User Tag List

First 12

Why not ask him why he's laughing during a time where he's not being disciplined? Depending on his response, you can respond accordingly.

Most children aren't very complicated.

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    Laughing at your parents when they're correcting you is disrespectful and defiant.

What is fucked up is a parent who can't even control their child.
    the job of a parent is not to control the child. it's not healthy for anyone to have their behavior controlled constantly. the job of the parent is to teach the child how to survive, take care of themselves, educate them and learn basic people skills.
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

ReflecTcelfeR

Obviously the child is possessed. The laughter is meant to haunt your dreams.

I think almost everything is funny! I laugh at ABSOLUTELY nothing. I just find it all so fascinating. I wouldn't assume disrespect. I would assume nervousness... Though it depends on how old the child is, because if they're old enough to know what not to do, then we see disrespect, if he doesn't he might assume it's still cute. Weird transition phases are weird.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    the job of a parent is not to control the child. it's not healthy for anyone to have their behavior controlled constantly. the job of the parent is to teach the child how to survive, take care of themselves, educate them and learn basic people skills.
    The job of the parent is to keep the child from being a nuisance and a burden to other people i.e. "socializing" the child as well assuring that the child is respectful of their parent, because a child who hasn't been properly disciplined when very young can become absolutely monstrous with age. I'm not saying this is the case with Lily Flower, I'm just saying in general.

I've been around children my whole life - I'm talking extensive baby-sitting more than one child at a time, various children, plus tons of kids in my family, and some student teaching and I even taught Sunday school for a while. "Don't do that now Johnny" as Johnny sets fire to the neighbor's cat is a bunch of bullshit. I do not approve.

It's important to find out if Lily Flower's son is laughing nervously or defiantly. That makes all the difference in the world.

My ISTJ was making fun of NF parents tonight for this reason, for the way some of you are responding to this thread. Of course, most of you who are saying these silly things don't even have kids.

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    The job of the parent is to keep the child from being a nuisance and a burden to other people i.e. "socializing" the child as well assuring that the child is respectful of their parent, because a child who hasn't been properly disciplined when very young can become absolutely monstrous with age. I'm not saying this is the case with Lily Flower, I'm just saying in general.

I've been around children my whole life - I'm talking extensive baby-sitting more than one child at a time, various children, plus tons of kids in my family, and some student teaching and I even taught Sunday school for a while. "Don't do that now Johnny" as Johnny sets fire to the neighbor's cat is a bunch of bullshit. I do not approve.

It's important to find out if Lily Flower's son is laughing nervously or defiantly. That makes all the difference in the world.

My ISTJ was making fun of NF parents tonight for this reason, for the way some of you are responding to this thread. Of course, most of you who are saying these silly things don't even have kids.
    it seems like we agree. I just got the wrong impression when you used the word "control". I don't think most parents today discipline their children anywhere near the right amount (either not at all, as you've stated or taken the other extreme and being controlling, overtly domineering and mercilessly punitive)
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

The reason I want to know if it's disrespect or nervousness is that it requires a completely different response. If he's just laughing because he is nervous, then I am not going to make an issue out of it, other than to teach him that people in his life (like teachers) are not going to take well to him laughing. When I was a child I used to laugh when people got hurt. It was completely a nervous reaction and I got yelled at a couple of times for being mean, when really I just have such a strong empathy reaction and the laughter relieved stress.

If he's being disrespectful, however, it requires a completely different response. That much disrespect can cause serious consequences as he gets older. I don't have any need to control my children, but I am trying to teach them to be decent people who treat others well and know how to behave out in society.

As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Lily flower, how old is your little guy? Does he still do what he is told even though he laughs about it?

You should be glad he's laughing and not cutting his wrists in the corner listening to modest mouse. Give him a pat on the back.
    Veni, Vidi, Cessi.