User Tag List

First 12202122232432 Last

MBTI
    INFP

Have you ever tried to take a functions test? It might show which one of them you use the most.

Fe is WAY easier to explain than Fi.

I like the way Lenore Thompson defines them:

Fe: Every need relates a person to part of the socially shared world, at a specific time and place. For example, "I need you to cook dinner tonight." A need makes you part of the world outside yourself rather than a self-contained entity. It gives you a stake in the social arena.

Everything that a person says or does expresses a choice about who he has common bonds with: where that person's life is embedded. "Life is with people."

A person declares his loyalties via arbitrary behaviors: behaviors that show that he is not merely pursuing his needs on his own, just efficient means to an end, but that his needs overlap with specific other people. Through arbitrary behaviors whose meaning derives from shared social convention, you cast your lot with others. Your fate is intrinsically bound to the fate of those for whom you have feelings.

Fi: A need exists entirely within the person. For example, "I need food" or "I need companionship". It can be met in an infinity of different ways. I might get food and companionship from having you cook dinner for me tonight, but I might get my needs met in other ways, too. A need and its conditions of fulfillment are completely different things.

Feeling

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Hmm..I'm not sure of those definitions. But then I also don't see myself falling into either description completely - I take some of both.

I do agree though that there are several very good threads on the forum about Fi and Fe, and I find it is often more helpful to read what others write about their own view of the function, since they are the ones who embody that function and know what it's all about firsthand. For example, reading a dominant Fi write about their perspectives might give you a much richer, fuller understanding of what Fi actually entails, than a short description of it. Same for Fe.

I think I've come to a better understanding of type just by interacting on this board, and seeing who I tended to relate more to than others -- much more than I gained by reading a lot of material on the net and taking the tests - all of which tended to be contradictory (for me, at least :-).
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx

Introverted Feeling

that link might be helpful
    INFP 4w5
    facebook
    The pain won't let me get away.

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by raincheckx3 View Post
    i'm trying to figure out which one i identify with more
    can someone please offer some guidance?
    Fi is primarily concerned with establishing values for the individual. Fe with the values for society. So, an Fi values what makes me or any other given individual a happier person and Fe what makes society better.

Fe compartmentalizes interpersonal activities. Seeks closure. Wants dealings with people to be well organized and for all parties to be clearly aware of all terms. Basically Fe is External terms of relations between people. Fe is primarily concerned with finding a well structured environment where all people adhere to the same set of values and ultimately where all others agree with their values.

Fi on the on the other hand tends not to be very expressive of values and terms of relations. Does not expect for people to accept their values or acknowledge them to any degree. Fi is primarily concerned with finding an environment where he can be left alone to pursue his own values.

Fi derives values from within. For example if an Fi were to see a motorcyclist fall and hit his head, he'd step aside and think about how this must have felt. Use his own emotions to give empathy to that person. Yet an Fe would immediately respond, OUCH, that must have hurt! How does an Fe know this, because he has been told by others that this is how it feels and this is an appropriate way to respond to the situation. If values in the community of an Fi were to change, the Fi would either withdraw and feel repressed, or express discontent immediately. As for Fe on the other hand 'when in Rome, do as the Romans do'.

You can think of Soren Kierkegaard as a representative of Fi, a quiet melancholy author, and Vladimir Lenin, a political iconoclast. as representative of Fe.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

“No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

What about Fo vs. Fum?
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

MBTI
    OMNi

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffster View Post
    What about Fo vs. Fum?
    Uhg...I've heard that joke way too many times on this forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    OMNi: Wisdom at the cost of Sanity.

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
    Uhg...I've heard that joke way too many times on this forum.
    Haha, sorry, I'm still new ya know.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

MBTI
    TiSe

Jung examples says:
    Feeling in the extraverted attitude is orientated by objective data, i.e. the object is the indispensable determinant of the kind of feeling. It agrees with objective values. If one has always known feeling as a subjective fact, the nature of extraverted feeling will not immediately be understood, since it has freed itself as fully as possible from the subjective factor, and has, instead, become wholly subordinated to the influence of the object. Even where it seems to show a certain independence of the quality of the concrete object, it is none the less under the spell of. traditional or generally valid standards of some sort. I may feel constrained, for instance, to use the predicate 'beautiful' or 'good', not because I find the object 'beautiful' or 'good' from my own subjective feeling, but because it is fitting and politic so to do; and fitting it certainly is, inasmuch as a contrary opinion would disturb the general feeling situation. A feeling-judgment such as this is in no way a simulation or a lie -- it is merely an act of accommodation. A picture, for instance, may be termed beautiful, because a picture that is hung in a drawing-room and bearing a well-known signature is generally assumed to be beautiful, or because the predicate 'ugly' might offend the family of the fortunate possessor, or because there is a benevolent intention on the part of the visitor to create a pleasant feeling-atmosphere, to which end everything must be felt as agreeable. Such feelings are governed by the standard of the objective determinants. As such they are genuine, and represent the total visible feeling-function.
    Introverted feeling is determined principally by the subjective factor. This means that the feeling-judgment differs quite as essentially from extraverted feeling as does the introversion of thinking from extraversion. It is unquestionably difficult to give an intellectual presentation of the introverted feeling process, or even an approximate [p. 490] description of it, although the peculiar character of this kind of feeling simply stands out as soon as one becomes aware of it at all. Since it is primarily controlled by subjective preconditions, and is only secondarily concerned with the object, this feeling appears much less upon the surface and is, as a rule, misunderstood. It is a feeling which apparently depreciates the object; hence it usually becomes noticeable in its negative manifestations. The existence of a positive feeling can be inferred only indirectly, as it were. Its aim is not so much to accommodate to the objective fact as to stand above it, since its whole unconscious effort is to give reality to the underlying images. It is, as it were, continually seeking an image which has no existence in reality, but of which it has had a sort of previous vision. From objects that can never fit in with its aim it seems to glide unheedingly away. It strives after an inner intensity, to which at the most, objects contribute only an accessory stimulus. The depths of this feeling can only be divined -- they can never be clearly comprehended. It makes men silent and difficult of access; with the sensitiveness of the mimosa, it shrinks from the brutality of the object, in order to expand into the depths of the subject. It puts forward negative feeling-judgments or assumes an air of profound indifference, as a measure of self-defence.

MBTI
    OMNi

This is Fi out of control.

Fi example.

Notice how she acted despite how everyone else was acting. (subjective)

This is Fe out of control.

Fe example.

Notice how she provided reasons and explanations for why she felt the way she did. (objective)

Any questions?
    Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    OMNi: Wisdom at the cost of Sanity.