• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Does introvert = more introspective?

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I've heard this and even thought this myself before. What do you think?

in·tro·spec·tion
noun \ˌin-trə-ˈspek-shən\
Definition of INTROSPECTION
: a reflective looking inward : an examination of one's own thoughts and feelings

Examples of INTROSPECTION

a moment of quiet introspection
<not a man given to introspection, he grew impatient with his wife's constant need to discuss their relationship>

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

in·tro·spec·tion
: a reflective looking inward : an examination of one's own thoughts and feelings

<not a man given to introspection, he grew impatient with his wife's constant need to discuss their relationship>

I is correlated with introspection, but so is N. in my opinion, they're roughly equally correlated. as an ENFP I feel like I'm very introspective :D

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
I think introverts tend to be more comfortable in introspection, but both are equally capable of doing it. it just taxes the extraverts bit more and they need to concentrate on it more, while it comes pretty much automatically for introverts

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
it just taxes the extraverts bit more and they need to concentrate on it more, while it comes pretty much automatically for introverts

A bit more, compared to what?

How can anyone ever know someone else's introspection when by definition it is internal?

wolfy

awsm

in·tro·spec·tion

That's layman's terms. Introversion isn't layman's terms in Jungian terms. It is more special than that.

Little_Sticks

yeah sure, I mean I thought that was the point. But um...is it not?

Heh, I dare you to explain MBTI without it. If all else fails (heh-heh), we can have some good jokes about it.

G

Glycerine

I would say "not necessarily". Regardless of type, some people just want in live more in the moment and not have to deal with deep analysis of their problems/dark things/things in general. They don't have an analytical bent. I would say I's are less to prone to that but there are plenty of introspective E's (they seem less likely to share it w/ others though). One of the most introspective people I have ever met was an ENTJ. :)

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That's layman's terms. Introversion isn't layman's terms in Jungian terms. It is more special than that.

+1 Even with the definition listed in the op, there are still different ways to understand ‘introspection’. Someone can introspect in the sense that their thinking is turned inward, but that doesn’t necessarily mean it’s careful reflection. Introverts can glide on automatic thoughts as much as extraverts can. It’s the quality of the reflection that counts, how much responsibility a person is attaching to themselves for its consequences- not so much the quantity of it.

I think the word 'introspection' has a positive association though, implying careful reflection- and when I take that into account, I want to say 'no' to whether or not introverts are necessarily more introspective. I don't think, irl, my experience of people has been that introverts are necessarily more self-aware than extraverts are.

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
I've met a lot of introverts who lacked self awareness. Just because someone thinks about things quietly doesn't mean that their thoughts are more profound.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yeah I wasn't at all implying that "more introspective" automatically meant that it was quality introspection but if we're going to give that caveat, do we also give the caveat that extroverts don't necessarily have more or better awareness about others?

I also wonder in regards to the OP, how introverted SJs fit into that, since typology often says that all SJs usually just follow along with what has already been established by someone else, sort of like drones.

Starry

Yeah I wasn't at all implying that "more introspective" automatically meant that it was quality introspection but if we're going to give that caveat, do we also give the caveat that extroverts don't necessarily have more or better awareness about others?

I also wonder in regards to the OP, how introverted SJs fit into that, since typology often says that all SJs usually just follow along with what has already been established by someone else, sort of like drones.

LOL to bolded. That is a very true statement. Extrovert =/= naturally good with or aware of others LOL.

I also wanted to quickly say with regards to SJs following the established norm like drones...LOL. My ISFJ friend is anything but. In fact...her social and political views are so radical...I often can't comment on them on fb because my other friends would be like??? She is VERY MUCH an individual. Brilliant...and without any sort of 'herd mentality'.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
LOL to bolded. That is a very true statement. Extrovert =/= naturally good with or aware of others LOL.

I think we generalize about these things just to streamline communication and for efficiency. I have this bad habit of focusing on the "outliers" instead of the majority that's underneath the bell curve and this drives one of my friends insane.

I also wanted to quickly say with regards to SJs following the established norm like drones...LOL. My ISFJ friend is anything but. In fact...her social and political views are so radical...I often can't comment on them on fb because my other friends would be like??? She is VERY MUCH an individual. Brilliant...and without any sort of 'herd mentality'.

I thought other types saw SJs as those who make up "the herd"?

Xenon

(blankpages)
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Very generally, yes, I believe there's a definite correlation. That doesn't mean there aren't other factors as well, or that there aren't introverts with very poor self-awareness or extroverts with high self-awareness. I think the comparison to extroverts and people skills is a good one: your preferences can give you more opportunity to develop certain skills, but that doesn't mean you necessarily will, or that it's impossible to develop them otherwise.

Xyk

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Introversion doesn't equal introspection, but I'm sure there's a correlation. Word choice is important.

Zither Keys

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w2
I always thought of it as extraverts being the social butterflies and the introverts as the exclusive club members lol.

Lord Guess

MBTI Type
ENTP
Extraverts are just as capable of introspection as introverts (I myself being an example); it's just not as easy to spot, since we seem so manic a lot of the time :D. An extravert can take time off from other people and think deeply about his or herself, the same way an introvert can go out in public and mingle with others in a social setting. It just tends to be an energy drain; not that we won't like doing it, but I, for one, find myself struggling to keep my energy up after doing it. I can't speak for any introverts, though, but I'd imagine it would be the same feeling that they have in large social settings. I wouldn't imagine that being an introvert would make you automatically better at introspection, just more inclined to it. I know a few extraverts that don't know how to act in social situations, and I know a few introverts that are very good with people, even though they aren't the loudest or most energetic people around.

Zither Keys

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Indeed. If the occasion requires it, I can be quite the socialite. But after all the small talk, flirting, one-on-one's, and just mingling in general... I find that I REALLY have to take some time for myself afterwards. It can be quite exhausting to be constantly around other people. -chuckles to self- I really do admire the extraverts that keep up a five-hour phone conversation or make everyone feel involved so effortlessly.

chicane

MBTI Type
INTP
I doubt the correlation because: One can reflect on their own thoughts alone or in public. Introspection can be an active state of mind where regardless of the place and situation, one can probe into the depth and significance of it to themselves.
I or E both orient in opposite directions...and it's usually towards an object or a subject as for it's external or internal meaning. An introvert might very well focus on the thing and forgets to relate to it or find personal meaning for it. By the same token, an extrovert can be fully engaging with others while being reflective on themselves.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Introspect and intuit have the exact same meaning; both mean to look inward. Introvert means to turn inward and is an adjective in the typology context. So no, introverted =/= introspective.

G

Ginkgo

in·tro·spec·tion

Introverted awareness doesn't necessarily mean you deliberately examine, scrutinize, or praise your own thoughts. In fact, introversion suggests that one might be repulsed by influences that would disturb one's inner-world, even if those influences happen to be one's extraverted side. Yes, people are often that messy and conflicted.