Instinctual Variant: Sx/Sp
    Temperament: Pure Supine
    D&D Alignment: Neutral Good
    Political Stance: Solid Liberal
    Religious Views: Atheist

Fi > Ne > Ti > Fe > Se > Si > Te > Ni

"Forgiveness means letting go of the past." ~ Gerald Jampolsky
    "I am justice!" ~ Light Yagami, Death Note
    "The choices people make tell you a lot about a person, but the reasons [...] tell you even more." ~ Albus Dumbledore (paraphrased)

Tatiana ♥

Ginkgo

Please define independence.

If independence is the state in which one finds sustenance without others, I'm tempted to say introverts are going to find the highest positive correlation.

However, it's important to consider than extraversion doesn't necessarily entail that one operates in a world of people, but rather in a world of objects. That said, I think it's safe to say that if one immerses themselves in a world of objects, alone, on a desert island, with a preference for rearranging their environment to suit their needs, then they might have a greater chance at survival than an introvert who doesn't prefer interacting with their environment. Too many variables to be conclusive on that.

What it really boils down to is one's will to be independent.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post

Generally, I've seen IxxP types as the most independent in most classic sense; the loner who does their own thing & does not seek to lead nor be led. In some ways I don't see this as a strength so much as a protective shell or pre-rejection anticipating rejection (and yes, I include Ti-dom there, as they are described as guarded & defensive also).
    It can be..... but I've tested it. I simply don't want or need people in my life to a certain degree. I think it has more to do with my focus, and what I prefer to do with my time and energy, as opposed to believing if I try, I will be rejected. I've been mostly accepted in social groups in high school and whatnot, but I really wasn't interested in pursuing the activities associated. It's more of a chore than fun to me. I could see me being a part of, say, a motorcycle gang or some activity I enjoy that brings people together. Not necessarily a social group just for the sake of it..... bores me, and I don't agree with anything about it unless it is a specialized group.

I don't really pursue relationships unless I find something incredibly interesting about a person, and I need or want that relationship for some reason. And then, I will, and I won't consider rejection. If that relationship is important to me, I will generally pursue it determinedly.... I think that's about being sx dom. Otherwise, I would consider myself "not really there" for most people, enough to consider them a friend. I have too many other priorities to gather up a whole bunch of friends to be committed to. I don't allow a lot of people in my life, partly for the reason that I just don't have the time for them. That will come later.....

I think the "pre-rejection anticipating rejection" thing you describe is a protective shell, but I do think it's used as a method in my case, at this point. If I want to, I can overlook it and go for what I want, in other words. I think trying to change it, which I have tested, led me to a place where I realized that it was there for a reason, that I really didn't want what life would offer without it anyway. I think it serves to keep me in this place where I can be productive toward my goals, where I can best serve myself. I think my thoughts continue to direct me toward being a loner, regardless of a protective shield. It's just who I am and what I want, more than it is anything else. In other words, the protective shield is only a small piece of it. Without it, I am still me, and I still have the same desires and drives.

-------------------

As far as introverts being more independent than extroverts, by my definition, that wouldn't necessarily be true. Some introverts are totally influenced by what others think, and are deeply dependent on others for some sort of interaction/support. Some ISFJ's come to mind. I would also consider my estp dad as being independent. He definitely didn't care what anyone else thought.... he marched to the beat of his own drummer. He was also independent in the sense that he didn't need anyone to sustain himself, although I do find that his dependency was mostly on substances and performance. He needed those two things above-all-else. I suppose all-in-all, he was dependent on people to be his "audience". He was a loner in many ways, as in, he didn't share his inner-self with many people at all.
    ISTP 6w5 sx/sp
    6-8-4/6-9-4 Tritype

