• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Pictorial Guide to the Se/Si Distinction

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Some of you here like to communicate via the indirect method of images, so here is my pictorial guide to the Se/Si distinction.

Se
images

Si
Nascar.png

Se
things-to-do.jpg

Si
0022190fd3300a888c0426.jpg

Se
mt1165223607.gif

Si
148851_174340299246825_100000125691481_666932_7055096_n.jpg

Hazashin

Secret Sex Freak
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Some of you here like to communicate via the indirect method of images, so here is my pictorial guide to the Se/Si distinction

What makes the Si pictures related to Si?

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What makes the Si pictures related to Si?

Intensity of experience. Depth. The Se type prefers great variety, and the experiences are of a more shallow nature. The Si draws the experience inward, intensifying the relationship between subject and object.

Hazashin

Secret Sex Freak
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Intensity of experience. Depth. The Se type prefers great variety, and the experiences are of a more shallow nature. The Si draws the experience inward, intensifying the relationship between subject and object.

Then that's definitely me. :laugh:

nanook

a scream in a vortex
i can see the pattern you are referring to, but the whole point of introverted perception is, that you take objects for something, that is not in them, but only in your view of it, so finding Si images should be difficult, because, except for artwork, there is no Si in any image, but any image (including your Se images) could speak to a particular individual's subject /Si.

the way i see it, your patterns are not in the image (and i don't think you intended them to be, but i just wanted to differenciate), but in what they depict (the activity).

it's different. when a rollercoster is giving you a ride, you are definitely opening your self up to Se. when you are running a car race, it's Se on the outside, but you are risking your live and so it becomes subjective (even to Se users, or any type)

here is my(!) Ni perspective on the images themselves: as an image (evoking subjective themes of myself) the rollercoaster and the circus (don't know the english word) are working for me. the rollercoaster symbolizes the spiritual movement of ascending and descending, its a typical dream image, happening right after or before dreamless deep sleep. the circus is a symbol for the wheel of samsara. to me, both are symbols of having things done to you, passively, as in 'not interaction' (not extroversion), symbols of being powerless (ego-less). now that's an introverted (subjective) way, of taking objects for something, that they are not (objectively). to the contrary: an image (!) of bungee jumping does not talk to my (!) Ni. it talks to my Se and only scares me. also the car race scares me more than the rollercoaster or circus. and for me Se is all about fear (Se is the shadow of Ni). i can't tell how exactly Si does it's subjective moves differently than Ni.

Hazashin

Secret Sex Freak
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The INFP has the Si function as tertiary. If your Ne is weak, then the Si will take over as auxiliary.

Yep. :yes:

Sometimes I wish I could use my Ne with ease.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i can see the pattern you are referring to, but the whole point of introverted perception is, that you take objects for something, that is not in them, but only in your view of it, so finding Si images should be difficult, because, except for artwork, there is no Si in any image, but any image (including your Se images) could speak to a particular individual's subject /Si.

the way i seed it, your patterns are not in the image (and i don't think you intended them to be, but i just wanted to differenciate), but in what they depict.

it's different. when a rollercoster is giving you a ride, you are definitely opening your self up to Se. when you are running a car race, it's Se on the outside, but you are risking your live and so it becomes subjective (even to Se users, or any type)

here is my(!) Ni perspective on the images themselves: as an image (evoking subjective themes of myself) the rollercoaster and the circus (don't know the english word) are working for me. the rollercoaster symbolizes the spirituel movement of ascending and descending, its a typical dream image, happening right after or before dreamless deep sleep. the circus is a symbol for the wheel of samsara. to me, both are symbols of having things done to you, passively, as in 'not interaction' (not extroversion), symbols of being powerless (ego-less). now that's an introverted (subjective) way, of taking objects for something, that they are not (objectively). to the contrary: an image (!) of bungee jumping does not talk to my (!) Ni. it talks to my Se and only scares me. also the car race scares me more than the rollercoaster or circus. and for me Se is all about fear (Se is the shadow of Ni). i can't tell how exactly Si does it's subjective moves differently than Ni.

One obvious pattern to the pictures is the social differences of the two distinctions. The race car driver rides alone, although you can go along for the ride on a practice lap if you want. The bungee jumper is actually not bungee jumping. That is Jeb Corliss and he is base jumping, which is free-falling with a parachute. Either way, they are solo activities.

