• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Socionic's Mirror Relation

Crescent Fresh

Diving into Ni-space
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I wonder how true the descritipon is to TypeC posters?

To recap, here's the description from Socionic:

These are relations of mutual correction. Mirror partners have similar interests and ideas, but a slightly different understanding of the same problems. Each partner can see only half of one problem. Therefore the partners always find what the other partner is thinking interesting. Usually partners quickly realise that they are very like-minded.

The area of confidence of one partner is always the area of creativity for the other partner. What one partner considers solid and final appears incomplete and changeable for the other partner. This difference may often puzzle the partners especially when they fulfil their mutual plans. It seems for them as if the other partner simply misunderstood the main concept. Therefore partners attempt to correct each other's understanding but usually fail, because each partner acts from their confident side. For the same reason, Mirror partners can be involved in really hot disputes and can even come to blows in the name of their opinion.

However, Mirror partners are often very good friends. When they work together on the same project, their mutual correction and adjustment becomes a constructive criticism that is usually accepted as useful. The main discomfort in these relations is caused by the difference in Judgement and Perception between the partners. Mirror partners generally agree about setting near future goals, but disagree about global aims. Mirror relations usually lack warm atmosphere between partners. This situation normally changes in presence of a third person who is Dual to one partner and an Activity partner to the other.

Mirror pairs:

ENTp - INTj
ISFp - ESFj
ENFj - INFp
ISTj - ESTp
ESFp - ISFj
INTp - ENTj
ESTj - ISTp
INFj - ENFp

Esoteric Wench

Professional Trickster
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
Ooooh..... I find this very interesting.

INFJs are my mirrors. And, I have found the above description to be mostly dead on.

These are relations of mutual correction. Mirror partners have similar interests and ideas, but a slightly different understanding of the same problems. Each partner can see only half of one problem. Therefore the partners always find what the other partner is thinking interesting. Usually partners quickly realize that they are very like-minded.

I can smell an INFJ in the distance in the same way my dog can seemingly smell cheese the instant it's pulled out of the fridge. It's like INFJs and I are using the same decoder ring and I instantly pick up on this.

The area of confidence of one partner is always the area of creativity for the other partner. What one partner considers solid and final appears incomplete and changeable for the other partner. This difference may often puzzle the partners especially when they fulfill their mutual plans. It seems for them as if the other partner simply misunderstood the main concept. Therefore partners attempt to correct each other's understanding but usually fail, because each partner acts from their confident side. For the same reason, Mirror partners can be involved in really hot disputes and can even come to blows in the name of their opinion.

I get along with INFJs very well, but every once in a while I'll have a major showdown with an INFJ because they are being (what seems to me) like a complete bonehead. And, during these showdowns I get very, very angry... more so than with lots of other types. It's almost like our similarity highlights our differences if that makes any sense.

However, Mirror partners are often very good friends. When they work together on the same project, their mutual correction and adjustment becomes a constructive criticism that is usually accepted as useful.

Yep. I adore pretty much every INFJ I know. And I feel like I learn a lot from them... maybe even more than from my fellow-ENFP friends.

The main discomfort in these relations is caused by the difference in Judgement and Perception between the partners.

Ha ha! So true. I don't know how INFJs do the whole J thing. It is the major point of mundane conflict with them. (I mean mundane friction in that this is the source of everyday, small annoyances.... not the rare, big blowups.)

Mirror partners generally agree about setting near future goals, but disagree about global aims. Mirror relations usually lack warm atmosphere between partners. This situation normally changes in presence of a third person who is Dual to one partner and an Activity partner to the other.

My significant other is my Dual (ISTP). ISTPs are also the Activity partners of INFJs. I've noticed that when my ISTP is around me and one particular INFJ friend, things lighten up and there is such an air friendliness. I've often wondered if this could be explained by Socionics' intertype relations theory.

======================

I find this subject very interesting and hope others will share their stories, too. Crescent Fresh, have you had similar experiences with ENFPs you've known?

Offog

MBTI Type
INTP
Socionics uses a different notation than MBTI. The j/p orientation is determined by the dominant function, not the extroverted one as in MBTI. This means that the orientation is the same for an extrovert but opposite for an introvert. This is why I prefer the three-letter codes when discussing socionics. Less chance of confusing yourself.

ENFP = Ne + Fi = Intuitive Ethical Extrovert or IEE (ENFp)
INFJ = Ni + Fe = Intuitive Ethical Introvert or IEI (INFp)
INFP = Fi + Ne = Ethical Intuitive Introvert or EII (INFj)
And for completeness
ENFJ = Fe + Ni = Ethical Intuitive Extrovert or EIE. (ENFj)

The IEE mirror is the EII (INFP). They have the same top functions in reverse order. The IEI (INFJ) is actually the extinguisher of the ENFP. They supposedly find one another interesting, even fascinating, but discussions typically go in circles without resolving themselves.

Personally, I find socionics rather overdetermined. I won't get into the question of whether the functions are congruent between the two systems or not.