User Tag List

First 12345 Last

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by mal12345 View Post
    I don't know how strong your Se auxiliary is. At any rate, I'm using the dominant features of type here. So often everybody here tries to relate things to a personal level and lose track of the sensus communis behind it all.

My definitions are more important than any pictorial representations. The Se pictures represent a wide variety of shallow experiences. The Si pictures represent the intensity of singular experiences. An experience is bound to be a feeling, such as excitement or fear. A carnival presents a wide variety of experiences; the base jumper experience is more intense, more personal, and he often pursues the same experience over and over again. For the mountain climber (not pictured) it is himself versus the mountain. It is a singular intense experience represented by the Si function. It doesn't matter if the mountain climber is going it alone or with a group.

As for the idea of Se not necessarily being social, imagine going to a carnival that is completely empty. I surmise (although this is not really the topic) that the presence of a large number of people experiencing the same things adds to the Se excitement, and indeed the social aspect is part of the Se attraction. Being in the audience at a circus is an Se experience, being the lion-tamer in the circus ring is an Si experience. Don't over-analyze or personalize, they're just pictures.
    I understand what you're saying. What I was asking for is why. i.e., what is your rationale?
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    OMG I love this thread! Thanks for making it, @mal1234

So many questions about Si Vs Se....

I, too, have read somewhere that the difference between the introverted and extroverted functions within one dichotomy is that the introverted functions are more intense, and the extroverted ones are more varied, yet when it comes describing Si, all anyone on this forum ever says about it is that it has to do with remembering details especially of past events. As if Si is the only function responsible for detailed memory, and more importantly that Si basically LIVES in the past. I'm unclear on this. What are your thoughts on that, mal?
    It's because of all the function talk that goes on around here, that has more to do with thinking methods than behaviors or personalities. It is raised to such a level of abstractedness as to lose all touch with reality. But it still can't compete with Jung's, whose description of the introverted (or subjective) sensing type is completely obscure.

The decisive thing is not the reality of the object, but the reality of the subjective factor, i.e. the primordial images, which in their totality represent a psychic mirror-world. It is a mirror, however, with the peculiar capacity of representing
    the present contents of consciousness not in their known and customary form but in a certain sense sub specie
    aeternitatis, somewhat as a million-year old consciousness might see them.
    A million-year old consciousness?

There is a little personality description in Jung's portrait of the introverted sensor:
    "He may actually stand out by the very calmness and passivity of his demeanour, or by his rational self-control. This
    peculiarity, which often leads the superficial judgment astray, is really due to his unrelatedness to objects."

And -
    "the individual readily becomes a victim to the aggressiveness and ambitions of others. Such men allow themselves to be abused, for which they usually take vengeance at the most unsuitable occasions with redoubled stubbornness and resistance."

Jung doesn't talk about the Si living in accordance with the past. So I take it some other theorist along the way decided that was the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    And the pictures were great! That helped.
    What is this though?
    Si
    A witch silhouette. Are you asking why a witch silhouette? It goes along with the Se image just above that of two people shouting at each other. I try to put a single individual in the introverted pictures, even if some introverts themselves may have strong social needs. (Each race car driver is on his own.) The images are archetypal and not literal. But I'm curious to know, from your ISFJ perspective, what do you think is going on in that picture?
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Well I do love the swings at the fair and arguing people, and am bored to death by Nascar....lol.

I get the Nascar thing even though surely many Si users don't like Nascar...it's the idea of watching a steady race around and around a track...that's why it bores me silly...

The only sport I like is baseball. But my ISTJ said Nascar isn't a sport, anyway.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

This actually reminds me also of the conversation I had with the ISTJ about Si vs. Se sports:

Si - golf, tennis, ballet

Se - Xtreme sports, skate boarding, football

Si sports require exquisite precision and patience was the rationale.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

i feel like you don't really understand the difference between introverted vs extroverted functions, it doesnt really have anything to do with being alone or in a group.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Hazashin View Post
    So something like listening to song for the nostalgic purpose of remembering the intensity of the memory you relate it to be an example of an Si experience? And also smelling a particular smell that you haven't smelled in a long time and having nostalgic memories of when you last smelled it? I know that sounds weird, but those are two things that I do.
    Arrgh I got this confused for a long time myself...apparently this is connected to Fi...Si isn't just memory or nostalgia, that's too simplified because you can have a great memory and not be an Si type.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by chana View Post
    i feel like you don't really understand the difference between introverted vs extroverted functions, it doesnt really have anything to do with being alone or in a group.
    You don't understand the difference between literal and archetypal. You smoking too much dope lately.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by mal12345 View Post
    You don't understand the difference between literal and archetypal. You smoking too much dope lately.
    nah, maybe if i was i'd understand how si = silhouette of a witch. but i don't think there are enough drugs in the world.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

nah, maybe if i was i'd understand how si = silhouette of a witch. but i don't think there are enough drugs in the world.
    Then you like the other Si pics?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I don't understand the witch, either.

Is it focusing intention?