User Tag List

First 10181920212230 Last

Results 191 to 200 of 414

  1. #191
    Order Now! pure_mercury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    6,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChick View Post
    Inequality is not the same thing as injustice.

    Oranges are not apples, five is not four, etc., but there is nothing inherently unjust about there differences, i.e. their being inherently "unequal".

    Freedom seeks to abolish injustice, *not* inequality.

    It is okay that some people are smarter, taller, prettier, or wealthier than others, however it is *not* okay to force a pretty girl to don ugly clothes and make-up just so the "uglier" girls will feel better about themselves, nope..that would be grossly unjust!!
    I agree wholeheartedly. People are unequal in natural talents and acquired skills, and some pursuits are awarded with more due to the scarcity problem.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

  2. #192
    `~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    9,849

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    It's not all about equal opportunity, sometimes it is about equal guarantees.

    For that reason, I take equality to be the equality of what is, not of what potentially could be.
    But what is will *never* be equal. Do you not realize that human beings are living things that compete for limited resources.

    Competition exists, and there is no amount of denying or "restructuring" that can change this fact!!!

    *confused*

    Your definition of equality seems more akin to a stifling enslavement to me.
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

    "A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

    "That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

    Veritatem dies aperit

    Ride si sapis

    Intelligentle sparkles

  3. #193
    ^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp
    Posts
    13,909

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChick View Post
    But what is will *never* be equal. Do you not realize that human beings are living things that compete for limited resources.

    Competition exists, and there is no amount of denying or "restructuring" that can change this fact!!!

    *confused*

    Your definition of equality seems more like a stifling enslavement to me.
    It is. It looks like I need to clear something up.
    I do not advocate total equality. Such a thing is essentially hive-minded fascism, and not really possible. In comparison, the ultimate freedom model is total anarchy, and I think justice(as I defined it) is best represented by Communism, because it assigns based on needs and abilities.

    I was not advocating any of these points, but rather, using them for their extreme nature. I was trying to define the furthest most corners of my triangular contiuum. By giving you the most extreme(and therefore most simplistic) forms, I intended to lay-out the lowest possible descriptions of freedom, justice, and equality in society, and how they conflict, so that I could build my logical point up from there.

    Ahem... Perhaps my plans were a bit epic for the length of this topic.
    Go to sleep, iguana.


    _________________________________
    INTP. Type 1>6>5. sx/sp.
    Live and let live will just amount to might makes right

  4. #194
    heart on fire
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    8,457

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Galt View Post
    Please redirect all further debate on this topic to private messaging with me. If you think it is important enough to be public, then make a different thread. This thread is not about age of consent. It is about broad spectrum political systems. Thank you.
    You are the one who opened the topic up, publicly in this thread. Don't tell me what I may and may not do to discuss it. You may chose not to respond but you have no place telling me how to react to it. Thank you.

    If the moderators feel it has veered off too far from the topic, they will split it off.

  5. #195
    not to be trusted miss fortune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Enneagram
    827 sp/so
    Posts
    20,128

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whatever
    And children aren't old enough to give consent- they don't know what they are doing- that was a rather horrible comment of you to make. It's like saying "she was drunk, she was asking for it" which is NOT the case!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Galt
    Telling me that children are incapable of making decisions for themselves (even about sex) is probably the easiest way to make me angry. For that matter, saying anybody is incapable of such a thing. To deny them that is to deny them their humanity. If you choose to do something, you consented to doing it. If you were forced, that voids it. Nothing else does. Ignorance doesn't count.
    Where you got yourself into trouble- do you not realize that there are situations other than being physically forced that are considered rape? They have just as disasterous of a psychological effect.

    That one comment is absolutley horrible :sad:
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

  6. #196
    no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    4,516

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    Wow. So you just dismiss any sort of study of child development and what people are capable of in so far as judgement at different ages?
    Whatever studies have shown were probably reported in err.

    True the frontal lobe -- that part of the organ responsible for informed rational acumen is underdeveloped, however decision making in and of itself is by no means hindered by age.
    we fukin won boys

  7. #197
    Senior Member Mr Galt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Posts
    294

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    You are the one who opened the topic up, publicly in this thread. Don't tell me what I may and may not do to discuss it. You may chose not to respond but you have no place telling me how to react to it. Thank you.

    If the moderators feel it has veered off too far from the topic, they will split it off. It is not up to you.
    I may suggest that you do something. I am not forcing you.

    As to the real topic of this thread...

    So you say, but not everyone does. As you can see, many thinkers have decided to try and enforce or guide equal living standards. It's not all about equal opportunity, sometimes it is about equal guarantees.

    For that reason, I take equality to be the equality of what is, not of what potentially could be.
    The only guarantee in life is death, so we already have equal guarantees. Yes, this is rather clich
    But sir, your opinion is wrong.
    TANSTAAFL!

  8. #198
    no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    4,516

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    You really don't know how disasterous the effects of such a thing can have do you? The idea that someone who is not in thier top mental capacity can make such a life altering decision is ludicrous! I really can't beleive that you said that- I would have thought that even you might have the common sense and compassion not to rationalize pedophilia and rape
    This is lawlable.

    I know kids who make more socially appropriate decisions and psychologically "non-damaging" decisions and make those decisions quicker than some adults.

    You're really arguing that by age 18 everyone is capable of this; and that everyone who's not met that benchmark is inversely capable of the same?

    And he didn't rationalize rape. He said explicitly that it's not the same as pedophilia. The police rule it under the same category, but it's really not even close.
    we fukin won boys

  9. #199
    ^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp
    Posts
    13,909

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Galt View Post
    As to the real topic of this thread...


    The only guarantee in life is death, so we already have equal guarantees. Yes, this is rather clich
    I think you might agree that very much of society and the desires of its people are built around the avoidance of death. That's what security and sustenance are all about.
    So we're working within the bounds of life alone. Society aims to create guarantees other then death. In fact, many people feel like society should guarantee them an escape from death, hence the debate about the "right to health-care" going on in this country right now.
    Go to sleep, iguana.


    _________________________________
    INTP. Type 1>6>5. sx/sp.
    Live and let live will just amount to might makes right

  10. #200
    not to be trusted miss fortune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Enneagram
    827 sp/so
    Posts
    20,128

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nocapszy View Post
    This is lawlable.

    I know kids who make more socially appropriate decisions and psychologically "non-damaging" decisions and make those decisions quicker than some adults.

    You're really arguing that by age 18 everyone is capable of this; and that everyone who's not met that benchmark is inversely capable of the same?

    And he didn't rationalize rape. He said explicitly that it's not the same as pedophilia. The police rule it under the same category, but it's really not even close.
    There's other situations that it could apply to other than just young age for instance, inebriation, or mental deficiency
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Similar Threads

  1. [Fe] How can I use Fe instead of Fi?
    By Myths Of Zephyr in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 64
    Last Post: 11-04-2016, 12:18 AM
  2. esfp/isfp: se versus fi; who is leading the race?
    By wolfy in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-17-2015, 06:22 PM
  3. [Fi] Fe in an Fi household (Welp.)
    By Ling in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-25-2012, 07:59 PM
  4. What's the difference between hurt Fe and hurt Fi?
    By Thalassa in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 07-25-2010, 01:32 AM
  5. [NF] Living Fe from an Fi perspective
    By sculpting in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-09-2009, 07:43 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO