• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Big Problems vs Little Problems and Type

Xyk

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I'm an INTP. I also do not worry about little things at all. Someone spit on me? I don't really care. Someone yelled at me? Again, I don't care. I don't care one bit if it's too hot in a room or if a piece of technology isn't working quite like it's supposed to.

It's the big things that matter to me. I get really upset when a country declares war. I get really upset when education spending is cut, even when it doesn't affect me.

Other people are not like this. Are they different types? Which function most likely deals with this?

I'm leaning towards the S-N spectrum, but that's just because I don't really understand it.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
It's an interesting question.

I'm the opposite, at least with the examples you give. All those little things you mention are things I easily get worked up over.

On the other hand, some of the "big" things that you mention, I probably don't worry enough about, especially if it doesn't directly affect me in any way. Sometimes I wished I cared more about politics and certain current events.

I think you may be right though, that N's tend to have more of a big picture focus, so they may have a tendency to get more worked up over big picture issues.

Regarding those who tend to get worked up over little things, I would guess that correlates more to the neuroticism factor on the big five or with one's psychological health more than MBTI type.

jimrckhnd

MBTI Type
INTP
"I don't care one bit if it's too hot in a room or if a piece of technology isn't working quite like it's supposed to."

Oh... that can make me nuts. If some piece of gear in the lab starts giving wonky data for no apparent reason it can make me crazy - or worse, give good data, give bad data, good data, bad data (I have a meter than I'm supposed to use that is always a crap shoot). Nothing makes me crazier than spending a couple of hours nursing a laptop back to health when I'm supposed to be working.

In contrast I'm pretty calm about wars and education funding cuts. I accept the folly of man, accept my limitations (I can't fix these things), and rarely get serioulsy bent out of shape about macro issues I can't address. Not that I don't care - I do what I can - but I don't get spun up over them.

Xyk

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
From these three INTPs, I think it's safe to conclude that either I'm not an INTP or type is not that big an influence on this issue. I do understand that some things are more or less out of my control, and that those things are the big things. But the little things just don't seem worth my attention.

Vizzy

Enneagram
5w4
I get really annoyed at things that are SUPPOSED to work, but don't...as if they happen just to spite me.
Examples are computers breaking down, the internet not working, trains being late, or me dropping a pen when I'm in a rush...and it just happens to roll in the smallest gap in the tightest corner.
But of course, I'm aware that these are 1st world problems and I know they mean nothing when put into perspective.
(Also, I can be incredibly miserly and get all uptight about spending $2 that I shouldn't have to...but perhaps that's a different topic.)

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I think this is a Calm vs Limbic thing (as in Big 5).

It could also be a "Behind the Scenes" interaction style, which you use as an INTP. They're probably pluggiing away at some master plan rather than stepping out, overseeing things, bossing people around, etc.

But I find it hard to believe that anyone would be cool as a cucumber after being spat at (intentionally). That's about the ultimate insult.

Well, even if accidentally, I'd probably call them a gross fucking animal or something.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
There's also a person's own experience that will shape these things. You could have issues with certain things because of "sore spots" from some pain involving a related issue. INTP's are stereotyped as always calm and indifferent, but then most MBTI profiles are idealized "healthy" types.

Xyk

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I think this is a Calm vs Limbic thing (as in Big 5).

It could also be a "Behind the Scenes" interaction style, which you use as an INTP. They're probably pluggiing away at some master plan rather than stepping out, overseeing things, bossing people around, etc.

But I find it hard to believe that anyone would be cool as a cucumber after being spat at (intentionally). That's about the ultimate insult.

Well, even if accidentally, I'd probably call them a gross fucking animal or something.

Well to be fair, I don't remember a time I've been spit on. I imagine it'd go something like this

Antagonist: *spit*
Me: "Awww grossss." in a whiny voice.

A better example is spending an extra few bucks because a restaurant messed up. Or having to park far away or something.

I remember taking a Big 5 test at some point and did not learn anything about myself that I didn't all ready know.

