User Tag List

First 9171819202129 Last

Results 181 to 190 of 414

  1. #181
    ^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp
    Posts
    13,911

    Default

    Hah! Of course freedom and equality oppose each other.
    Look, in order to create a perfectly even(equal) wealth distribution in this country, a large number of regulations would be required(regulations that inherently invade on your freedoms).

    On the other hand, if we make no effort to maintain equality against individual will, then what will immediately begin is a predatory, Darwinian game in which winners crush losers, and the sly horde riches stolen from the naive.
    Not very equal.

    There's a silly joke that demonstrates how freedom and equality oppose each other. At HomestarRunner.com, there was a clip in which Marzipan was teaching a kindergarten class, and she only gave her students crayons that couldn't write, reasoning that it would prevent any one student from artistically outshining the others.
    Do you see how this absurd situation examplifies my point?
    The freedom to pursue anything better or do anything greater than anyone else automatically creates inequality.

    Justice is seperate, too, because it encrouages the idea the people should be forcably punished or rewarded on merrits. This idea conflicts with both freedom and equality.
    Go to sleep, iguana.


    _________________________________
    INTP. Type 1>6>5. sx/sp.
    Live and let live will just amount to might makes right

  2. #182
    Senior Member Mr Galt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Posts
    294

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Hah! Of course freedom and equality oppose each other.
    Look, in order to create a perfectly even(equal) wealth distribution in this country, a large number of regulations would be required(regulations that inherently invade on your freedoms).

    On the other hand, if we make no effort to maintain equality against individual will, then what will immediately begin is a predatory, Darwinian game in which winners crush losers, and the sly horde riches stolen from the naive.
    Not very equal.

    There's a silly joke that demonstrates how freedom and equality oppose each other. At HomestarRunner.com, there was a clip in which Marzipan was teaching a kindergarten class, and she only gave her students crayons that couldn't write, reasoning that it would prevent any one student from artistically outshining the others.
    Do you see how this absurd situation examplifies my point?
    The freedom to pursue anything better or do anything greater than anyone else automatically creates inequality.

    Justice is seperate, too, because it encrouages the idea the people should be forcably punished or rewarded on merrits. This idea conflicts with both freedom and equality.
    What you are describing is not equality. It's stacking the deck. And please stop spelling merit with two r's. It's killing my soul. And exemplifies has no a.
    But sir, your opinion is wrong.
    TANSTAAFL!

  3. #183
    `~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    9,849

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    There's a silly joke that demonstrates how freedom and equality oppose each other. At HomestarRunner.com, there was a clip in which Marzipan was teaching a kindergarten class, and she only gave her students crayons that couldn't write, reasoning that it would prevent any one student from artistically outshining the others.
    Do you see how this absurd situation examplifies my point?
    The freedom to pursue anything better or do anything greater than anyone else automatically creates inequality.
    .
    True, and your point?!?!?
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

    "A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

    "That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

    Veritatem dies aperit

    Ride si sapis

    Intelligentle sparkles

  4. #184
    a white iris elfinchilde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    MBTI
    type
    Posts
    1,465

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Galt View Post
    From what I am seeing here, you have no opinion but a large collection of facts.
    my opinion has been more than clearly stated. Excuse me if you're unable to see subtlety, nor dual perspectives, nor use facts to bolster what is essentially a rational argument.

    In a debate, one engages only those capable of solid repartee. I perceive I'm wasting my time with a child who only knows his own emotive perception of what he is arguing about. Time out, then.

    Final post here.
    You gave me hyacinths first a year ago;
    They called me the hyacinth girl.
    Yet when we came back, late, from the Hyacinth garden,
    Your arms full, and your hair wet, I could not
    Speak, and my eyes failed, I was neither
    Living nor dead, and I knew nothing,
    Looking into the heart of light, the silence.

    --T.S Eliot, The Wasteland

  5. #185
    `~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    9,849

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Galt View Post
    And please stop spelling merit with two r's. It's killing my soul. And exemplifies has no a.
    Galt, your writing has been less than perfect as well, so please refrain from being a spelling nazi!!! (After all, it hurts my soul)
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

    "A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

    "That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

    Veritatem dies aperit

    Ride si sapis

    Intelligentle sparkles

  6. #186
    ^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp
    Posts
    13,911

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Galt View Post
    What you are describing is not equality. It's stacking the deck. And please stop spelling merit with two r's. It's killing my soul. And exemplifies has no a.
    Yes, yes it is, It's equality. Things are equal, therefore, it's equality.
    And I'm sure I spelled some things wrong, I typed fast and didn't spell-check.
    I couldn't remember if merit was supposed to have one or two Ts.
    What relevance is this? If you're letting my minor spelling errors get to you then I think you're falling apart.

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChick View Post
    True, and your point?!?!?
    Well, he asked how the two conflicted, so I explained.
    Go to sleep, iguana.


    _________________________________
    INTP. Type 1>6>5. sx/sp.
    Live and let live will just amount to might makes right

  7. #187
    Senior Member Mr Galt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Posts
    294

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Yes, yes it is, It's equality. Things are equal, therefore, it's equality.
    And I'm sure I spelled some things wrong, I typed fast and didn't spell-check.
    I couldn't remember if merit was supposed to have one or two Ts.
    What relevance is this? If you're letting my minor spelling errors get to you then I think you're falling apart.
    Where does that come from? I just want you to stop spelling merit like that...

    As far as intervening to make all results the same, that is not equality. Some are being given more or less by the system intentionally to balance results out.
    But sir, your opinion is wrong.
    TANSTAAFL!

  8. #188
    ^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp
    Posts
    13,911

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    Don't you realize that it's signifigantly easier to function in a cooperative society than to have to watch your back at every turn and get your own food and not to know who to trust when things go wrong?
    I'm going to have to second her on this. Most humans act mostly obedient to societal demands because, on a pragmatic level, it provides better living conditions to do so.

    Life without these agreements is far too chaotic. Humans need stability and security for growth.
    People will always prefer to live under the foot of a stationary bandit than be left worrying about the whims of roving bandits.
    Go to sleep, iguana.


    _________________________________
    INTP. Type 1>6>5. sx/sp.
    Live and let live will just amount to might makes right

  9. #189
    `~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    9,849

    Default

    Inequality is not the same thing as injustice.

    Oranges are not apples, five is not four, etc., but there is nothing inherently unjust about their differences, i.e. their being inherently "unequal".

    Freedom seeks to abolish injustice, *not* inequality.

    It is okay that some people are smarter, taller, prettier, or wealthier than others, however it is *not* okay to force a pretty girl to don ugly clothes and make-up just so the "uglier" girls will feel better about themselves, nope..that would be grossly unjust!!
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

    "A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

    "That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

    Veritatem dies aperit

    Ride si sapis

    Intelligentle sparkles

  10. #190

    Default

    ^
    Big ups to CC. Equality is about a fair playing field, not about everyone winning.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

    Johari
    /Nohari

Similar Threads

  1. [Fe] How can I use Fe instead of Fi?
    By Myths Of Zephyr in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 64
    Last Post: 11-04-2016, 12:18 AM
  2. esfp/isfp: se versus fi; who is leading the race?
    By wolfy in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-17-2015, 06:22 PM
  3. [Fi] Fe in an Fi household (Welp.)
    By Ling in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-25-2012, 07:59 PM
  4. What's the difference between hurt Fe and hurt Fi?
    By Thalassa in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 07-25-2010, 01:32 AM
  5. [NF] Living Fe from an Fi perspective
    By sculpting in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-09-2009, 07:43 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO