• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Personality traits that correlate with independence

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
what personality traits do you think correlate with independence? they can be MBTI types, cognitive processes, enneagram types, instinctual subtypes, or just personality traits that aren't related to a typology structure

Silveresque

I think it depends on what you mean by independence. I can see how judging types could be considered independent because they generally seem more confident as opposed to the more self-doubting perceiving types. But I can also see how perceiving types could be considered independent because they are generally more open-minded. I can definitely see Fi and Ti being independent because their judgements come from within rather than relying on the external. But I would assume that Te and Fe are also capable of being independent in a different way, maybe in the same way that judging types show confidence, but I don't use either particularly well, so I can't really say. And for the enneagram, I would think that it has more to do with the levels of development than with the actual type, e.g. someone at a healthier level is generally more confident and independent. My overall theory would be that independence has more to do with the individual than the type.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I am very independent. I have associated it wish instinctual variants sx/sp- and being a 4. (
Being individualistic can lead to independence.) I can't see ENFP's necessarily having too much to do with it- seems like some could get really tied up with people and other people's opinions if not careful. (When typing myself ESFP, I thought the same thing.)

Sunny Ghost

I feel like I'm fairly independent... because 1. I'm an introvert and not as reliant on having others around. 2. I'm a SP variant and do things for myself to make sure I'm secure. 3. I'm single and currently not looking for romance. 4. I'm grown! 5. I think for myself. 6. I'm an American and live in a very individualized culture.

ICUP

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think istp is correlated with independence. I think the istp is a nice blend with 6 because it keeps the "sheep" phobic tendencies in check.... I can be very opinionated and outspoken, not much going with the flow, unless I choose to consciously, which I do sometimes. Sometimes it's just not worth the fight. It is difficult to find the perfect balance - not too phobic and not too counterphobic. I don't like to be either, because it seems that neither is the real me.
6w5's can be loners (as I am, mostly), as well, but 6 seems to contain the contradiction of needing support while maintaining independence. For me, this means having an S.O. who supports me as I work to start my own business, where I can run it my way and make my own decisions. I don't think I could do it without the support of my S.O., or it would be much more difficult.
I consider myself mostly independent, and I seem to be far more independent than a lot of types, and a lot of people in general. It's noticeable. I don't consider myself completely independent, like an 8 (in the way of not relying on others for aid or support).

I think I am using these definitions for independence:

"not influenced or controlled by others in matters of opinion, conduct, etc.; thinking or acting for oneself: an independent thinker.
not influenced by the thought or action of others: independent research.
not dependent; not depending or contingent upon something else for existence, operation, etc.
not relying on another or others for aid or support."

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think everyone can be considered as independant if he can escape FISC or IRS, and not be hampered by rules and reglementations. That represent maybe 5 % of the western world population, and that has nothing to do with typology.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think any type can be independent, for any number of reasons. The environment they were raised in plays a part, no doubt. I don't think being a people-person makes someone dependent either. Some people have also independence forced on them, and it's not really a positive thing.

As far as these go:
cognitive processes - Ji & Pi, which is why any type can be independent
enneagram types - 4,5,8, sometimes 9, 3, & 6
instinctual subtypes - sp/sx; some sx/sps who seek intense experience more than intense relationships or who have a heavy sp influence; so/sps who define themselves as "outside" the group

Generally, I've seen IxxP types as the most independent in most classic sense; the loner who does their own thing & does not seek to lead nor be led. In some ways I don't see this as a strength so much as a protective shell or pre-rejection anticipating rejection (and yes, I include Ti-dom there, as they are described as guarded & defensive also).

I associate my own independence (good & bad....being a loner has many downsides) with being an introvert, a Fi type (very "individual" focused), the exploratory & fickle nature of Ne (which makes me venture out on my own when no one else is willing to go along), and being enneagram 4w5 sp/sx. My childhood also taught me some independence; my sister was 5 years older & not around to play when I was little (she was in school), my parents divorced when I was very young & I resisted dependence on people after that, I was shy as a kid & had a hard time making good friends, etc.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think everyone can be considered as independant if he can escape FISC or IRS, and not be hampered by rules and reglementations. That represent maybe 5 % of the western world population, and that has nothing to do with typology.

