User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INTp

Default Big Problems vs Little Problems and Type

I'm an INTP. I also do not worry about little things at all. Someone spit on me? I don't really care. Someone yelled at me? Again, I don't care. I don't care one bit if it's too hot in a room or if a piece of technology isn't working quite like it's supposed to.

It's the big things that matter to me. I get really upset when a country declares war. I get really upset when education spending is cut, even when it doesn't affect me.

Other people are not like this. Are they different types? Which function most likely deals with this?

I'm leaning towards the S-N spectrum, but that's just because I don't really understand it.
    MBTI: INTP (PNIT if you wanna put it in order of strength.)
    Socionics: INTp
    Enneagram: 5w4
    Alignment: Neutral Good
    Political Stance: (usually) Very Liberal
    Religious Stance: (roughly) Secular Humanist
    Class: Wizard
    Stereotype: Geek/Hippie

Also, credit for my new avatar goes to this person. I found it on the google.

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

It's an interesting question.

I'm the opposite, at least with the examples you give. All those little things you mention are things I easily get worked up over.

On the other hand, some of the "big" things that you mention, I probably don't worry enough about, especially if it doesn't directly affect me in any way. Sometimes I wished I cared more about politics and certain current events.

I think you may be right though, that N's tend to have more of a big picture focus, so they may have a tendency to get more worked up over big picture issues.

Regarding those who tend to get worked up over little things, I would guess that correlates more to the neuroticism factor on the big five or with one's psychological health more than MBTI type.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

MBTI
    INTP

"I don't care one bit if it's too hot in a room or if a piece of technology isn't working quite like it's supposed to."

Oh... that can make me nuts. If some piece of gear in the lab starts giving wonky data for no apparent reason it can make me crazy - or worse, give good data, give bad data, good data, bad data (I have a meter than I'm supposed to use that is always a crap shoot). Nothing makes me crazier than spending a couple of hours nursing a laptop back to health when I'm supposed to be working.

In contrast I'm pretty calm about wars and education funding cuts. I accept the folly of man, accept my limitations (I can't fix these things), and rarely get serioulsy bent out of shape about macro issues I can't address. Not that I don't care - I do what I can - but I don't get spun up over them.
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INTp

From these three INTPs, I think it's safe to conclude that either I'm not an INTP or type is not that big an influence on this issue. I do understand that some things are more or less out of my control, and that those things are the big things. But the little things just don't seem worth my attention.

Enneagram
    5w4

I get really annoyed at things that are SUPPOSED to work, but don't...as if they happen just to spite me.
    Examples are computers breaking down, the internet not working, trains being late, or me dropping a pen when I'm in a rush...and it just happens to roll in the smallest gap in the tightest corner.
    But of course, I'm aware that these are 1st world problems and I know they mean nothing when put into perspective.
    (Also, I can be incredibly miserly and get all uptight about spending $2 that I shouldn't have to...but perhaps that's a different topic.)
    5w4
    Reserved RCUEI

MBTI
    ¥¤
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so

I think this is a Calm vs Limbic thing (as in Big 5).

It could also be a "Behind the Scenes" interaction style, which you use as an INTP. They're probably pluggiing away at some master plan rather than stepping out, overseeing things, bossing people around, etc.

But I find it hard to believe that anyone would be cool as a cucumber after being spat at (intentionally). That's about the ultimate insult.

Well, even if accidentally, I'd probably call them a gross fucking animal or something.
    3w4-9w1-?w6 (nearly headless nick)
    sp/so
    Lawful Evil

COCKBURN:

http://sundrytimes.files.wordpress.c...tomic-bomb.jpg

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

There's also a person's own experience that will shape these things. You could have issues with certain things because of "sore spots" from some pain involving a related issue. INTP's are stereotyped as always calm and indifferent, but then most MBTI profiles are idealized "healthy" types.
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INTp

Quote Originally Posted by mrcockburn View Post
    I think this is a Calm vs Limbic thing (as in Big 5).

It could also be a "Behind the Scenes" interaction style, which you use as an INTP. They're probably pluggiing away at some master plan rather than stepping out, overseeing things, bossing people around, etc.

But I find it hard to believe that anyone would be cool as a cucumber after being spat at (intentionally). That's about the ultimate insult.

Well, even if accidentally, I'd probably call them a gross fucking animal or something.
    Well to be fair, I don't remember a time I've been spit on. I imagine it'd go something like this

Antagonist: *spit*
    Me: "Awww grossss." in a whiny voice.

A better example is spending an extra few bucks because a restaurant messed up. Or having to park far away or something.

I remember taking a Big 5 test at some point and did not learn anything about myself that I didn't all ready know.

Depression is a different issue altogether. The apathy that stems from it can probably affect all types.

Unapologetic being Evolving Transparency's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

I personally think that it has more to do with j vs p, i'm a judger and care about every little thing, and i'm not affected by the big things as much probably. This is probably because big things are usually out of your control, life circumstances happen and because i'm an N i dont hold on to those things and look for improvement. It also has to do with displacement of anger sometimes too, depending on how mature the person is...it probably all comes down to maturity. However in my view the little things add up, which you have to deal with EVERYDAY. Many stressors throughout the day are exhausting, (ie not being able to find things in the morning, having to clean things up to get to other things, walking a long parking lot etc...) they all add up. The percievers in my life are far better at not getting upset in those situations than the judgers i know.

Glycerine

To be honest many things freak me out but in the end, I figure it out. Small things annoy me more than major issues. I don't think its by any means type related. I stay really calm in major events (like people dying, someone telling me about rape, people yelling at each other, natural disasters, war).