Depression is a different issue altogether. The apathy that stems from it can probably affect all types.

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I personally think that it has more to do with j vs p, i'm a judger and care about every little thing, and i'm not affected by the big things as much probably. This is probably because big things are usually out of your control, life circumstances happen and because i'm an N i dont hold on to those things and look for improvement. It also has to do with displacement of anger sometimes too, depending on how mature the person is...it probably all comes down to maturity. However in my view the little things add up, which you have to deal with EVERYDAY. Many stressors throughout the day are exhausting, (ie not being able to find things in the morning, having to clean things up to get to other things, walking a long parking lot etc...) they all add up. The percievers in my life are far better at not getting upset in those situations than the judgers i know.

G

Glycerine

To be honest many things freak me out but in the end, I figure it out. Small things annoy me more than major issues. I don't think its by any means type related. I stay really calm in major events (like people dying, someone telling me about rape, people yelling at each other, natural disasters, war).

amazingdatagirl

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
6w5
Actually, I can remember being spit upon when I was a child. I was teased mercilessly throughout grade school. As I recall, I wiped it off and walked away without a word (while the verbal taunts continued).

Regarding the big thing/little thing question in the original post, I don't look for reasons to express moral outrage at any level. Personal affronts are either ignored or met with mild mockery - gotta be careful here cause people get really mad when you joke about their most cherished beliefs. Occasionally a political or social issue will grab my attention but I get over it pretty quickly.

[MENTION=14144]jimrckhnd[/MENTION]'s comment pretty much describes my experience. Political gridlock in Washington and financial meltdown on Wall Street don't affect my emotional state as much as stupid computer failures or that DAMN SQUEAKING NOISE that the air conditioner makes. The fucking air conditioner drives me insane.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Well to be fair, I don't remember a time I've been spit on. I imagine it'd go something like this

Antagonist: *spit*
Me: "Awww grossss." in a whiny voice.

Does this mean you simply pride yourself on being passive?

This doesn't mean you don't care, it may just mean you think it's best to be whiny...rather than assigning retribution to the person who spat, which is what I would do.

A better example is spending an extra few bucks because a restaurant messed up. Or having to park far away or something.

This has nothing to do with being limbic and more to do with being being concerned with money (whether that's through actually being poor or being a spoiled tightwad depends on the person) and being a lazy fatass in the second case. People who whine about having to park far away go down a notch in my estimation usually, unless they're somehow physically handicapped or they're sick or pregnant.

I remember taking a Big 5 test at some point and did not learn anything about myself that I didn't all ready know.

Depression is a different issue altogether. The apathy that stems from it can probably affect all types.

I'm limbic "reactive" and sensitive, but other things totally don't affect me at all.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
I'm an INTP. I also do not worry about little things at all. Someone spit on me? I don't really care. Someone yelled at me? Again, I don't care. I don't care one bit if it's too hot in a room or if a piece of technology isn't working quite like it's supposed to.

It's the big things that matter to me. I get really upset when a country declares war. I get really upset when education spending is cut, even when it doesn't affect me.

Other people are not like this. Are they different types? Which function most likely deals with this?

I'm leaning towards the S-N spectrum, but that's just because I don't really understand it.

I think you're lying about what you're like, either to us or to yourself, deliberately or by omission.

There are most likely some "small scale" things that affect you and some "large scale" things that don't. Just like everybody else.

Xyk

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I think you're lying about what you're like, either to us or to yourself, deliberately or by omission.

There are most likely some "small scale" things that affect you and some "large scale" things that don't. Just like everybody else.

Of course things aren't black and white like I laid out. I thought everybody assumed that naturally. But little problems really don't bother me nearly as much as big problems do. I work in vague concepts, generalities, and patterns; concrete examples are hard and don't give the entire picture. I think we've pretty much established that type has little to nothing to do with the issue of big vs little stuff.

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Spitting on someone is the worst insult possible. If any fucker had ever done that shit to me or anyone I respect, I'd split every single atom of the animal's body.