LOL :hifive:

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Libertarian too? :biggrin:

I din't think introversion is correlated with independance. Introvert often think they are more independant than extrovert because the have less need of the external world. 5s, w5s and schisoids as a general rule typycally fall in that trap: the less they have need of the external world and the more they are self-sufficient the more they think they are independant. But they don't live life to the fullest at all, and are actually dependant of their fear to be dependant if they let their need for the external world express.

Social, in enneagram, is not correlated with dependance either. The social instinct is an instinctive need to expend the self toward a larger sphere, but actually you can lead it, or create it. While So-last have Sp and Sx at first and second, and can be dependant of their mate or of a job wich assure their safety and that they are afraid to loose.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Libertarian too? :biggrin:

I din't think introversion is correlated with independance. Introvert often think they are more independant than extrovert because the have less need of the external world. 5s, w5s and schisoids as a general rule typycally fall in that trap: the less they have need of the external world and the more they are self-sufficient the more they think they are independant. But they don't live life to the fullest at all, and are actually dependant of their fear to be dependant if they let their need for the external world express.

Social, in enneagram, is not correlated with dependance either. The social instinct is an instinctive need to expend the self toward a larger sphere, but actually you can lead it, or create it. While So-last have Sp and Sx at first and second, and can be dependant of their mate or of a job wich assure their safety and that they are afraid to loose.

til the day I die :solidarity:

G

Ginkgo

Please define independence.

If independence is the state in which one finds sustenance without others, I'm tempted to say introverts are going to find the highest positive correlation.

However, it's important to consider than extraversion doesn't necessarily entail that one operates in a world of people, but rather in a world of objects. That said, I think it's safe to say that if one immerses themselves in a world of objects, alone, on a desert island, with a preference for rearranging their environment to suit their needs, then they might have a greater chance at survival than an introvert who doesn't prefer interacting with their environment. Too many variables to be conclusive on that.

What it really boils down to is one's will to be independent.

ICUP

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Generally, I've seen IxxP types as the most independent in most classic sense; the loner who does their own thing & does not seek to lead nor be led. In some ways I don't see this as a strength so much as a protective shell or pre-rejection anticipating rejection (and yes, I include Ti-dom there, as they are described as guarded & defensive also).

It can be..... but I've tested it. I simply don't want or need people in my life to a certain degree. I think it has more to do with my focus, and what I prefer to do with my time and energy, as opposed to believing if I try, I will be rejected. I've been mostly accepted in social groups in high school and whatnot, but I really wasn't interested in pursuing the activities associated. It's more of a chore than fun to me. I could see me being a part of, say, a motorcycle gang or some activity I enjoy that brings people together. Not necessarily a social group just for the sake of it..... bores me, and I don't agree with anything about it unless it is a specialized group.

I don't really pursue relationships unless I find something incredibly interesting about a person, and I need or want that relationship for some reason. And then, I will, and I won't consider rejection. If that relationship is important to me, I will generally pursue it determinedly.... I think that's about being sx dom. Otherwise, I would consider myself "not really there" for most people, enough to consider them a friend. I have too many other priorities to gather up a whole bunch of friends to be committed to. I don't allow a lot of people in my life, partly for the reason that I just don't have the time for them. That will come later.....

I think the "pre-rejection anticipating rejection" thing you describe is a protective shell, but I do think it's used as a method in my case, at this point. If I want to, I can overlook it and go for what I want, in other words. :) I think trying to change it, which I have tested, led me to a place where I realized that it was there for a reason, that I really didn't want what life would offer without it anyway. I think it serves to keep me in this place where I can be productive toward my goals, where I can best serve myself. I think my thoughts continue to direct me toward being a loner, regardless of a protective shield. It's just who I am and what I want, more than it is anything else. In other words, the protective shield is only a small piece of it. Without it, I am still me, and I still have the same desires and drives.

-------------------

As far as introverts being more independent than extroverts, by my definition, that wouldn't necessarily be true. Some introverts are totally influenced by what others think, and are deeply dependent on others for some sort of interaction/support. Some ISFJ's come to mind. I would also consider my estp dad as being independent. He definitely didn't care what anyone else thought.... he marched to the beat of his own drummer. He was also independent in the sense that he didn't need anyone to sustain himself, although I do find that his dependency was mostly on substances and performance. He needed those two things above-all-else. I suppose all-in-all, he was dependent on people to be his "audience". He was a loner in many ways, as in, he didn't share his inner-self with many people at all.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It can be..... but I've tested it. I simply don't want or need people in my life to a certain degree. I think it has more to do with my focus, and what I prefer to do with my time and energy, as opposed to believing if I try, I will be rejected. I've been mostly accepted in social groups in high school and whatnot, but I really wasn't interested in pursuing the activities associated. It's more of a chore than fun to me. I could see me being a part of, say, a motorcycle gang or some activity I enjoy that brings people together. Not necessarily a social group just for the sake of it..... bores me, and I don't agree with anything about it unless it is a specialized group.

