User Tag List

First 456

A window to the soul

Quote Originally Posted by amazingdatagirl View Post
    I did not intend to imply that T/F preference is the result of socialization rather than inborn biological programming. In fact, I said that an T parent might have to fake an F-like response to a child's needs.
    Just like an F parent might have to fake an F-like response to a child's needs, right?

Personally, I believe that the preference for T object-based decision making is a result of genetic and in utero conditions. Behavioral conditioning causes female Ts to assume traditionally female F social roles.
    "F"-social role? What is a "traditionally female F-social role?"

Likewise, F males tend to become more T-like. Even though an individual may choose to role play the opposite decision making function, the inborn personality preference does not change.
    Are you basing that on functions developing with age?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

adg: we might be saying the same things in different ways. I agree that T/F preference, like our other preferences, is inborn. A T parent or caregiver would then be operating outside of preferences in responding to F-based needs such as small children often present. Likewise, a F person operates outside of preference when addressing logistical or other mainly objective issues. This isn't the same as faking it, which suggests a level of manipulation, often quite justified, but not in direct relations with a child.

If female Ts are in a culture that expects F-like behavior from them, they have several possible responses. First, as you mention, they may respond to cultural conditioning in a way that leads them to internalize the expectations, and attempt to fulfill them because they consider it "right". Or, they can internally reject the expectations, but make the conscious choice to fulfill at least some of them to get what they want. Or, they can reject the expectations internally and make the choice not to fulfill them, in spite of whatever opposition they may encounter. I would suspect that the choice one makes is dependent upon both type and circumstances.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    This is a bit simplistic. Men may have been the primary hunters, but women were most likely the literal "breadwinners", since anthropological evidence points to home-based women as the developers and original implementers of agriculture. And in all of nature, there is little more fierce and protective than a mother defending her young. Are you suggesting some basis for T/F difference in biology, or rather in centuries of socialization, or something else?

I would suspect that some types are inherently more resistant to socialization than others.
    I am not saying any function is inferior or superior, just pointing out that T would be just as valuable as F in helping to keep oneself and one's children fed and out of danger. You seem to be coming down on the side of socialization, which seems to me a more reasonable explanation for the T/F difference than biology.
    I was referring to the roles women and men have take on, not any biologically based preference. (I had started out saying that either could be T or F, as we see around us).

I had said the natural focus of the gender [role]s had shifted more to the T or F side .
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

A window to the soul

adg: we might be saying the same things in different ways. I agree that T/F preference, like our other preferences, is inborn. A T parent or caregiver would then be operating outside of preferences in responding to F-based needs such as small children often present. Likewise, a F person operates outside of preference when addressing logistical or other mainly objective issues. This isn't the same as faking it, which suggests a level of manipulation, often quite justified, but not in direct relations with a child.
    That is absotively the funniest BS I've heard all day! Now step aside while I show you how it's done...

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

OK - I'll watch with interest.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...