User Tag List

First 253334353637 Last

MBTI
    OMNi

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    New rule:

You cannot accept the virtues of a function without accepting the potential flaws.

There. Does that solve the argument?
    No, I would say the rule should be that you can't really interpret how a function works unless you consider it in relation to the other present functions.

In other words, extrapolating what flaws may exist in a judging function if there was no perceiving function to correct the flaws is silly.

In fact, it could be argued there are 8 different types of Fe and 8 different types of Fi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    OMNi: Wisdom at the cost of Sanity.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
    No, I would say the rule should be that you can't really interpret how a function works unless you consider it in relation to the other present functions.

In other words, extrapolating what flaws may exist in a judging function if there was no perceiving function to correct the flaws is silly.

In fact, it could be argued there are 8 different types of Fe and 8 different types of Fi.
    Then why are you raging against all Fi when there are 8 different types? And then it's not what you have but how you use it.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    OMNi

Then why are you raging against all Fi when there are 8 different types? And then it's not what you have but how you use it.
    It's hard to feel prejudiced against such a dumb function. I feel sorry for the people who have to use it in any of its 8 varieties. Intuitive speculation measured to internal standards that results in feeling? It seems so subjective and unsubstantiated to me, but it is apparently objective to the person who is using it. In short, it is narrowed feeling. It isn't broad like Fe, but perhaps that means Fi has a bit more depth to it. Its simplicity also makes it more practical than Fe.

I think it is only when people attempt to use Fi broadly that it utterly fails. It has no sense whatsoever of how society should function. It is too inherently egocentric for that, and much better suited for individual happinesss.

In short...

Fi is to the individual what Fe is to society.

That being said...

Fi is to society and Fe is to the individual what the Titanic is to the iceberg. Fi should never be utilized broadly and Fe should never be utilized narrowly.

In theory, a well developed person would have two sets of values. One set that is essential to his/her individual happiness and one set for what he/she believes is essential to the happiness of society. By all reasonable accounts, those two sets should not correspond (unless you are Ayn Rand or Karl Marx). What is essential to an individual's happiness is not necessarily essential to society's happiness and vice versa.

If any of that makes any sense whatsoever to anyone besides me.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Kiddo, I give up.

It is pointless to argue with you. You simply won't accept Fi into your worldview of things that are acceptable.

Which, you know, is kind of ironic.

MBTI
    OMNi

Kiddo, I give up.

It is pointless to argue with you. You simply won't accept Fi into your worldview of things that are acceptable.

Which, you know, is kind of ironic.
    Did you stop reading my post half way through?

I accept it, I just don't like it. And take my word for it, it is as useless in deciphering society as Fe is as useless in deciphering conduct that best corresponds with individual happiness. A well balanced person needs to utilize both. Saddly, I am not "balanced".

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
    Did you stop reading my post half way through?

I accept it, I just don't like it. And take my word for it, it is as useless in deciphering society as Fe is as useless in deciphering conduct that best corresponds with individual happiness. A well balanced person needs to utilize both. Saddly, I am not "balanced".
    I don't remember if I read it or not. I'm just sick of it. All of this F stuff is tiring me out.

Ideally there should be both but according to MBTI, an individual will naturally lean towards one or the other.

I'm just... very tired...

MBTI
    INFJ

Is this Fi or Fe?

A friend emails to ask if we can take a walk. I explain that I'm using a skin cream that 1) irritates my skin which 2) causes people to stare. I suggest we get together for coffee at her house instead.

In response she says she has to check her schedule because she still has to clean her classroom before she goes away for a few days on Saturday. [Wait - didn't you just ask me for a walk?] I say it sounds like she's too busy now, we can try when she comes back.

Another friend, when she hears about the skin issue says "Of course."
    Proud Female Rider in Maverick's Bike Club.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Jae, that's not Fi versus Fe, that's just somebody being obnoxious. Do not confuse the two.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

it's worth being mentioned that both types of feeling are genuine. Fi genuinely feels based on unconsciously chosen standards, and Fe genuinely feels based on standards borrowed from the environment.

it's not like when an Fi or Fe user is crying, one is somehow less genuine than the other...

Enneagram
    1w2

Merged two threads about the same thing with the same people saying the same things.