I still see this as a form of pre-rejection though - an assumption that others will not want to do what you want to do also. It's a closed attitude towards people, a defensive one which assumes they are opposed to you in some sense. I'm not talking about a fear of literal rejection from them based on your person if you try to befriend them, but a rejection of what you prioritize, which could cause you to compromise if you include them, and you don't want to compromise your preferences.
This is the kind of attitude I've had, and why I realized I have always been a loner by choice, not any kind of outcast.

ICUP

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I still see this as a form of pre-rejection though - an assumption that others will not want to do what you want to do also. It's a closed attitude towards people, a defensive one which assumes they are opposed to you in some sense. I'm not talking about a fear of literal rejection from them based on your person if you try to befriend them, but a rejection of what you prioritize, which could cause you to compromise if you include them, and you don't want to compromise your preferences.
This is the kind of attitude I've had, and why I realized I have always been a loner by choice, not any kind of outcast.

Ok......
That's true in a lot of ways, for me. I really don't want to compromise my preferences. I don't necessarily think people are opposed to me. I just think we don't currently share the same interests. In other words, it's not worth the trouble to find out when there are much easier options. I don't have trouble befriending others these days who don't share my interests to some degree, and have. But I don't prefer to have friends in abundance that I must then be committed to, at this time in my life. ISTP's have the commitment clause to consider, as well :) ISTP's are also known to befriend people who specifically share common interests. It's what they enjoy doing, so I think that's a big influence from my part. It's pretty much a practical, cut-to-the-chase method when I seek out a group that shares my interests already, as opposed to choosing to weed through people and find them, or to influence people. I think it's kindof selfish, actually. I need those specialized interactions, I seek them out, and I ignore other. I see it as more of a preference, and that I am seeking to have my needs fulfilled, than a rejection of others who don't share my interests, at this point in time. I need to act on my purpose, I suppose.

I agree in the fact that when tested, I did also figure out that I was a loner by choice... that I was choosing my ways, and they have never been thrust upon me.

I have found that I tend to "reject" those that I don't consider appropriately serving my life in some way. My "rejections" are thorough. Once I reject, I reject completely. Otherwise, I'm just being flaky and non-committal lol......

What you describe, has happened to me exactly.... but it is tied to my past. I rejected everyone from my past, that I grew up with. It's not because I don't like them, it's that I think we don't have a lot in common, and that they are opposed to me. It doesn't generally happen to me these days, and I attribute it to environment. Where I come from: mostly Christians, mostly people who don't accept my background, mostly close-minded people. Nothing in common. Where I live now: open-minded, accepting and respectful, all religions or none acceptable. I don't feel as if I am in-opposition to anyone here, but that it's a blend. I think it helps to keep the situations in perspective. In other words, I think that now, there are very few people who would actually be opposed to me, whereas from my past, I think most would be, but this has to do more with them being opposed to my beliefs and lifestyle than my interests. If I wanted to and thought it would enrich my life in some way, I would pursue reconnecting, but at this point, it would be more of a job than a fun endeavor in which both people gained. I see no gain for myself, and I am selfish in that way.

It doesn't help that I know all-too-well the people I grew up with and how intolerant they are. I just don't need that in my life, which I think, is the real reason why I am rejecting them. So I do have my reasons..... they just happen to not be legitimate reasons for other types, and I am aware of that.

ICUP

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Post you lousy bastards! POST!

Xyk

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I agree with whoever said IPs. We seem more prone to detachment, which is similar to independence. I think I could probably live as a hermit if I had the gardening ability and money for a property. We're not really dependent on other humans by nature.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
what personality traits do you think correlate with independence? they can be MBTI types, cognitive processes, enneagram types, instinctual subtypes, or just personality traits that aren't related to a typology structure

Detachment.

I > E
N > S
T > F
P > J