User Tag List

First 3456 Last

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by mal12345 View Post
    So you mean there's a reason NOT to hate him? That maybe Keirsey had a kind of heuristic in mind accompanying those descriptions?
    I don't hate him. He provides another way to look at things. I don't consider personality theory to be a hard science. But it has sufficient predictive ability to be useful.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

Quote Originally Posted by Antimony View Post
    It's fun. It can help me a little bit when it comes to gaining insight into other people's minds. Or somewhat when approaching them.
    I agree. The real purpose of things like the MBTI is to help people gain an understanding about the significant differences between people. This is most useful to managers as they try to address people in terms they can understand.

I haven't seen where the career advice aspects of the MBTI is helpful to the individual so much as to, again, managers who try to place people where they will provide the most productivity.

It has certainly helped me to understand how others interact at work and to see very quickly when someone is a bad fit for a job they hold and why that's likely the case.

I can see people's type and can be helpful in guiding them towards something at work that they might better enjoy and excel at. (And I'm not even a manager.)
    Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint.
    Mark Twain

MBTI
    IsFJ

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    What I see from most other MBTI authors that differs from Keirsey is that they use behavioral descriptions to illustrate a mindset. They do not use behaviors themselves as ways of categorizing people's personalities.

What Keirsey describes, IMO, is social roles. There is a vague connection between social roles & psychological types, but he blows it out of proportion, so that they do become cartoonish stereotypes.

I wrote this in my blog some time ago:
    +1000000

Well said, OA.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    Yeah well that PTypes ISFP description fits me PERFECTLY. And I was Hedonist almost double what I was Idealist.
    Those just seem to be some rather broad descriptions. They might fit an ISFP, but I can see other types fitting in with them as well. (Like ISTJ's are very artistic, etc). So I wouldn't go squarely on this either.

How about this one? http://www.bestfittype.com/isfp.html

Plus, when I do that Ni/Ne test that Vicki Jo has, I come up as Ni.
    What test is that? I don't remember ever seeing a test by her, or is it just a page comparing the two functions and asking which you relate to better?

You have to be really careful with her, because she says stuff like Fe types don't really know what they want from Santa because that's Fi. So she tends to push a lot of people with uncertainty towards NFP, while a few I have seen who really are ENFP she'll make some Ni using type.
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I like Keirsey for its simplicity and I dislike it for the same reason.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Eric B View Post
    Those just seem to be some rather broad descriptions.

ISTJs are uninhibited, impulsive, have wild mood swings, love nature, and show a clear ambivertedness between I and E as well as being artistic? They place a lot of importance on bravery and/or approaching life as an adventure, as well as kindness, sensitivity, and creative accomplishment?

No, I really don't think so. That doesn't sound ISTJ to me. Yes, I think you could potentially fit other types into it somewhat - especially other FPs - but not completely.

As for Best Fit, that ENFP description sounds almost supernatural, and reminds me of someone like Vala Faye or Peacebaby, not me. The SFP descriptions fit me better, a little of ESFP and a little of ISFP.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

I didn't say ISTJ's were all of those things. Just the artistic part. And other types can fit some of the other things.

OK, for the best fit type. VJ and her friends once pointed me towards that one (as the best set or profiles), and I still found the ENFP to be too "Sanguine" to be me, which is what I tended to notice about ENFP profiles, though I'll have to look again to see what you mean by 'supernatural'. She even had suggested that most other ENFP profiles were "contaminated" by ESFP.
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????

I also enjoy seeing what makes other people different, what makes them tick. It is nice that fruitiness has its own letter: N.
    Excuse me, but does this smell like chloroform to you?

Always reserve the right to become smarter at a future point in time, for only a fool limits themselves to all they knew in the past. -Alex

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Eric B View Post
    I didn't say ISTJ's were all of those things. Just the artistic part. And other types can fit some of the other things.

OK, for the best fit type. VJ and her friends once pointed me towards that one (as the best set or profiles), and I still found the ENFP to be too "Sanguine" to be me, which is what I tended to notice about ENFP profiles, though I'll have to look again to see what you mean by 'supernatural'. She even had suggested that most other ENFP profiles were "contaminated" by ESFP.
    ENFP on that profile basically goes again by the Keirsey Idealist definition that they are all mediating social worker types (which is wonderful, I'm just not a very good mediator and I can often be less than diplomatic, though I'm quite sweet when I'm not upset) and suggests that ENFPs can see through strangers, which I cannot. My ESFJ ex said I could see through him and tell when he was lying, but that's certainly not the same thing as seeing some little boy's soul, or going around telling each and every stranger what is special about them and being uber-understanding (again, which is great, a wonderful talent, it's just not quite me).

I'm more about freedom like the ESFP profile emphasizes, a little more earthy, and more into bonding/connecting and "one-up-manship" and a little competition in conversation, while I'm too sensitive to take strong personal attacks like in the ISFP profile.

Black Cat said he found Best Fit to be a good resource when he was deciding between INFP and ISFP. Of course, Black Cat is a 9, so I'm not going to be exactly like him, either.

I really like the PTypes ISFP description, and it's just a fact that I fit Hedonist better than Idealist, and even fit Keirsey's Artisans slightly better than his Idealists.

I remember a long, long time ago (like when I very first got into personality types) I took the PTypes test - just the temperaments, I didn't know how they linked to the individual types at that point so I hadn't read them - and I got Hedonist and I was, like, embarrassed? Because I just took it like it was saying that I was some kind of bad person who didn't think of anyone but my own good time or something lol....now I understand that Hedonist just means Artisan or SP, and that it isn't some moral judgement on me. Now I'm totally fine with it and it makes sense to me.

The main thing I relate to about ENFP descriptions is the standing up for what I believe in, like how I am about protecting my loved ones or defending my political views. But apparently according to this PTypes description of the Exuberant type, they take pride in not being afraid to stand up for what they believe in, too.

Anyway, on Best Fit SFP sounds most like me, on PTypes ISFP sounds most like me, and in Keirsey while I relate to some of ENFP, ESFP and ISFP, I fit the Artisan temperament in terms of highest form of intelligence, where I get my self-respect, and career choices or whatever better than Idealist, which is ultimately the primary point of Keirsey...skills and job placement.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Antimony View Post
    I also enjoy seeing what makes other people different, what makes them tick. It is nice that fruitiness has its own letter: N.
    Not so. Apparently those with tertiary/inferior Ni are highly likely to believe in things like chakras, karma, and telepathy..so Se types can fit in as "fruity" as well. Which is very interesting to me, because frankly this is one of the early reasons why I thought I was an N...I was so much into this psychic shop/ghosts type of stuff as a teenager; and even now I'm into Eastern philosophy much more than Western.