User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ¥¤
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so

Default Strict/Harsh Upbringing = P?

This is my theory anyway.

People raised in lax environments where they were able to make their own decisions become J's.

People raised strictly with impossible standards (with consequences if they failed to meet) become P's.

The former upbringing instills confidence, decisiveness, and assertiveness. The latter deprives the individual of the opportunity to exercise their own faculties and fosters a resentment towards authority/rules.

I notice this is true with most people I know from childhood. It's true for me - obviously my overzealous xNTJ stepfather (who, in middle/high school, *required* me to study each day and to get staight A's) didn't plan for me to end up ESFP. :p
    3w4-9w1-?w6 (nearly headless nick)
    sp/so
    Lawful Evil

COCKBURN:

http://sundrytimes.files.wordpress.c...tomic-bomb.jpg

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????

Mine was a mix of both, sort of. Probably more the latter. I am a P, but have always been that way. I think it has more to do with decision making than actual Pness or Jness.
    Excuse me, but does this smell like chloroform to you?

Always reserve the right to become smarter at a future point in time, for only a fool limits themselves to all they knew in the past. -Alex

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

nah, both of my parents are P's and neither were strict.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Not true of me at all. My ENTP dad fits that P description and was always big on rebelling against authority and encouraging me to think for myself (at least in theory, in practice he never believed I was demonstrating intelligent and independent thought unless I agreed with him on everything). My ISFJ mother had difficulty being assertive enough to set appropriate limits with her kids. My upbringing definitely falls into the "lax" variety, although it wasn't exactly a healthy, confidence-instilling sort of lax.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

My parents were very strict in a sense but not in a bad way, me and my brother are both P. They never had much trouble with either of us.

My sister (the youngest) is J, they had their hands full with that one, I'd say they were the most strict with her, or at least had to show their strictness on a much regular basis.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INTp

Nope. I'm a P and my parents were pretty chill. I should say "are" pretty chill. I also have two J siblings. My parents were stricter with my ENFJ older brother, and he turned out pretty J.
    MBTI: INTP (PNIT if you wanna put it in order of strength.)
    Socionics: INTp
    Enneagram: 5w4
    Alignment: Neutral Good
    Political Stance: (usually) Very Liberal
    Religious Stance: (roughly) Secular Humanist
    Class: Wizard
    Stereotype: Geek/Hippie

Also, credit for my new avatar goes to this person. I found it on the google.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFp None

My parents were somewhat strict but I had many freedoms... and I'm a P. They were far stricter with my older brother, he's a J. I don't think it's as black and white as you're making it out to be...
    Be soft. Do not let the world make you hard. Do not let pain make you hate. Do not let the bitterness steal your sweetness." ― Kurt Vonnegut

ENFP. 7w6 – 4w3 – 1w9 sx/so. Aries. Dilettante. Overly anxious optimist.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5sp

Eh, my ISTJ parents were moderately strict and I definitely think that rebelling in my later teenage years was mostly due to my upbringing. But, I think I've always been a "P" regardless.
    I got my smile from the sunshine,
    I got my tears from the rain.
    I learned to dance when I saw a tiger prance,
    And a peacock taught me to be vain.
    A little owl in a tree so high,
    He taught me how to wink my eye.
    I learned to bill and coo from a turtledove,
    And a grizzly bear taught me how to hug.
    But the guy that lived two caves from me,
    He taught me how to love.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Not true here either.
    My parents were not strict at all, and had very low standards. Lower than I wanted......
    ISTP 6w5 sx/sp
    6-8-4/6-9-4 Tritype

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Another P here raised by a strong P.

Maybe it is not so much about how strict your parents are (mine weren't, neither my ENTP mum nor my sort-of-mostly-absent INFJ dad) but about how much flexibility or adapting to your environment your environment demands of you. Nobody was ever strict with me but I was sort of eager to preemptively please, to do what i assumed was expeczed of me and adopt to my environment in order to not stick out too much if I could help it (need I say that didn't work out? At least I always felt like the odd one all my life). That demanded a good degree of flexibility and adaptability, positive P qualities, but also meant a lack of strength of will, self discipline and determination to hunt after personal goals - P weaknesses, I guess.

EDIT: My little sister is a ISFP (somewhat subborn, but a very non-abrasive, sweet person) and my brother, the youngest, is a J ...he was the most pampered of the three, basically grew up without much of a father to talk about and had to find his own way and identity as the junior and the only male in a house of women...and turned out an ENTJ.
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari