User Tag List

First 34567 Last

Results 41 to 50 of 127

  1. #41
    No moss growing on me Giggly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so
    Posts
    9,666

    Default

    Can we get more pics of Si in here? Se is fairly clear to me. I think mal is correct when he says that Si is concerned with the focused intensity of a sensory experience and Se has to do with variety of sensory experiences. This is what I read about it as well. Si does not only have to do with order and detail, but it can easily entail that. Se does not only have to do with pushing the limits, but it can easily entail that. Given that, some of mal's Si pics are accurate. I think Se or Si both can be explored alone or with others which makes it hard to identify which is being used.

    Quote Originally Posted by mal12345 View Post
    It's because of all the function talk that goes on around here, that has more to do with thinking methods than behaviors or personalities. It is raised to such a level of abstractedness as to lose all touch with reality.
    Yes it is very abstract.

    Jung doesn't talk about the Si living in accordance with the past. So I take it some other theorist along the way decided that was the case.
    I wonder who and what it's about because that thought is something I always see associated with Si.




    A witch silhouette.....But I'm curious to know, from your ISFJ perspective, what do you think is going on in that picture?
    My first thought was that it was a witch who was frolicking around by herself. I didn't take it much further than that before reading what you had to say about it.

  2. #42
    Senior Member Mal12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    13,989

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chana View Post
    i'd associate both of those with se, they're people connecting with the environment through thrill-seeking activities.
    Do you think the Si type connects only with the insides of their own skulls? It's what they do with the information that matters. The information (such as the sensation of skydiving) is internalized and intensified. The experience is also very personal. Someone mentioned life versus death. To bring one's consciousness closer to the brink is the goal here. In this way, the Si may be said, in Jung's own terms, to confront the archaic imagery. A witch hanging from a flying broomstick with one hand 100 feet up while grabbing for one's hat with the other is definitely representative of such an experience.

    Psychologically, it's now just a matter of identifying the "archaic imagery." Jung states that the object of the Si consciousness is downgraded in favor of the representative image. While the Si type appears to be pursuing real-world values and goals, the real goal is internal, personal and intensely subjective.

    Someone might whine that a skydiver or base-jumper might be Se, and so might be doing it for Se reasons. Of course. And a Ti scientist I know flew in a glider 100,000 feet in the sky. He said he learned a lot about aerodynamics and gravity from the experience. That, however, is not the goal of the Se, or the Si. The Se is interested solely in the pure experience itself. The Si is interested in, perhaps, conquering an internal demon such as fear of heights. The Si might be interested in confronting the issue of life and death head on. The Si wants to make fear a reality, and then make it his personal bitch.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

  3. #43
    a scream in a vortex nanook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,361

    Default

    i roughly agree with all you say there.

    i'd wish you would notice, how i was contributing to the thread, by instructing the reader about how there are different ways of looking at the image, and what way leads to the pattern you have in mind (looking at what is IN the image), and what way leads to a different result (symbolism). verry helpfull for intuitives, who by default look at the image as such, as a symbol or a piece of communication between photographer and object or any number of other crazy things, instead of jumping into the frame and having the experience, which is depicted in the image.

    not whining, not killing you thread, not over analysing, my dear, just helping out

    love your topic, you know? its allmost hard to come around interesting threads about typology, these days.

    wildly appreaciate your effort with the pics in the first posting

  4. #44
    a scream in a vortex nanook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,361

    Default

    i have been asked in a reputation about what Pi means.
    Pi means both Ni and Si = P is for perception
    Ji is for introverted judgement (T or F)
    Je ... extroverded judgement

  5. #45
    libtard SJW chickpea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Posts
    4,958

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mal12345 View Post
    Do you think the Si type connects only with the insides of their own skulls? It's what they do with the information that matters. The information (such as the sensation of skydiving) is internalized and intensified. The experience is also very personal. Someone mentioned life versus death. To bring one's consciousness closer to the brink is the goal here. In this way, the Si may be said, in Jung's own terms, to confront the archaic imagery. A witch hanging from a flying broomstick with one hand 100 feet up while grabbing for one's hat with the other is definitely representative of such an experience.

    Psychologically, it's now just a matter of identifying the "archaic imagery." Jung states that the object of the Si consciousness is downgraded in favor of the representative image. While the Si type appears to be pursuing real-world values and goals, the real goal is internal, personal and intensely subjective.

