Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Default Personality traits that correlate with independence

what personality traits do you think correlate with independence? they can be MBTI types, cognitive processes, enneagram types, instinctual subtypes, or just personality traits that aren't related to a typology structure
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

I think it depends on what you mean by independence. I can see how judging types could be considered independent because they generally seem more confident as opposed to the more self-doubting perceiving types. But I can also see how perceiving types could be considered independent because they are generally more open-minded. I can definitely see Fi and Ti being independent because their judgements come from within rather than relying on the external. But I would assume that Te and Fe are also capable of being independent in a different way, maybe in the same way that judging types show confidence, but I don't use either particularly well, so I can't really say. And for the enneagram, I would think that it has more to do with the levels of development than with the actual type, e.g. someone at a healthier level is generally more confident and independent. My overall theory would be that independence has more to do with the individual than the type.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

I am very independent. I have associated it wish instinctual variants sx/sp- and being a 4. (
    Being individualistic can lead to independence.) I can't see ENFP's necessarily having too much to do with it- seems like some could get really tied up with people and other people's opinions if not careful. (When typing myself ESFP, I thought the same thing.)
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEI

I feel like I'm fairly independent... because 1. I'm an introvert and not as reliant on having others around. 2. I'm a SP variant and do things for myself to make sure I'm secure. 3. I'm single and currently not looking for romance. 4. I'm grown! 5. I think for myself. 6. I'm an American and live in a very individualized culture.
    "I don't know a perfect person.
    I only know flawed people who are still worth loving."
    -John Green

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

I think istp is correlated with independence. I think the istp is a nice blend with 6 because it keeps the "sheep" phobic tendencies in check.... I can be very opinionated and outspoken, not much going with the flow, unless I choose to consciously, which I do sometimes. Sometimes it's just not worth the fight. It is difficult to find the perfect balance - not too phobic and not too counterphobic. I don't like to be either, because it seems that neither is the real me.
    6w5's can be loners (as I am, mostly), as well, but 6 seems to contain the contradiction of needing support while maintaining independence. For me, this means having an S.O. who supports me as I work to start my own business, where I can run it my way and make my own decisions. I don't think I could do it without the support of my S.O., or it would be much more difficult.
    I consider myself mostly independent, and I seem to be far more independent than a lot of types, and a lot of people in general. It's noticeable. I don't consider myself completely independent, like an 8 (in the way of not relying on others for aid or support).

I think I am using these definitions for independence:

"not influenced or controlled by others in matters of opinion, conduct, etc.; thinking or acting for oneself: an independent thinker.
    not influenced by the thought or action of others: independent research.
    not dependent; not depending or contingent upon something else for existence, operation, etc.
    not relying on another or others for aid or support."
    ISTP 6w5 sx/sp
    6-8-4/6-9-4 Tritype

Whisky Old & Women Young Speed Gavroche's Avatar
    MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp

I think everyone can be considered as independant if he can escape FISC or IRS, and not be hampered by rules and reglementations. That represent maybe 5 % of the western world population, and that has nothing to do with typology.
    EsTP 6w7 Sx/Sp

Chaotic Neutral

E=60% S=55% T=70% P=80%

"I don't believe in guilt, I only believe in living on impulses"

"Stereotypes about personality and gender turn out to be fairly accurate: ... On the binary Myers-Briggs measure, the thinking-feeling breakdown is about 30/70 for women versus 60/40 for men." ~ Bryan Caplan

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

I think any type can be independent, for any number of reasons. The environment they were raised in plays a part, no doubt. I don't think being a people-person makes someone dependent either. Some people have also independence forced on them, and it's not really a positive thing.

As far as these go:
    cognitive processes - Ji & Pi, which is why any type can be independent
    enneagram types - 4,5,8, sometimes 9, 3, & 6
    instinctual subtypes - sp/sx; some sx/sps who seek intense experience more than intense relationships or who have a heavy sp influence; so/sps who define themselves as "outside" the group

Generally, I've seen IxxP types as the most independent in most classic sense; the loner who does their own thing & does not seek to lead nor be led. In some ways I don't see this as a strength so much as a protective shell or pre-rejection anticipating rejection (and yes, I include Ti-dom there, as they are described as guarded & defensive also).

I associate my own independence (good & bad....being a loner has many downsides) with being an introvert, a Fi type (very "individual" focused), the exploratory & fickle nature of Ne (which makes me venture out on my own when no one else is willing to go along), and being enneagram 4w5 sp/sx. My childhood also taught me some independence; my sister was 5 years older & not around to play when I was little (she was in school), my parents divorced when I was very young & I resisted dependence on people after that, I was shy as a kid & had a hard time making good friends, etc.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Gavroche View Post
    I think everyone can be considered as independant if he can escape FISC or IRS, and not be hampered by rules and reglementations. That represent maybe 5 % of the western world population, and that has nothing to do with typology.
    LOL
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Chibi Seme
    Sunburst!
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

Whisky Old & Women Young Speed Gavroche's Avatar
    MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    LOL
    Libertarian too?

I din't think introversion is correlated with independance. Introvert often think they are more independant than extrovert because the have less need of the external world. 5s, w5s and schisoids as a general rule typycally fall in that trap: the less they have need of the external world and the more they are self-sufficient the more they think they are independant. But they don't live life to the fullest at all, and are actually dependant of their fear to be dependant if they let their need for the external world express.

Social, in enneagram, is not correlated with dependance either. The social instinct is an instinctive need to expend the self toward a larger sphere, but actually you can lead it, or create it. While So-last have Sp and Sx at first and second, and can be dependant of their mate or of a job wich assure their safety and that they are afraid to loose.
    EsTP 6w7 Sx/Sp

Chaotic Neutral

E=60% S=55% T=70% P=80%

"I don't believe in guilt, I only believe in living on impulses"

"Stereotypes about personality and gender turn out to be fairly accurate: ... On the binary Myers-Briggs measure, the thinking-feeling breakdown is about 30/70 for women versus 60/40 for men." ~ Bryan Caplan

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Gavroche View Post
    Libertarian too?

I din't think introversion is correlated with independance. Introvert often think they are more independant than extrovert because the have less need of the external world. 5s, w5s and schisoids as a general rule typycally fall in that trap: the less they have need of the external world and the more they are self-sufficient the more they think they are independant. But they don't live life to the fullest at all, and are actually dependant of their fear to be dependant if they let their need for the external world express.

Social, in enneagram, is not correlated with dependance either. The social instinct is an instinctive need to expend the self toward a larger sphere, but actually you can lead it, or create it. While So-last have Sp and Sx at first and second, and can be dependant of their mate or of a job wich assure their safety and that they are afraid to loose.
    til the day I die
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Chibi Seme
    Sunburst!