First 456

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    Not so. Apparently those with tertiary/inferior Ni are highly likely to believe in things like chakras, karma, and telepathy..so Se types can fit in as "fruity" as well.
    I was mostly kidding when I said that. But Se types? How interesting.
    Excuse me, but does this smell like chloroform to you?

Always reserve the right to become smarter at a future point in time, for only a fool limits themselves to all they knew in the past. -Alex

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Antimony View Post
    I was mostly kidding when I said that. But Se types? How interesting.
    Yeah, I didn't get that at first at all, but apparently this is how Ni can manifest in people who don't have Ni as a dom/aux. Apparently people with Ni inferior can also believe in conspiracy theories, think people are out to get them, et al.

I dunno, though. I personally kind of take offense to the suggestion that believing in psi phenomenon is a "childish" usage of Ni...but that's where this conclusion comes from.

Apparently people with Ni inferior can also believe in conspiracy theories, think people are out to get them, et al.
    So can Ni Doms.
    The future is for the unafraid.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

No, people won't fall exactly in one particular type, but there have been other theorists who are somewhat similar to Keirsey who have managed to control themselves from making obtuse statements like ISTJs wear homespun clothing. And Please Understand Me II was updated in the 90's...it wasn't written in the 1950's when many working class people actually did wear home made clothes, still. Give me a break. And you people wonder why someone born in 1987 might look at that and be like "WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS SHIT."
    There's another definition of "homespun":

Simple and homely; unpretentious
    Which, when I think of the ISTJs I know... is kinda true.

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

I find this thread odd, in that it seems somewhat judgmental of Keirsey for being a fairy tale, when the central insight of Jungian psychology, after all, is that we conceive of the world in fairy-tale terms, for lack of a better description of archetypes. Personality, according to Jung, is less about who we are and more about how we unconsciously play our roles in the narrative we conceive of as life.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    There's another definition of "homespun":

Which, when I think of the ISTJs I know... is kinda true.
    Errr...well my grandfather owned multiple pairs of the same tan pants, and I know a young ISTJ who likes to wear black a lot and has multiple pairs of the same designer jeans...but they both also paid/pay attention to their appearance...so maybe understated, but not homely. Both actually very well groomed, the kind of men who wear cologne and that sort of thing.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Errr...well my grandfather owned multiple pairs of the same tan pants, and I know a young ISTJ who likes to wear black a lot and has multiple pairs of the same designer jeans...but they both also paid/pay attention to their appearance...so maybe understated, but not homely. Both actually very well groomed, the kind of men who wear cologne and that sort of thing.
    Yeah, but not very flashy either. That's what I thought he was trying to get at with "homespun". Bad word choice if that's correct.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    Yeah, but not very flashy either. That's what I thought he was trying to get at with "homespun". Bad word choice if that's correct.
    My grandfather was pretty vain for someone so conservative. I mean he could run around in his tan pants and v-necked white tee shirt at home, but if he left the house he was all groomed, more than some men. He took a brush to his nails and softened his face with warm washcloths before shaving, and put moisturizer on his face and Vitalis on his hair. But yeah...his clothes were very conservative and I guess boring, except for his suits, which were still conservative, and his ties were conservative.

The younger guy does different things with his hair and is also kinda vain, even if he also dresses in an ISTJ way...he said he related to my description of my grandfather and his multiple tan pants, and two of the exact same pair of boots in black and brown, lol.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sp
    Socionics
    ILE

Hey I just found this on another site, and I think this is a really, really good alternative that is similar to Keirsey. It takes Keirsey's ideas but remains more general that trying to be too stereotypical and specific.

PTypes

I found the Exuberant type a very good fit for me, after I scored highest in the Hedonist temperament (second highest in Idealist).
    This is a pretty cool alternative. I'm 12 rationalist and 12 hedonist (3 for the other two). And I can relate quite a bit to some of the hedonist types. But overall I'm the most like Inventive (not perfectly though, it leans heavily towards someone a little more 3w4). It tones down some of the more high-E biased stuff and actually regards the type as more Phlegmatic than Sanguine or Choleric. There's more of an artsy/cultured flavor and interestlingly enough regards the type as being highly sensitive to criticism (I tend to switch between this and being very unsensitive). I am closer to the some of the Hedonistic types than to the Solitary, Vigilant, or Dramatic type (correlated to INTP, ENFP and INFP).

So it's a mixed bag. I really feel that function theory is ultimately better, though. I would hate, for example, to test xNFP on some public career exam and be "placed" in a career like personnel or similar. I'm less diplomatic and non-confrontational than one would hope, no matter my consistent dichotomy scoring. If I had to be placed anywhere I'd rather be placed in the SFP professions (which is what Keirsey ultimately is: a career sorter).
    Of course it's function theory ftw And function theory as in the 8 original types, distinguished by a sort of character and "worldview," not some of this stuff cropping up about functions being "used," doing things, and being defined by strength or ability. I think that kind of stuff when taken to extremes and stereotypes can be even worse than than the Keirsey-based stereotyping ("How'd you miss that rock on the sidewalk? LOL Se fail!" "Where are your thousands of possibilities now, Mr. Ne user?")

It seems almost forgotten that a big part of this personality sorting in the first place is to help find the best-fitting careers. And it works pretty well with that.... at least tons more than those career quizzes where I enter "I am NOT good with details" and "I DO NOT want to be in a position of law and authority" and it gives me accountant and police officer as top two career choices

Not so. Apparently those with tertiary/inferior Ni are highly likely to believe in things like chakras, karma, and telepathy..so Se types can fit in as "fruity" as well. Which is very interesting to me, because frankly this is one of the early reasons why I thought I was an N...I was so much into this psychic shop/ghosts type of stuff as a teenager; and even now I'm into Eastern philosophy much more than Western.
    Very initially I thought I was an S for pretty much the same reason. I thought N was more about being all deep and mysterious and psychic. So maybe there are also a few ENxPs out there who mistype themselves as S.....

I dunno, though. I personally kind of take offense to the suggestion that believing in psi phenomenon is a "childish" usage of Ni...but that's where this conclusion comes from.
    "Childish" is probably the wrong word (I can see how you might read offense into that). It is more like tertiary and inferior perspectives are not as well integrated, so they are more raw, sometimes ultilitarian, and sometimes for play/experimentation. For dom/aux, it is more "mature" in that it has been worked with extensively for a long time, it's more of who they are than something focused at a particular activity.
    Last edited by LunaLuminosity; 09-01-2011 at 05:11 PM.