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by ICUP View Post
    It can be..... but I've tested it. I simply don't want or need people in my life to a certain degree. I think it has more to do with my focus, and what I prefer to do with my time and energy, as opposed to believing if I try, I will be rejected. I've been mostly accepted in social groups in high school and whatnot, but I really wasn't interested in pursuing the activities associated. It's more of a chore than fun to me. I could see me being a part of, say, a motorcycle gang or some activity I enjoy that brings people together. Not necessarily a social group just for the sake of it..... bores me, and I don't agree with anything about it unless it is a specialized group.
    I still see this as a form of pre-rejection though - an assumption that others will not want to do what you want to do also. It's a closed attitude towards people, a defensive one which assumes they are opposed to you in some sense. I'm not talking about a fear of literal rejection from them based on your person if you try to befriend them, but a rejection of what you prioritize, which could cause you to compromise if you include them, and you don't want to compromise your preferences.
    This is the kind of attitude I've had, and why I realized I have always been a loner by choice, not any kind of outcast.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    I still see this as a form of pre-rejection though - an assumption that others will not want to do what you want to do also. It's a closed attitude towards people, a defensive one which assumes they are opposed to you in some sense. I'm not talking about a fear of literal rejection from them based on your person if you try to befriend them, but a rejection of what you prioritize, which could cause you to compromise if you include them, and you don't want to compromise your preferences.
    This is the kind of attitude I've had, and why I realized I have always been a loner by choice, not any kind of outcast.
    Ok......
    That's true in a lot of ways, for me. I really don't want to compromise my preferences. I don't necessarily think people are opposed to me. I just think we don't currently share the same interests. In other words, it's not worth the trouble to find out when there are much easier options. I don't have trouble befriending others these days who don't share my interests to some degree, and have. But I don't prefer to have friends in abundance that I must then be committed to, at this time in my life. ISTP's have the commitment clause to consider, as well ISTP's are also known to befriend people who specifically share common interests. It's what they enjoy doing, so I think that's a big influence from my part. It's pretty much a practical, cut-to-the-chase method when I seek out a group that shares my interests already, as opposed to choosing to weed through people and find them, or to influence people. I think it's kindof selfish, actually. I need those specialized interactions, I seek them out, and I ignore other. I see it as more of a preference, and that I am seeking to have my needs fulfilled, than a rejection of others who don't share my interests, at this point in time. I need to act on my purpose, I suppose.

I agree in the fact that when tested, I did also figure out that I was a loner by choice... that I was choosing my ways, and they have never been thrust upon me.

I have found that I tend to "reject" those that I don't consider appropriately serving my life in some way. My "rejections" are thorough. Once I reject, I reject completely. Otherwise, I'm just being flaky and non-committal lol......

What you describe, has happened to me exactly.... but it is tied to my past. I rejected everyone from my past, that I grew up with. It's not because I don't like them, it's that I think we don't have a lot in common, and that they are opposed to me. It doesn't generally happen to me these days, and I attribute it to environment. Where I come from: mostly Christians, mostly people who don't accept my background, mostly close-minded people. Nothing in common. Where I live now: open-minded, accepting and respectful, all religions or none acceptable. I don't feel as if I am in-opposition to anyone here, but that it's a blend. I think it helps to keep the situations in perspective. In other words, I think that now, there are very few people who would actually be opposed to me, whereas from my past, I think most would be, but this has to do more with them being opposed to my beliefs and lifestyle than my interests. If I wanted to and thought it would enrich my life in some way, I would pursue reconnecting, but at this point, it would be more of a job than a fun endeavor in which both people gained. I see no gain for myself, and I am selfish in that way.

It doesn't help that I know all-too-well the people I grew up with and how intolerant they are. I just don't need that in my life, which I think, is the real reason why I am rejecting them. So I do have my reasons..... they just happen to not be legitimate reasons for other types, and I am aware of that.
    ISTP 6w5 sx/sp
    6-8-4/6-9-4 Tritype

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Post you lousy bastards! POST!
    ISTP 6w5 sx/sp
    6-8-4/6-9-4 Tritype

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INTp

I agree with whoever said IPs. We seem more prone to detachment, which is similar to independence. I think I could probably live as a hermit if I had the gardening ability and money for a property. We're not really dependent on other humans by nature.
    MBTI: INTP (PNIT if you wanna put it in order of strength.)
    Socionics: INTp
    Enneagram: 5w4
    Alignment: Neutral Good
    Political Stance: (usually) Very Liberal
    Religious Stance: (roughly) Secular Humanist
    Class: Wizard
    Stereotype: Geek/Hippie

Also, credit for my new avatar goes to this person. I found it on the google.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    what personality traits do you think correlate with independence? they can be MBTI types, cognitive processes, enneagram types, instinctual subtypes, or just personality traits that aren't related to a typology structure
    Detachment.

I > E
    N > S
    T > F
    P > J