    Someone might whine that a skydiver or base-jumper might be Se, and so might be doing it for Se reasons. Of course. And a Ti scientist I know flew in a glider 100,000 feet in the sky. He said he learned a lot about aerodynamics and gravity from the experience. That, however, is not the goal of the Se, or the Si. The Se is interested solely in the pure experience itself. The Si is interested in, perhaps, conquering an internal demon such as fear of heights. The Si might be interested in confronting the issue of life and death head on. The Si wants to make fear a reality, and then make it his personal bitch.
    okay, sure, but the se pictures you posted aren't any different other than the fact that other people are in the photo. you can be confronting your personal fears while on a roller coaster sitting next to someone just as much as you could when you're alone. sorry, i just don't think they're the best pictures to help anyone understand the functions because they're misleading. it's not social/individual, it's external/internal.

  6. #46
    No moss growing on me Giggly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so
    Posts
    9,666

    Default

    Those who think ALL of those pics are Se, I'd like to see which kind of pics you would post for Si?

  7. #47
    Senior Member Mal12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    13,989

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nanook View Post
    i roughly agree with all you say there.

    i'd wish you would notice, how i was contributing to the thread, by instructing the reader about how there are different ways of looking at the image, and what way leads to the pattern you have in mind (looking at what is IN the image), and what way leads to a different result (symbolism). verry helpfull for intuitives, who by default look at the image as such, as a symbol or a piece of communication between photographer and object or any number of other crazy things, instead of jumping into the frame and having the experience, which is depicted in the image.

    not whining, not killing you thread, not over analysing, my dear, just helping out

    love your topic, you know? its allmost hard to come around interesting threads about typology, these days.

    wildly appreaciate your effort with the pics in the first posting
    There is something strangely PersN about your post about Pi and Pe. I haven't had a chance to read everything here because of daddy things I have to take care of at home.

    I'm sure there are different ways of looking at images. That's why I asked Giggly to give me her impression of the witch. But for the most part I am directing the manner of viewing the images. The images are not the goal and neither are the subjective impressions. Images are for instructing on the two principles I'm presenting.

    For example, let's say I am teaching a physics class on constant functions. I show a video demonstrating their real purpose by showing how the raindrops hitting the windshield of a car appear to increase in frequency when the car speeds up, and then appear to slow down when the car comes to a stop.

    However, my physics students only want to figure out what kind of car it is, and to reminisce about similar cars they've seen in the past. They want to joke about how the driver might get pulled over for driving so fast in the video, or criticize his driving skills, or gossip about how some other student's mom got pulled over the other day for exactly the same thing. And then the class becomes all about their impressions from the video, and they learn nothing about constants from the demonstration.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

  8. #48
    Senior Member Mal12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    13,989

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chana View Post
    okay, sure, but the se pictures you posted aren't any different other than the fact that other people are in the photo. you can be confronting your personal fears while on a roller coaster sitting next to someone just as much as you could when you're alone. sorry, i just don't think they're the best pictures to help anyone understand the functions because they're misleading. it's not social/individual, it's external/internal.
    It's not primarily about the pictures, it's primarily about using them to represent my definitions of Si and Se.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

  9. #49
    a scream in a vortex nanook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,361

    Default

    what i love about the car race, form an Pi perspective is that all the racing cars are such individualists by desing. a unit arriving at intensity by means of posture, figure, intrinsic character.

    i could picture myself as a child, getting my hands on a sticker from one of those cars, puting it on my bike, imagining that my bike is a car, imagining that i am a grown up, and that i am a particular race driver, someone who's personality talks to me, the knight rider or what ever.

    i would love one or two cars, that have something in common, which has meaning to me, and mostly ignore the rest ...
    data about the most powerfull engine would bore me to death.

    in contrast the roller coaster is empty ... of posture.

  10. #50
    Senior Member Mal12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    13,989

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    Those who think ALL of those pics are Se, I'd like to see which kind of pics you would post for Si?
    Based on something someone was saying here yesterday:
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

Similar Threads

  1. Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
    By htb in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 03-05-2017, 06:23 PM
  2. Pictorial Guide to the Ne/Ni Distinction (the pics in no particular order this time)
    By Mal12345 in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 08-26-2011, 05:02 PM
  3. The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy
    By Mr. Sherlock Holmes in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-30-2010, 10:03 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO