First 123 Last

MBTI
    HUMR
    Enneagram
    6 sx
    Socionics
    iNfp Ni

Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    I think ExxPs are the most likely to make definitive-sounding statements which they then completely contradict by their behaviour or comments later. .

Totally agree. I do this ALL the time. It is indeed an extroverted (combined with Perceiving?) trait. I am a walking contradiction and it drives those close IJ's to me bat shit crazy. I can't help it! As soon as that thought is thought, it is out my mouth. As soon as different information is taken in, stance changes.
    Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun - Watts

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Huxley3112 View Post

Totally agree. I do this ALL the time. It is indeed an extroverted (combined with Perceiving?) trait. I am a walking contradiction and it drives those close IJ's to me bat shit crazy. I can't help it! As soon as that thought is thought, it is out my mouth. As soon as different information is taken in, stance changes.
    I have to be honest, I find people who do this a lot hard to trust...or at least I stop taking them seriously. I find myself thinking things like "oh well, the last several conclusive statements they made turned out to be total rubbish, I guess we'll just see what happens."

Although, I have felt this way more so if the person has kind of been using me as a sounding board and just bouncing stuff off me with no regard for the effect it might have on me... That's more a case of being a user, rather than type-related, I think (any type can be a user...). But if the user happens to be ExxP, wow. The overall effect can be colossally frustrating.

Is there a way around this? Should I be looking at things differently, or should the ExxP modify their behaviour a bit?
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sp
    Socionics
    ILE

Of great relevance http://www.livescience.com/15655-ext...y-surveys.html

Extroverts' penchant for hyperbole might be getting in the way of scientists' efforts to paint an objective view of the world.
    The findings could also have implications for consumer surveys. For example, a beverage company might be able to make their new soda look good by recruiting extroverts to rate the product and introverts to rate their rival's soda

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Lily flower View Post
    I am wondering if this is an extrovert/introvert issue, or something else?

I have a close friend who will make statements like, "I never want to eat this kind of cheese again." I will try to remember never to serve them that cheese. Then later that same person will buy that kind of cheese and when I ask them, they say, "Well I just wasn't in the mood for it the day I said that."

I don't understand this. If I make a statement about something like that, it is a permanant statement. Otherwise I would say something like, "I'm not in the mood for this cheese today."

So do extroverts make statements that can change later, and introverts don't as much, or is this just maybe specific to this person?
    People like that drive me nuts. I like people to say what they mean and respond in a more predictable way.

It's probably more of a J/P thing than an E/I thing.

This thread is making me question my type again.

Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    I have to be honest, I find people who do this a lot hard to trust...or at least I stop taking them seriously. I find myself thinking things like "oh well, the last several conclusive statements they made turned out to be total rubbish, I guess we'll just see what happens."
    Yeah, I feel the same way. I need more predictibility as to how others are likely to respond. I wouldn't feel comfortable with a person that was too much this way. I would feel unsure of where I stood with this person. I would also feel like the other person was letting me down or being dishonest with me even if it wasn't intentional. (example: I thought you really liked going to that restaurant- what happened??!!)

To be fair though, when it comes to it, I'm not totally consistent myself. My personal tastes do change with time. When conversing with others though, I rarely make absolute statements like the OP's example because I am well aware that my opinion could change later after gathering more info.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INTp

I make it a policy to take all words said by anyone with a grain of salt. It's worked out surprisingly well. For example, "I will definitely do this." means roughly "I will exert some sort of effort to make this happen, unless I forget."

Reading that back sounds really cynical. In all seriousness though, it's worked out wonderfully. I'm often pleasantly surprised and almost never negatively surprised. Puts a smile on my face.
    MBTI: INTP (PNIT if you wanna put it in order of strength.)
    Socionics: INTp
    Enneagram: 5w4
    Alignment: Neutral Good
    Political Stance: (usually) Very Liberal
    Religious Stance: (roughly) Secular Humanist
    Class: Wizard
    Stereotype: Geek/Hippie

Also, credit for my new avatar goes to this person. I found it on the google.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by LunaLuminosity View Post
    If it is an E/I difference, it is probably closer to that extraverts overexaggerate things more, in order to get a stronger response from the other person.
    could be...we can be dramatic like that haha
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Huxley3112 View Post

That's probably the EP-like thing that irritates/bewilders me the most, other than saying you'll do something and not doing it, regardless of how many people that fucks over. I guess they're kinda the same thing actually.

I definitely see the extroverted connection - they seem to just say things without thinking, the more dramatic the better. Truth optional.
    -end of thread-

As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    That's probably the EP-like thing that irritates/bewilders me the most, other than saying you'll do something and not doing it, regardless of how many people that fucks over. I guess they're kinda the same thing actually.

I definitely see the extroverted connection - they seem to just say things without thinking, the more dramatic the better. Truth optional.
    Have to agree with the EP thing. My sister will say that she's never going to do such and such and this is the last time she's going to do _____________________. A few days later, "oh well, I just decided to go ahead and do it." It's kinda shocking to witness when it's something really serious or important but I've learned to just wait and see what she does versus what she says. It cuts down on disappointment and shock.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Hmmm you all may be onto something with the EP claim. I don't often make judgements exactly like this out loud. But, I find myself saying things that don't actually reflect my minset or thought. Yeah, this doesn't sound like it makes sense, but for me it's like trying a thought or opinion out to see if I like it or not. It puts me in a mindset to evaluate it, and of course it all sounds flaky as hell.

MBTI
    HUMR
    Enneagram
    6 sx
    Socionics
    iNfp Ni

It's just the very nature of EP. There is nothing to change or do about it, accept understand and be tolerant, as we should with any function we don't use or understand. The very nature of E puts it into the external. The very nature of P takes in new info constantly.

I'm feel like something else should really be brought up here. The trust aspect. Just because EP's do this, does not make them "untrustworthy". It might make them zaney, unpredictable, contradictory, but many EP's have extremely well developed morals and thought systems. Infact, dare I say that when a P finally DOES take a strong stance on something I really listen up. This is because the P is infact looking deeply for the truth. They are constantly comparing it with new info, they examine every angle, they challenge it constantly. They don't just hold to something for the sake of closure. And in this respect, I trust P's quite a bit or atleast understand the value it took to get to there conclusion. .

Yet another reason that I trust P's.. they seem to handle being wrong better. Where as J's are more consistent, and they plan and strategize alot to NOT be wrong, but holy shit! When they are.. it's like EVERYTHING goes to hell. The sky falls on their face. It's scares me honestly, especially in close relations. I want to show them how to "just shift perspectives' but they cant! Or atleast its really difficult.

I thing that in some respects, E's can be more trustworthy as well. Simply because it's out there. You not only know where you stand with them as a whole, but from minute to minute if you want. There is not usually some crazy hidden agenda, or an inability to communicate a thought or feeling.

Anyhow, this isn't to say that EP's can't be highly fursterating, I'm sure we are. But consider all the other functions and behaviors that might appear very frusterating to us or anyone else. Tolerance and understanding is always the key. Should people have to alter their behavior? Not on a "right - wrong" spectrum. More so on a "What works and what doesn't" spectrum.
    Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun - Watts