• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Real Life Type Identification

lokospa

Hello,

I am new to this forum. I have read about MBTI for a while, but now I'm getting more and more confused by the blurred lines between types, especially in practical application.

Can you refer me to any books/resources that can give a good theoretical basis. And some guidelines how to use it in practice.

My main goal is to identify types of people in everyday life and be able to use that information to better understand their motives and improve communication.

So what are the main identificators? What clues should I look for, what questions should I ask?

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I have no clue. I think MBTI is stupid and sloppy. I think there are better ways to understand yourself and others by focusing on behaviors themselves instead of the categories they fit into and trying to come up with averages. As soon as you generalize, you lose information. No good.

In other news, welcome to the forum, stranger! Where's your avatar?

lokospa

You maybe right, but without generalization and certain framework you're losing a lot of information as well, because human mind can better concentrate with certain framework in place, so it understands what deserves attention.

So any other suggestions?

ps. I have not yet chosen my avatar, so it is coming soon.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The original: Psychological Types - Carl Jung
Similar to Jung, but in simpler language with more behavioral patterns detailed: Conscious Orientation - JH Van der Hoop
Newer theory: Personality Type: An Owner's Manual - Lenore Thompson

My "guidelines" are to focus on how a person's thinking manifests, not to get too caught up in behavioral patterns (which can amount to stereotyping when taken too far). Behaviors listed in descriptions are often meant to be illustrative, not prescriptive.
People can say, do, believe, etc, the same thing & be entirely different types; and conversely, individuals of the same type can have massive differences in taste, behaviors, beliefs, etc. Type is the thought process that got them there, though, and this process often manifests within the visible but intangible "personality". Obviously, there are similarities between individuals of the same types, as similar thinking can result in similar demeanors, and so you have a "personality type" emerging.

Next, keep in mind that personality is complex and not solely determined by cognitive preferences. There are cultural factors, emotional motivations, childhood environment, etc, that all influence the development of personality.

While considering cognitive processes can help, remember that types are a sum of the parts, a whole, so compare the whole individual to the whole type, don't let details cloud your view.

Oh yeah, and don't alter your view of a type by an individual you've decided is that type. If you typed that person wrong, it will distort your understanding of the type. If that type is a best fit for them, but they display some traits not associated with the type or not even discussed in type profiles, then consider it an individual quirk (which everyone will have). Don't try and force fit the type to the person either, just consider which profile naturally describes them the best. If they type doesn't fit, because they are more of an exception than the rule, then consider that maybe you've typed them wrong.

Lotr246

The best book out there I found was Lenore Thompson's book. Exceptional descriptions of the types and cognitive functions in both theory and practice.