User Tag List

Question ADD and its effects on personality type?

I have been trying to figure out which personality type describes me best. I have taken multiple tests and tend to switch back and forth between two different types, ISTJ and ISTP. The thing I am trying to figure out is if the wavering between two similar types is because of my ADD/ADHD whichever you want to call it. I tend to identify with aspects of both personality types, however, I feel like I may really be an ISTJ but with the addition of my ADD I get pushed more towards the fluency of an ISTP type. Any thoughts?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

I have ADD and I think it tends to push me to be more P dom. On adderall or rititlin (sp) I tend to be more xNTJish (and when I mix with alchole more ESTP)
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

MBTI
    ¥¤
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so

I think disorders are a part of *you*...so don't adjust for ADD. If it's making you a P, then you're a P - because ADD is incurable.

I've got ADD too (but the hyper kind). If I didn't have it, I'd probably be an ExTJ, believe it or not.
    3w4-9w1-?w6 (nearly headless nick)
    sp/so
    Lawful Evil

COCKBURN:

http://sundrytimes.files.wordpress.c...tomic-bomb.jpg

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

It seems like Js with ADD are more likely to have the inattentive type as opposed to the hyperactive type. Regardless, you should type yourself with functions instead of dichotomies; it makes determining P/J much easier.

MBTI
    INFP

As a neurological developmental disorder, ADHD leads to diminished executive function. That presentation may seem to affect personality type, but I don’t think it does. Inasmuch as ADHD affects behavior, it may color the expression of one’s personality, but does not change it directly.

Do your results change if and when you are properly medicated (if that is an efficacious option for you)?

Consider too that MBTI types are normative and are not informed by disorders, neurological or otherwise.

cheers,
    Ian

MBTI
    ¥¤
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by aeon View Post
    As a neurological developmental disorder, ADHD leads to diminished executive function. That presentation may seem to affect personality type, but I don’t think it does. Inasmuch as ADHD affects behavior, it may color the expression of one’s personality, but does not change it directly.

Do your results change if and when you are properly medicated (if that is an efficacious option for you)?

Consider too that MBTI types are normative and are not informed by disorders, neurological or otherwise.

cheers,
    Ian
    I'd think that any xxTJ would have strong executive function. Te is basically purely executive function.
    3w4-9w1-?w6 (nearly headless nick)
    sp/so
    Lawful Evil

COCKBURN:

http://sundrytimes.files.wordpress.c...tomic-bomb.jpg

MBTI
    ENTP

There's no such thing as ADD where I live.