User Tag List

View Poll Results: What's your perspective?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Option 1

4 22.22%
  • Option 2

13 72.22%
  • Both (please explain)

1 5.56%
12 Last

Default What's your perspective?

Are you 1) the way you are because of your personality type, or are you 2) your personality type because of the way you are?

Maybe you're thinking both. But if you are, then let me ask you this: which came first, the type or the behavior? If both options are true, then you have a circle. But where did the circle begin? And if you must explain where the circle began, then that essentially forces you to choose either option 1 or option 2.

Enneagram
    5w4

The chicken or the egg? Nature vs nurture? I'm not sure which direction the intention of your question is leaning towards, but here's my attempt to explain my point of view.

If you're talking about typology itself, the MBTI is just a theory catering to the desire to identify and categorize personalities (Point out the obvious, Vizzy). MBTI is not a proven fact, but I am. I myself see Myers-Briggs as something similar to a game to which I'm playing by the rules, which includes learning about the cognitive functions and 16 types. It's fun and fascinating for what it is.
    Here's a question: would I have a personality type if I was the only person on earth?
    5w4
    Reserved RCUEI

ReflecTcelfeR

Quote Originally Posted by RevlisZero View Post
    Are you 1) the way you are because of your personality type, or are you 2) your personality type because of the way you are?

Maybe you're thinking both. But if you are, then let me ask you this: which came first, the type or the behavior? If both options are true, then you have a circle. But where did the circle begin? And if you must explain where the circle began, then that essentially forces you to choose either option 1 or option 2.
    So... You're trying to judge how much socialization has on the overall personality? Because if you're one then you're saying that personality type is biological in nature and ultimately unchangeable and if it is malleable then the fluctuation in personality was already possible just unknown.

If it's the second you're saying that you can be taught personality. While you can learn social mores and such is that by definition apart of your personality, or is it an addendum. I would think it's the first because if it is the second then the overall nature of the political structure, or whatever may run the country is what you'd be trained to be. Or it would at least be prone to that situation in order to keep order.

I would say because there is an injection of chaos to that order every now and again that some are drawn towards different aspects of life and since we reject those they are outside of our control (besides surgery). If they are out of our control it is mainly biological.

Thus, with this logic, I suppose my perspective is number 1.

I imagine my avatar saying this... Cool, huh?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INTp

MBTI isn't a concrete fact, like Vizzy said. It's just a system of labels for things that all ready occur. This question has an objective correct answer. It is option 2.
    MBTI: INTP (PNIT if you wanna put it in order of strength.)
    Socionics: INTp
    Enneagram: 5w4
    Alignment: Neutral Good
    Political Stance: (usually) Very Liberal
    Religious Stance: (roughly) Secular Humanist
    Class: Wizard
    Stereotype: Geek/Hippie

Also, credit for my new avatar goes to this person. I found it on the google.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INFj

Ugh, my God, guys, it's not meant to be taken that seriously. It's just assuming if MBTI were true.
    MBTI: INFP
    Enneagram: 6w7, phobic
    Tritype: 6-9-2
    Instinctual Variant: Sx/Sp
    Temperament: Pure Supine
    D&D Alignment: Neutral Good
    Political Stance: Solid Liberal
    Religious Views: Atheist

Fi > Ne > Ti > Fe > Se > Si > Te > Ni

"Forgiveness means letting go of the past." ~ Gerald Jampolsky
    "I am justice!" ~ Light Yagami, Death Note
    "The choices people make tell you a lot about a person, but the reasons [...] tell you even more." ~ Albus Dumbledore (paraphrased)

Tatiana ♥

Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Hazashin View Post
    Ugh, my God, guys, it's not meant to be taken that seriously. It's just assuming if MBTI were true.
    I don't know whether RevlisZero wanted us to take this seriously or not, but even if he/she didn't, I can't force myself to pretend that MBTI was true. Secondly, my argument would be destroyed.
    5w4
    Reserved RCUEI

Quote Originally Posted by Vizzy View Post
    I don't know whether RevlisZero wanted us to take this seriously or not, but even if he/she didn't, I can't force myself to pretend that MBTI was true. Secondly, my argument would be destroyed.
    I intended it as sort of a philosophical "how do you see it" kind of question, where there's not really a right or wrong answer. I hadn't really expected these kinds of interpretations, but I guess any interpretation is welcome.

...And I'm a girl, by the way. :P

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INFj

That's interesting to know.

I was not thinking that at all (no offense).
    MBTI: INFP
    Enneagram: 6w7, phobic
    Tritype: 6-9-2
    Instinctual Variant: Sx/Sp
    Temperament: Pure Supine
    D&D Alignment: Neutral Good
    Political Stance: Solid Liberal
    Religious Views: Atheist

Fi > Ne > Ti > Fe > Se > Si > Te > Ni

"Forgiveness means letting go of the past." ~ Gerald Jampolsky
    "I am justice!" ~ Light Yagami, Death Note
    "The choices people make tell you a lot about a person, but the reasons [...] tell you even more." ~ Albus Dumbledore (paraphrased)

Tatiana ♥

Enneagram
    5w4

I intended it as sort of a philosophical "how do you see it" kind of question, where there's not really a right or wrong answer. I hadn't really expected these kinds of interpretations, but I guess any interpretation is welcome.

Yeah, I wrote "she" initially but then realised I wasn't sure...and your profile didn't help.

What's your perspective, by the way?
    5w4
    Reserved RCUEI

Quote Originally Posted by Vizzy View Post
    Yeah, I wrote "she" initially but then realised I wasn't sure...and your profile didn't help.

What's your perspective, by the way?
    Well, I often catch myself assuming option 1, like when my mom asks why I'm hug-o-phobic and I say, "Apparently it's an INTP thing". I wouldn't have said that if some part of didn't believe that I am the way I am because of my type. I'll admit, option 1 was my default perspective before I thought of it in a new way. But now that new way, option 2, sounds pretty logical to me, since personality types were created to classify patterns of behavior. So basically, my default is option 1, but if I Ti it, I would probably decide on option 2. Now the question is, do I vote based on how I am naturally inclined to perceive it, or how I would choose to perceive it only after a great deal of thought? That's sort of why I haven't voted.