• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What's your perspective?

What's your perspective?

• Option 1

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Option 2

Votes: 11 68.8%
  • Both (please explain)

Votes: 1 6.3%

• Total voters

Silveresque

Are you 1) the way you are because of your personality type, or are you 2) your personality type because of the way you are?

Maybe you're thinking both. But if you are, then let me ask you this: which came first, the type or the behavior? If both options are true, then you have a circle. But where did the circle begin? And if you must explain where the circle began, then that essentially forces you to choose either option 1 or option 2.

Vizzy

Enneagram
5w4
The chicken or the egg? Nature vs nurture? I'm not sure which direction the intention of your question is leaning towards, but here's my attempt to explain my point of view.

If you're talking about typology itself, the MBTI is just a theory catering to the desire to identify and categorize personalities (Point out the obvious, Vizzy). MBTI is not a proven fact, but I am. I myself see Myers-Briggs as something similar to a game to which I'm playing by the rules, which includes learning about the cognitive functions and 16 types. It's fun and fascinating for what it is.
Here's a question: would I have a personality type if I was the only person on earth?

R

ReflecTcelfeR

Are you 1) the way you are because of your personality type, or are you 2) your personality type because of the way you are?

Maybe you're thinking both. But if you are, then let me ask you this: which came first, the type or the behavior? If both options are true, then you have a circle. But where did the circle begin? And if you must explain where the circle began, then that essentially forces you to choose either option 1 or option 2.

So... You're trying to judge how much socialization has on the overall personality? Because if you're one then you're saying that personality type is biological in nature and ultimately unchangeable and if it is malleable then the fluctuation in personality was already possible just unknown.

If it's the second you're saying that you can be taught personality. While you can learn social mores and such is that by definition apart of your personality, or is it an addendum. I would think it's the first because if it is the second then the overall nature of the political structure, or whatever may run the country is what you'd be trained to be. Or it would at least be prone to that situation in order to keep order.

I would say because there is an injection of chaos to that order every now and again that some are drawn towards different aspects of life and since we reject those they are outside of our control (besides surgery). If they are out of our control it is mainly biological.

Thus, with this logic, I suppose my perspective is number 1.

I imagine my avatar saying this... Cool, huh?

Xyk

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
MBTI isn't a concrete fact, like Vizzy said. It's just a system of labels for things that all ready occur. This question has an objective correct answer. It is option 2.

Hazashin

Secret Sex Freak
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ugh, my God, guys, it's not meant to be taken that seriously. It's just assuming if MBTI were true.

Vizzy

Enneagram
5w4
Ugh, my God, guys, it's not meant to be taken that seriously. It's just assuming if MBTI were true.
I don't know whether RevlisZero wanted us to take this seriously or not, but even if he/she didn't, I can't force myself to pretend that MBTI was true. Secondly, my argument would be destroyed. :(

Silveresque

I don't know whether RevlisZero wanted us to take this seriously or not, but even if he/she didn't, I can't force myself to pretend that MBTI was true. Secondly, my argument would be destroyed. :(

I intended it as sort of a philosophical "how do you see it" kind of question, where there's not really a right or wrong answer. I hadn't really expected these kinds of interpretations, but I guess any interpretation is welcome.

...And I'm a girl, by the way. :p

Vizzy

Enneagram
5w4
I intended it as sort of a philosophical "how do you see it" kind of question, where there's not really a right or wrong answer. I hadn't really expected these kinds of interpretations, but I guess any interpretation is welcome.

...And I'm a girl, by the way. :p
Yeah, I wrote "she" initially but then realised I wasn't sure...and your profile didn't help. ;)

What's your perspective, by the way?

Silveresque

Yeah, I wrote "she" initially but then realised I wasn't sure...and your profile didn't help. ;)

What's your perspective, by the way?

Well, I often catch myself assuming option 1, like when my mom asks why I'm hug-o-phobic and I say, "Apparently it's an INTP thing". I wouldn't have said that if some part of didn't believe that I am the way I am because of my type. I'll admit, option 1 was my default perspective before I thought of it in a new way. But now that new way, option 2, sounds pretty logical to me, since personality types were created to classify patterns of behavior. So basically, my default is option 1, but if I Ti it, I would probably decide on option 2. Now the question is, do I vote based on how I am naturally inclined to perceive it, or how I would choose to perceive it only after a great deal of thought? That's sort of why I haven't voted.

Vizzy

Enneagram
5w4
Well, I often catch myself assuming option 1, like when my mom asks why I'm hug-o-phobic and I say, "Apparently it's an INTP thing". I wouldn't have said that if some part of didn't believe that I am the way I am because of my type. I'll admit, option 1 was my default perspective before I thought of it in a new way. But now that new way, option 2, sounds pretty logical to me, since personality types were created to classify patterns of behavior. So basically, my default is option 1, but if I Ti it, I would probably decide on option 2. Now the question is, do I vote based on how I am naturally inclined to perceive it, or how I would choose to perceive it only after a great deal of thought? That's sort of why I haven't voted.
Your vote shall confirm your type. Which is it? *drumroll*
Just kidding. ;) To be honest, I have a hard time grasping or even considering Option A at all. I'm less likely to say "Because it's an INTP thing" and much more likely to say "I'm an INTP because I don't like to hug".

Silveresque

Your vote shall confirm your type. Which is it? *drumroll*
Just kidding. ;) To be honest, I have a hard time grasping or even considering Option A at all. I'm less likely to say "Because it's an INTP thing" and much more likely to say "I'm an INTP because I don't like to hug".

Interesting. Maybe I'll go with option 1 then, just because it seems to be my natural inclination.

Hazashin

Secret Sex Freak
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Interesting. Maybe I'll go with option 1 then, just because it seems to be my natural inclination.

Before I was introduced to MBTI, I would've said option 2 (if it had said personality type instead of explicitly saying 'MBTI'), but now my natural inclination is also option 1. :yes:

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The preferences come first, then we come to personality typing to get a name for them.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

I voted for #2. I see personality type as a model to explain our behaviors and natural tendencies. Start with the person and use one of the 16 types that best fits it.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't know, this doesn't have to refer to MBTI type, it can refer to people's nature in general. I'm inclined to think that you are born a certain way, and that if large families happen to socialize a certain type of person/ people, it's because they are genetically inclined that way as a group. Seems like you could learn some outward behaviors from the group/ parents if they are very set in one certain way and you practice it from babyhood. I'm also not sure about how environment at a developing age affects people/ seems like it may cause some variations of their original nature. My own thought.

uncommonentity

I could sit around and blame my enviroment for my introversion but no matter where I am deep down i'm the same person and look at everything the same so I went with #1

Little_Sticks

if 1 is true and 2 is false: type is a philosophy
if 1 is false and 2 is true: type is religiously believed to be innate because just thinking this is true doesn't prove it is.
if 1 is false and 2 is false: ?
if 1 is true and 2 is true: Godel's Incompleteness theorem?

Can I go with the question mark for my perspective? Why did you leave that one out? Now I feel lied too... :wizfreak::wizfreak::wizfreak:
STOP CHEATING ME

Santosha

MBTI Type
HUMR
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
Option 2. Also nature over nurture.