User Tag List

First 5678917 Last

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

well, this thread is a real rainbow of topics.

To you Texans, I'd just like to that the notion that the top 1% of this country earned their wealth is amazingly fantiful.
    It's also an insult to every decent poor person, and too much praise for every scumbag that happens to be rich.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
    Over 80% who are in the top 1% were born into it. Of the less than 20% who graduated to the the top 1%, over half were in the top 5%. I believe the figure was 4-6% of those who are in the top 1% "earned" it. How of many those do you imagine are lottery winners? One of the biggest American myths is that the bottom can get to the top by tightening their boot straps and working hard. The statistics don't lie. America has low social mobility.
    Why does it have to be achieved in one life time? Why is making your family progressively richer and passing it on a crime? Should all wealth be given up at death?

The top 1% who own 33% of the nation's wealth pay about 33% of the taxes. That is called paying your share.
    That's how a flat tax would work anyways. In reality, the tax structure is progressive so the rich pay a higher percentage of their share than the poor.

but it doesn't matter...*gets nudged out the door by whatever*
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Why the fuck aren't you guys taking the socio-economic discussion elsewhere?!?
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Oh, and I'd like to add this:
    It comes from the CIA World Factbook about the USA.

those at the bottom lack the education and the professional/technical skills of those at the top and, more and more, fail to get comparable pay raises, health insurance coverage, and other benefits. Since 1975, practically all the gains in household income have gone to the top 20% of households.
    Long-term problems include inadequate investment in economic infrastructure, rapidly rising medical and pension costs of an aging population, sizable trade and budget deficits, and stagnation of family income in the lower economic groups.
    Even the CIA admits this stuff is a problem.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    Why the fuck aren't you guys taking the socio-economic discussion elsewhere?!?
    Because it's still here.
    I think a mod is going to have to move it.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

ByMySword

Cool

Over 80% who are in the top 1% were born into it. Of the less than 20% who graduated to the the top 1%, over half were in the top 5%. I believe the figure was 4-6% of those who are in the top 1% "earned" it. How of many those do you imagine are lottery winners? One of the biggest American myths is that the bottom can get to the top by tightening their boot straps and working hard. The statistics don't lie. America has low social mobility.
    So? Somewhere along the way someone earned it. I don't want anyone taking the wealth my family worked hard to get, no matter how much it is. So why should they be ok with it? Because they can afford it? No. That's not good enough. They owe no obligation to help anyone. They pay their taxes as do we all.

Edit: Once again Meta, you beat me to the punch. Touche, sir.

MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

I don't think they earned it. That's where the main disagreance comes from.
    Some times the level of wealth is so vast that I don't even think an one person CAN earn it.

Quote Originally Posted by ByMySword View Post
    So? Somewhere along the way someone earned it. I don't want anyone taking the wealth my family worked hard to get, no matter how much it is. So why should they be ok with it? Because they can afford it? No. That's not good enough. They owe no obligation to help anyone. They pay their taxes as do we all.
    Bullshit. All who participate in society are obligated to help fellow citizens.
    If you don't want to have any responsiblity for anyone else, then you can abandon society and all of its benefits.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

You forgot personality traits.

I never said I "intuit every one of a person's values, allegiances and sympathies simply from their birthplace and political persuasion." I said I have an emotional reaction that leads me to overgeneralize or jest when confronted by those who who are right wing minded. I also have an emotional reaction to those who try to put words into my mouth, but I think I'll leave this thread before you see it.
    Okay, then I put words in your mouth. If that's true, then you're essentially admitting that you judge people unfairly based on previous experiences with people who are tangentially similar. You can have your pick.

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    To you Texans, I'd just like to that the notion that the top 1% of this country earned their wealth is amazingly fantiful.
    It's also an insult to every decent poor person, and too much praise for every scumbag that happens to be rich.
    That's a very easy thing to say, because it's always more socially acceptable to disparage people higher up on the socioeconomic ladder than lower down. But if I were a rich person who had gotten my money through my own efforts, or even the efforts of my parents, I'd bristle at the suggestion that I didn't earn it (in the first instance) or deserve it (in the second). Saying I deserve that money is not at all the same thing as saying that decent poor people would have money if they just worked harder.

Let's say two people open businesses next door to each other and work equally hard at them but one fails and one succeeds. The successful man has earned his money. It's not a disparagement of the man who failed to say that the successful man earned his money. There is nothing implicit in that statement that says the man who failed deserved his failure.

Sometimes hard work is rewarded, sometimes it is not. The world is littered with hard working people that never got out from under, and people who succeeded where they have failed are a convenient target for the anger that has no real target except for the vagaries of life.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Bullshit. All who participate in society are obligated to help fellow citizens.
    If you don't want to have any responsiblity for anyone else, then you can abandon society and all of its benefits.
    That argument is often tossed around. I'm sure the rich would gladly give up their entitlement to such social benefits as welfare, social security, etc to no longer be taxed, or at least not as heavily. Unfortunately the only people who don't pay taxes are those who leech off of the services the rich pay for.

Bar Stool Economics | Wise Bread
    But sir, your opinion is wrong.
    TANSTAAFL!

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Mr Galt- if you are here to discuss and further your understanding of the MBTI why are you so rarely found in those threads? From a quick scanning of where you have posted, the Graveyard seems to be your preference, and that isn't exactly MBTI oriented.
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett