User Tag List

First 7151617181927 Last

MBTI
    OMNi

Quote Originally Posted by ByMySword View Post
    "Well, the corporate entities via the government fucked me over again. Oh fiddlesticks."
    Correction
    Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    OMNi: Wisdom at the cost of Sanity.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

*briefly ponders removing the head or destroying the brain of this thread*

Has it ever occurred to you that if everyone had at least a decent standard of living the problems that affect all of us would be somewhat aleviated? An unfortunate number of problems in our country and in the world in general can be linked back to poverty (poverty relative to one's surroundings) including most human right's abuses, the rise to power of most dictators, crime, disease and overpopulation. One would think that those with the means to do something about this would do so.

Clean water, for instance, could save a lot of lives and it isn't that expensive

(note: I actually do tend to donate money to a charity that helps out poor people in a less developed country, so the argument stated above doesn't have much power on me)
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    Poverty is relative
    I am little confused by this. I know economists and political scientists measure poverty in relative terms, but why is this so?

How many people are starving to death because they are below the poverty line in a country like the U.S.?

What exactly are we measuring when we measure poverty?

[/derail]

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

According to the United Nations

--Relative poverty lines: These have dominated developed country literature where many studies have used a poverty line which is set at, for example, 50% of the national mean income. When the poverty line is fixed as a proportion of the national mean, if all incomes increase by the same proportion, there would be no change in relative inequalities and the poverty line would simply increase by the same proportion; that is, the poverty measure will not change. This can make such poverty lines deceptive for some purposes, such as assessing whether poor people are better or worse off.

A cross‑country comparison of 36 countries, both developed and developing, revealed that real poverty lines will tend to increase with economic growth, but they will do so slowly for the poorest countries. Therefore, the concept of absolute poverty appears to be more relevant to low income countries, while relative poverty is of more relevance to high-income countries.
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by ByMySword View Post
    All right. Then give your inheritance to the poor. Let me keep mine.
    That quip doesn't actually have much substance.
    For my understanding of bettering society, I will not let you keep your inheritance(let's just say you're rich) as I would not let a prince take the throne.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

ByMySword

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    For my understanding of bettering society, I will not let you keep your inheritance(let's just say you're rich) as I would not let a prince take the throne.
    You won't LET me? Who the hell do you think YOU are? Just try and take it away. See what happens. (hypothetically of course, )

Edit: And it seems to me as if YOU'RE the prince taking MY throne.

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Please define what level of monetary wealth would constitute someone as that of being certifiably "rich".
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    I don't mean this as a diss at all, I just see this IRL too and I don't quite get it. These people/groups/lobbies, are not your allies nor do they have your best interests or really any interest in mind.

Some of the most conservative liberal hating staunchly Republican party supporting people come from backgrounds that make me go And again, I'm not saying that you're Republican or conservative, but your comments about pro-big business/pro wealth remind me of this.
    I've heard this argument before and it always drives me crazy. It comes from a mindset that assumes everyone votes based on selfish personal interest. "I don't have any money, so I should vote for the people who will take away rich people's money and give it to me". You're calling people chumps for voting according to what they think is in the best general interest instead of their own personal interest. If they don't have personal wealth and are still conservative, I call that being a person of conviction, not being a chump.

Would you have the same reaction to a rich person that voted liberal? No, you would say that they can see beyond themselves to the greater good. What's the difference?
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    OMNi

$349,000 and above pay the highest percentage of taxes, so I would say that is where the line is drawn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    OMNi: Wisdom at the cost of Sanity.

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

What's wrong with there existing a hierarchical difference in wealth amongst a population???

I can give two shits that Person A can afford to drive fancy cars and fly Leer jets, and drink the poshest of posh wines. That doesn't in anyway affect my own levels of personal success and happiness.

Also, whenever I chat it up with homeless people, or people who were at once homeless, to be honest, it doesn't seem like they've got it, or had it that bad either. (in a "the government has fucked me over" sense)

To each his own, ho hum.
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles