User Tag List

First 8161718192028 Last

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
    $349,000 and above pay the highest percentage of taxes, so I would say that is where the line is drawn.
    Okay, so if I make $348,999 dollars a year, I am *not* rich, cool, that makes *perfect* sense.
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by ByMySword View Post
    You won't LET me? Who the hell do you think YOU are? Just try and take it away. See what happens. (hypothetically of course, )

Edit: And it seems to me as if YOU'RE the prince taking MY throne.
    I'm not taking it away in this hypothesis, the government is, and the government should probably succeed in doing so.

And I'm no prince, and want nothing just for myself alone, it is for the whole community..
    I'd like to give you a longer answer, but I have to, like, right now.
    (this was actually written after my response to CC)

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChick View Post
    Please define what level of monetary wealth would constitute someone as that of being certifiably "rich".
    Well, there are number of ways of doing this. Once again, I state that I prefer basing it on a percentage of the community's(using that word in a broad sens) total wealth. To some degree it is arbitrary, as all laws will be.
    But I would like to say that these specifics do not matter. In theory, these rules should apply to everyone, including those who are not "rich".
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    OMNi

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChick View Post
    Okay, so if I make $348,999 dollars a year, I am *not* rich, cool, that makes *perfect* sense.
    Technically you could make $348,999.99 and be "not rich".

I was only providing one way to look at it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    OMNi: Wisdom at the cost of Sanity.

Screw this line of work that involves long hours and aggravation. When Magic Poriferan's revolution happens, I'm taking a job as a toolbooth operator.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    According to the United Nations
    [off-topic]

Ah. Thanks Whatever. So relative poverty levels are a "measure of inequity." --Relavent in higher income countries (according to the U.N.).

But absolute poverty levels is still a "measure of hardship." Which is relevant in lower income countries (according to the U.N.).

Having been used to the concept of "hardship" poverty, I found the concept of "inequity" poverty rather jarring.

Playing devil's advocate here:
    What if inequety is the price we pay to reduce overall hardship?

[/off-topic]

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    OMNi

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    Playing devil's advocate here:
    What if inequety is the price we pay to reduce overall hardship?
    That is reality. Prosperity comes at the price of some equality and equality comes at the price of some prosperity. One has to remember that the degree of equality determines who gets to enjoy the prosperity. A country can be very prosperous but if it is the top who get to enjoy most of that prosperity, as it usually is, then equality suffers, and ultimately so will prosperity since the bottom will lose motivation to work. Hence why a middle class is essential to the economic welfare of a society. Hardship is a necessity, but the degree of hardship is always what is in question. Western European countries generally have far less "hardship" than the US does, but it comes at the sacrifice of some of their prosperity.

MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Mankind strives for freedom, justice(which is defined as a system of rights via merrit), and equality.
    The fact is, these three things compete with each other. They can not be completely assumed by a society at the same time.
    So yes, to some extent it is the choice of the people to focus on one of these three factors at the cost of the other two.

What strikes me as odd is how obsessed people are with freedom.
    Freedom isn't even an end, it's just a means. I don't know why people treat it like such and end-all, be-all state.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    OMNi

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Mankind strives for freedom, justice(which is defined as a system of rights via merrit), and equality.
    The fact is, these three things compete with each other. They can not be completely assumed by a society at the same time.
    So yes, to some extent it is the choice of the people to focus on one of these three factors at the cost of the other two.

What strikes me as odd is how obsessed people are with freedom.
    Freedom isn't even an end, it's just a means. I don't know why people treat it like such and end-all, be-all state.
    Because human beings like illusions. They like to imagine that concepts like "equality", "freedom", and "justice" are objective and exist outside of human conception. Ultimately all three of those revolve around power. As I said in another thread...

Freedom is the power to act, speak, or think in the way in which we want. Freedom is nothing but power, and power is the illusion. Can you control whether this country goes to war or not? Can you control whether we fall into a depression or not? Can you control the crime in your community? Can you control the choices the members in your family make? Can you control what your family, school, peers, and community teach you and ultimately enforce in your values and morals? You can't control any of those things. All you can control is what you do. You can work, or not work. You can spend the money you earn, or not spend it. You can vote or not vote. You can try to enforce rules in your household or not to enforce them. But even those powers are limited to a certain set of circumstances. The power to decide when you work can be taken away, the power to vote can be taken away, and so forth. Why do we place so much value in those powers? Because humans like the illusion of control.
    Humans value power because it is part of our biology. It is programmed in our genes that if we can obtain control of others, then we increase our chances of reproducing. Whether that power is obtained through "freedom" or "equality" is simply an illusion perpetrated by our values. Ultimately, our agenda, whether we are concious of it or not, is to survive and reproduce and power is a tool we seek to meet those goals.

ByMySword

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    I'm not taking it away in this hypothesis, the government is, and the government should probably succeed in doing so.
    Ok, ok. Looks like we'll have to agree to disagree, as it always is with such arguments. I don't think its right of the government to take anyone's inheritance, since its money and not power. And don't you dare say that "MONEY IS POWER", because I'll just snap.

Yes, money is power, as a rule, but there is always an exception to the rule. There is always gonna be the crusader that you can't buy off, so you'll have to end up whackin' him or some shit. The point is not the money. The point is should the government be allowed to take something. Its like you walking into my room and looking at my guns, thinking "he has enough", and taking several. I should decide what's enough. Its my life and its my money. The government already taxes the shit out us already. They need to rethink what they're spending it on, socially, IMO.

Its the equivalent of being a bully and taking a kid's milk money. The government is the bureacracy that has a monopoly on violence, so it can do so. But that doesn't make it right. And it doesn't matter that the bully is giving it to someone else that doesn't have lunch money. That is irrelevant. The other kid still doesn't have milk money. Sure, he'll go home and his mom will give him more, but that milk money that his parents worked for so that he could eat that day was given to someone else without thought. The reason for which is irrelevant.

And I'm no prince, and want nothing just for myself alone, it is for the whole community..
    I'd like to give you a longer answer, but I have to, like, right now.
    (this was actually written after my response to CC)
    Hey. There can't be good princes?

I never said that I wouldn't help those less fortunate than me. If I had the means, I probably would. But that is my choice. Charity is just that.........charity. I shouldn't be forced to do it.

Hey I just came up with another example: Its like forcing me to give blood.

Yes, I have more, but its mine. Plus, needles bother me.

And what did you have to do?

Drain the main vein?

MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

I accidentally left out the word "go".
    I had to go out to catch my last shot at a decent meal for the day.
    Go to sleep, iguana.