• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Pictorial Guide to the Ne/Ni Distinction (the pics in no particular order this time)

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Maybe I am missing the point, but I thought the point of a "guide" was to help people understand things. And if they're overly abstract, then their meaning is unclear to the majority of people. Guides are meant to be clear. So if it is abstract, it might as well be easy to read.

And if you meant it as an intellectual exercise to argue over which pictures are more Ne or Ni, then you ought to rename it, because that's confusing people and not guiding them. I will guarantee you that if this thread is like the other one, people won't come to it to find an easy-to-understand pictorial guide.

I like the idea of an abstract pictorial guide. But sometimes metaphors are simple, and sometimes they are only understood by the person choosing them. Consider the number of Intuitives who didn't "get" the pictures in your last thread. They required too much explanation.

Again, maybe I'm missing the point. Maybe you want them to be abstract enough that they aren't helpful to everyone. But from a Te perspective based on efficiency, I'm just saying that there could be clearer pictures.*

*Although to reiterate, I did like the two that I pointed out quite a lot, and they were very abstract, but still helpful, which is the point. It's not a pictorial guide if it requires a paragraph of accompanying text.

I'm not afraid to provide a paragraph of explanation per picture. I don't believe that explaining them invalidates the idea of a pictorial guide.

Picture #2, which qualifies as clear to you, is only one face of the Ne. The other face is the social activist, or radical for social change ("progress").

I had no illusion that everybody would agree on all of them, or even some of them. So this time I chose more than two representations per function. The fact that you, as a sensor, liked two of them, spells success to me.

Santosha

MBTI Type
HUMR
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
How did you see each picture Mal? Do you care to offer up explanations on the first 8?

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
How did you see each picture Mal? Do you care to offer up explanations on the first 8?

I've explained some of them, but only those that were questioned. People have had the most trouble with the Stimpy cartoon and the ring face. The Rube Goldberg machine is self-explanatory, as long as I limit this to Ne/Ni. It could also be used to represent the inner workings and internal tinkerings of the Ti mentality.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Is this still a guessing game for the original pictures here? OK...

-Ni (at first I thought it was a representation of Ne as synthesis, but now the fishwoman looks like it would have some deeper individual meaning to an Ni user..)
-(link not working)
-Ne (wide-eyed, about to start something.... Stimpy ftw)
-???
-Ni (focused and calm)
-Ne (things going everywhere)
-Ni ("it's all in your head")
-Ne (colorful abstractions building upon each other to a picture, also it's a much-fancier version of the stuff I doodle in the margins when I get bored :wink:)

Sure is hard to find pictures to represent introverted functions, isn't it?

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Is this still a guessing game for the original pictures here? OK...

-Ni (at first I thought it was a representation of Ne as synthesis, but now the fishwoman looks like it would have some deeper individual meaning to an Ni user..)
-(link not working)
-Ne (wide-eyed, about to start something.... Stimpy ftw)
-???
-Ni (focused and calm)
-Ne (things going everywhere)
-Ni ("it's all in your head")
-Ne (colorful abstractions building upon each other to a picture, also it's a much-fancier version of the stuff I doodle in the margins when I get bored :wink:)

Sure is hard to find pictures to represent introverted functions, isn't it?

I called 4 out of 8 Ni pictures. But yes, just now I googled "Ni pictures" just to see if I could make the searching process easier, and didn't see anything relevant to this at all. I googled "Ne pictures" and came up with a lot of pictures of one "Ne Yo."

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My initial internal impressions:

Ni
Ne
Ne
Ni
Leaning Ni
Leaning Ne
Ni
Ne

G

Ginkgo

The 5th one seems to emphasize both internal and external goings on.

Can I just call it N?

The first one would have been Ne if it wasn't so blatantly paradoxical. Obviously, that made me go with Ni. Fo shizzle.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The 5th one seems to emphasize both internal and external goings on.

Can I just call it N?

The first one would have been Ne if it wasn't so blatantly paradoxical. Obviously, that made me go with Ni. Fo shizzle.

The "reality" paintings are either too fantastic for anything but an artistic rendering, so that's Ni, or they are realistic but go beyond the mainstream, so that's Ne.

The more dynamic art is either dark and foreboding (Ni) or bright and inviting (Ne).

The ring face is just too weird to be Ne. Stimpy appears too outgoing to be Ni.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ni.jpg

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My initial internal impressions:

Ni
Ne
Ne
Ni
Leaning Ni
Leaning Ne
Ni
Ne

It's not a guide without something to do the guiding, so I'll do the honor of allowing this post to stand as the answer key completing the pictorial guide.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG Bob, what did I win??? :)