• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Interests and Conversations

Sunny Ghost

Do you guys discuss MBTI, enneagram, etc with your friends, people you meet, spouses? How open are they generally to discussing these topics?

I bring it up quite often. And honestly, a lot of the times I feel as though most people don't care enough, or only care enough to read a single description of their type and move on, or find it useless. A lot of the times, I wish I had more interests I were obsessed with outside of personality theory.

Silveresque

I know what you mean. It's really frustrating that I think about it so much but I can't really talk about it with people because they don't seem to care. I wish I could talk to people about typology but they would probably think I'm weird for being so obsessed with it.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Do you guys discuss MBTI, enneagram, etc with your friends, people you meet, spouses? How open are they generally to discussing these topics?

I bring it up quite often. And honestly, a lot of the times I feel as though most people don't care enough, or only care enough to read a single description of their type and move on, or find it useless. A lot of the times, I wish I had more interests I were obsessed with outside of personality theory.

I rarely do. I mean, if you already know most people don't care about some obscure letters, then why bother trying? The only person I ever met irl who showed an interest in this topic always fakes an interest in any discussion he has with others. That's based on his own admission, although he didn't put it that way of course.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Rarely. There are a couple of friends that I have that like the Gaelan's Temperaments. I've brought the topic up with them, they aren't so keen on it, though.

wolfy

awsm
I don't talk about it much at all. Now and again I'll talk about some aspect of it with my wife from time to time but that is about all. Lately, other than when I am here it never really crosses my mind. It would be nice to have people around you that knew about it, if only for what feedback you could get.

gromit

likes this
I've known a couple people in real life who've heard of it, and it's fun to compare letters and stuff. I have one friend who lives far away who is pretty into it and uses it as a tool sometimes, but I don't get to see or talk to her that much.

Usually I talk to real world people about other topics though.

Sunny Ghost

I know what you mean. It's really frustrating that I think about it so much but I can't really talk about it with people because they don't seem to care. I wish I could talk to people about typology but they would probably think I'm weird for being so obsessed with it.

I've known a couple people in real life who've heard of it, and it's fun to compare letters and stuff. I have one friend who lives far away who is pretty into it and uses it as a tool sometimes, but I don't get to see or talk to her that much.

Usually I talk to real world people about other topics though.

Likewise... however, sometimes I wish I could talk about it more, since I seem to think about it a lot. But then I think people will think I'm weird if I do. I'm constantly trying to understand people as well as myself, which is one of the reasons why I'm so interested and drawn to it. And it's cool to me at least, gaining this new perspective based upon temperament, dominant functions, etc, of how people interact and see the world. So I'm always looking through those lenses. But rarely voice it.

I actually do know a decent amount of people that are familiar with MBTI, due to the fact that I live in a fairly liberal arts college town. But they certainly don't seem to think about it as much as I do. It's more like this cool thing they got to learn about in class, and might know their own type, but don't delve further than that.

My INTJ roommate, however, does find it somewhat interesting. He usually allows me to bring up different topics or thoughts on mbti. But he's in general pretty quiet, and I tend to just talk at him a lot... so maybe he isn't as interested as I think.... :thinking:

Silveresque

Likewise... however, sometimes I wish I could talk about it more, since I seem to think about it a lot. But then I think people will think I'm weird if I do. I'm constantly trying to understand people as well as myself, which is one of the reasons why I'm so interested and drawn to it. And it's cool to me at least, gaining this new perspective based upon temperament, dominant functions, etc, of how people interact and see the world. So I'm always looking through those lenses. But rarely voice it.

Exactly. :yes:

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

Ditto.

Silveresque

Just curious: how much do you guys think about it?

Depends. I usually do think about it quite a bit everyday, especially if I'm doubting my type or have been spending a lot of time on TC. But if I have other things going on in my life at the time, I'm less likely to think about it.

copperfish17

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I used to bring it up with my INTJ best friend fairly often. We liked typing people around us for fun - friends, professors, etc. There was one time I brought the subject up with a group of friends, and we had a relatively good time talking about it.

I don't talk about it at all nowadays, though. I regard MBTI as a rough reference to understanding people, and nothing more. I think the more you get to know someone, the less significant their type becomes. People of all types share a good deal in common. The differences that come with type, so to say, aren't really that significant IME. I feel that MBTI type causes people to make assumptions about others more often than not. Well, I know this for sure - I want people to try to understand me as an individual. The people who know me beyond the implications of my MBTI type are the people who really matter.

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm pretty obsessed, and i'm an E so i want to talk about it all the time. It bothers me that i can't talk about it to anyone except for my isfj friend who really understands it with me. I don't go 2 hours without thinking about MBTI lol...I'm constantly typing people because i want to know how they work and then therefore i know how to work with or around them. It helps especially at work. Once i discovered that everyone has a dominant, auxilary, etc function I enjoy watching other people's dominant functions in action. I still try not to bring it up because i know most people think i'm "putting people in boxes" but i am so into it that the sentence doesnt make sense to me...it's hard to explain to them that everyone has 4 letters then also everyone has 8 functions its just how well we use them naturally and conciously. It frustrates me! ranting sorry

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
No. Most people I come across don't seem too interested in discussing it, and in the event they do show some signs of not being completely bored it's usually just so they can eventually segue into a discussion about astrology, which in turn makes me want to gouge my eyes out. I just feel as if there's just too much to explain related to MBTI to waste your time with someone who only appears lukewarm about it.

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It IS too much time...i don't mind astrology though, sorry to say. I think it's because i haven't gotten that much into it to find all the things that are wrong with it. What i've been looking at though is whether or not there's a link between MBTI and astrology. It's only through observation, but i've noticed my isfj friends that are virgo's are all alike, almost exactly . Then i have one random isfj scorpio and I could barely tell he was an isfj. I could be way off though.

Octarine

The Eighth Colour
MBTI Type
Aeon
Enneagram
10w
Instinctual Variant
so
How open are they generally to discussing these topics?

It depends on their type. :alttongue:

Seriously though, I try not to discuss MBTI, but I was indoctrinated early, so for those family and friends that are familiar with it, then it kind of slips out.

mmhmm

meinmeinmein!
i don't really discuss it in depth often. i'll mostly have
questions for clarification or better understanding.

but i do ask people i know to take the quizzes and tests all the time.

Andy

Supreme High Commander
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
I almost never speak of it. I've only ever met one person in the real world who talked about it. Actually, that suits me fine. It saves me the bother of having to explain my thought.

G

Glycerine

Most people, no. I find it embarrassing to be so into it and I don't want people to have weird misconceptions about me just because of type.