User Tag List

123 Last

ThatGirl

Default Why cant I tap into my intuition at will?

I've noticed that I can't just call upon my intuition to do something brilliant. I either see something emerge and instantly jump on it, or I have to take a step back, and have no clue until I gather more information. Sometimes this causes long periods of being stagnant until I see things line up again.

Does this mean I really am an S? All my life I have relied heavily on intuition and never gave it a second thought because it just was. I thought everyone saw things the way I did. I learned later they do not.

I can't use intuition to plan. I have to see first then I can create a plan. But I either see it or I don't. Is this weird?

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

It comes outside of thoughts. Stop the mental chatter, don't try to solve the problem, meditate. And even then, you don't really know if anything will happen.

ThatGirl

Well that's what I do, but Id like to be more proactive as things come up without waiting for insight to do my thinking for me. Maybe I am just a dumb intuitive and miss portions of the possibility in front of me. I don't see it until it is dumbed down a bit. Or maybe mentally lazy.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

iNtuition is a perceiving tool, not a judging tool.

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    Well that's what I do, but Id like to be more proactive as things come up without waiting for insight to do my thinking for me. Maybe I am just a dumb intuitive and miss portions of the possibility in front of me. I don't see it until it is dumbed down a bit. Or maybe mentally lazy.
    Have you ever concentrated on the birth of a thought? First there is the flash, even now as I am writing this, there was a moment, just a split-second, when this idea came into my mind as a non-structured, but fully functional concept. Then, it was translated into sentences so that I can communicate it. I think that if I could start thinking on that level I could take the most out of intuition. I need to get rid of words.

ThatGirl

Yeah stuff like that comes to me out of nowhere. Like you're sitting thinking about some thing else, and some minute part of that thought is similar and connects to something different. Suddenly in less than a second its like I have just experienced watching a full length film. But I can't remember the details of it, just a feeling and sense of direction.

Other times I just see things slowly lining up, like watching a tide receed and waiting for the right moment to join the already established momentum.

I can't just sit down and create a momentum. Its very distressing at times. Like when I see a tide turning and feel powerless against it, because my insight hasn't come yet.

ThatGirl

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    iNtuition is a perceiving tool, not a judging tool.
    Surely there is a way to establish an at will relationship with it.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    Surely there is a way to establish an at will relationship with it.
    Yeah, but it doesn't "do" things like make plans. All you can do is seek input in the past that got it fired up before.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I'm not sure if you're actually talking about Jungian iNtuition (a preference for theory and abstract thought) or if you just mean bursts of creativity, which isn't really intuition, or you mean something closer to moments of psychic-seeming insight, which is apparently not the sort of intuition we're discussing in personality theory.

Ginkgo

Forcing perception is like trying to force relaxation.