are, of course, the same with masculinity. Even the link between testosterone and traditional male aggression is not certain. When upset, I don't act how I think girls act because I don't think girls act in any particular way.

Down with sexual discrimination!
    Yeah no I know what you mean, but I don't mean superficial stereotypical stuff. I mean there are some ENTP males who are always making funny facial expressions while I've noticed this is less common in ENTP girls. And ISFJ girls with well developed shadow functions, you'll find having a similar sort of flow to their speech as ENTP males and making the same sort of faces. Thart's just one example of what I mean.

A window to the soul

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    I loved the hell out of my Barbie Dreamhouse!

I liked Mr. Potato Head too.
    OMG, I had a Barbie Dreamhouse too!!! Speaking of, did you see that cell phone commercial recently where a little girl is playing with her Barbie in the dreamhouse and her Dad asks her where his cell phone is?

This is the funniest cell phone commercial I've ever seen...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXWycv3iHwg

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INTp

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd Girl View Post
    There is a biological reason for you to act manly, it's called testosterone. Nobody had to nudge me in the direction of a barbie and a pink corvette. If you handed me a boring boy toy at 4, I would have girlyfied it with pink or made a joke of it. Yep, I would have cut up one of barbie's pink dresses to make little pink scarfs, which I would have tied around g.i. joe's neck. Nobody would have nudged me to do that.
    Do you have any baby pictures in dresses? You would have to get the behavior from somewhere, and it's culture, whether your parents gave you subtle clues on how a girl acts or your peers or the things you read/watched/listened to, not biology that attracts women to cuteness. I've actually never had to make this argument before because it seemed so obvious. Do you think you have a "cute" gland somewhere in your head that's somehow connected to the XX chromosome? Of course not. That's ridiculous. Estrogen doesn't have any effect that attracts girls to girly things. It is completely cultural.

Testosterone may play a part in typical male behavior, i.e. aggression. The link between testosterone and aggression in humans is shaky at best as demonstrated here, here, and here.
    MBTI: INTP (PNIT if you wanna put it in order of strength.)
    Socionics: INTp
    Enneagram: 5w4
    Alignment: Neutral Good
    Political Stance: (usually) Very Liberal
    Religious Stance: (roughly) Secular Humanist
    Class: Wizard
    Stereotype: Geek/Hippie

Also, credit for my new avatar goes to this person. I found it on the google.

A window to the soul

Do you have any baby pictures in dresses? You would have to get the behavior from somewhere, and it's culture, whether your parents gave you subtle clues on how a girl acts or your peers or the things you read/watched/listened to, not biology that attracts women to cuteness. I've actually never had to make this argument before because it seemed so obvious. Do you think you have a "cute" gland somewhere in your head that's somehow connected to the XX chromosome? Of course not. That's ridiculous. Estrogen doesn't have any effect that attracts girls to girly things. It is completely cultural.

Testosterone may play a part in typical male behavior, i.e. aggression. The link between testosterone and aggression in humans is shaky at best as demonstrated here, here, and here.
    It's true that part of our behavior is learned, but that's only part of it. The most basic explanation for feminine and masculine behavior is biological. I didn't just pull that out of my back panty pocket. To say "the link between testosterone and agression in humans is shakey at best" is a trick of semantics and not a real scientific explanation. Do you agree? I read the NYTimes article you provided to support that idea and due to its lack of a proper scientific explanation, the article is what I would call "shakey at best." The behavior of men and women, just like that of other species is partly determined by levels of sex hormones in the body. That's a fact.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4/9
    Socionics
    ???

@Nerd Girl @Xyk : Ok you guys, no offense, but I specifically said that I didn't want this thread to turn into a gender debate. Please take this else where.

A window to the soul

Quote Originally Posted by amerellis View Post
    @Nerd Girl @Xyk : Ok you guys, no offense, but I specifically said that I didn't want this thread to turn into a gender debate. Please take this else where.
    If you're hell bent on micro-managing this three ring circus, then you better speak up and clarify what you mean by "gender debate." You lost me and I'm guessing a few other folks with that; all I'm hearing right now are crickets.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4/9
    Socionics
    ???

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd Girl View Post
    If you're hell bent on micro-managing this three ring circus, then you better speak up and clarify what you mean by "gender debate." You lost me and I'm guessing a few other folks with that; all I'm hearing right now is crickets.
    *crickets*