Of course, someone will say that a rollercoaster ride is or can be a solo activity. But really, why kill it through over-analysis? The pictures suffice.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
"and for me Se is all about fear (Se is the shadow of Ni). i can't tell how exactly Si does it's subjective moves differently than Ni." Perhaps that's how it is for you. However, I always hold out the hope of relating everything to a common reason, a sensus communis:

"..we must [here] take sensus communis to mean the idea of a sense shared [by us all], i.e., a power to judge that in reflecting takes account (a priori), in our thought, of everyone else's way of presenting [something], in order as it were to compare our own judgement with human reason in general... Now we do this as follows: we compare our judgement not so much with the actual as rather with the merely possible judgements of others, and [thus] put ourselves in the position of everyone else..." (Immanuel Kant, quoted on Wikipedia)

So while it is natural to take your analysis to the personal level, it is also possible to see these things from the broad or most general perspective. It's not as if there isn't a common humanity just below the surface of all these superficial personalities and cognitive styles which are nothing more than individual biases.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Why do you think Se needs to be a social activity? As a Se user that seems strange to me. (so does the "wide variety of shallow experiences", for that matter)

How about some reasoning to support your opinions instead of just stating "this is how it is"?

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
That is the Phantom's Revenge at Kennywood, in case you guys cared.

That is all.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Why do you think Se needs to be a social activity? As a Se user that seems strange to me. (so does the "wide variety of shallow experiences", for that matter)

How about some reasoning to support your opinions instead of just stating "this is how it is"?

I don't know how strong your Se auxiliary is. At any rate, I'm using the dominant features of type here. So often everybody here tries to relate things to a personal level and lose track of the sensus communis behind it all.

My definitions are more important than any pictorial representations. The Se pictures represent a wide variety of shallow experiences. The Si pictures represent the intensity of singular experiences. An experience is bound to be a feeling, such as excitement or fear. A carnival presents a wide variety of experiences; the base jumper experience is more intense, more personal, and he often pursues the same experience over and over again. For the mountain climber (not pictured) it is himself versus the mountain. It is a singular intense experience represented by the Si function. It doesn't matter if the mountain climber is going it alone or with a group.

As for the idea of Se not necessarily being social, imagine going to a carnival that is completely empty. I surmise (although this is not really the topic) that the presence of a large number of people experiencing the same things adds to the Se excitement, and indeed the social aspect is part of the Se attraction. Being in the audience at a circus is an Se experience, being the lion-tamer in the circus ring is an Si experience. Don't over-analyze or personalize, they're just pictures.

Hazashin

Secret Sex Freak
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The Si pictures represent the intensity of singular experiences. An experience is bound to be a feeling, such as excitement or fear. A carnival presents a wide variety of experiences; the base jumper experience is more intense, more personal, and he often pursues the same experience over and over again. For the mountain climber (not pictured) it is himself versus the mountain. It is a singular intense experience represented by the Si function. It doesn't matter if the mountain climber is going it alone or with a group.

So something like listening to song for the nostalgic purpose of remembering the intensity of the memory you relate it to be an example of an Si experience? And also smelling a particular smell that you haven't smelled in a long time and having nostalgic memories of when you last smelled it? I know that sounds weird, but those are two things that I do.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So something like listening to song for the nostalgic purpose of remembering the intensity of the memory you relate it to be an example of an Si experience? And also smelling a particular smell that you haven't smelled in a long time and having nostalgic memories of when you last smelled it? I know that sounds weird, but those are two things that I do.

That depends on what the memories are all about. Perhaps an INFP such as yourself reminisces about family or childhood friends.

Hazashin

Secret Sex Freak
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That depends on what the memories are all about. Perhaps an INFP such as yourself reminisces about family or childhood friends.

Childhood friends, yeah. But I would say most of the memories are experiences that have special value to me.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Childhood friends, yeah. But I would say most of the memories are experiences that have special value to me.

You mentioned intensity. If I were to go against the Jungian and Keirseyan interpretations on introversion and extraversion, I would have to say that intensity and extensity are more defining than their definitions. So when you speak of intensity in yourself, that is just an introverted value in general. It's just a matter of deciding what an intense Fi or Ti experience looks like, or feels like.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
OMG I love this thread! Thanks for making it, [MENTION=13589]mal12345[/MENTION]

So many questions about Si Vs Se....

I, too, have read somewhere that the difference between the introverted and extroverted functions within one dichotomy is that the introverted functions are more intense, and the extroverted ones are more varied, yet when it comes describing Si, all anyone I've asked ever says about it is that it has to do with remembering details especially of past events. As if Si is the only function responsible for detailed memory and that's all it has to do with, and more importantly that Si basically LIVES in the past. I'm unclear on this because it made me think Si was just a giant recorder of everything and nothing else. What are your thoughts on that, mal?

And the pictures were great! :) That helped.
What is this though?
Si
148851_174340299246825_100000125691481_666932_7055096_n.jpg