• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Strict/Harsh Upbringing = P?

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
don't think so

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
I don't think that's true. I think people have a tendency to compensate for their childhood - as in people from chaotic backgrounds will seek order, etc. However, I think it can only affect how people express and articulate their base character. Upbringing doesn't cause personality, it does shape the raw matter that is already there.

V

violaine

I'm a J who was raised by two Ps in a strict environment... Figure that one out! :wizfreak:

I can draw a straight line from my upbringing to my attitudes though. I have extremely high standards for myself and am naturally conscientious. But I have no desire whatsoever to control another person and that is because I felt stifled as a child who had to live by a lot of rules. I only ever want what someone wants to give me of their own free will. I'm at such an extreme in that way that I can sometimes "shoot myself in the foot" in relationships because I won't boss someone around to get what would suit me better. Even referring to it as "bossing someone around" is indicative of my mindset.

Zoom

Self sustaining supernova
Enneagram
9w8
This is my theory anyway.

People raised in lax environments where they were able to make their own decisions become J's.

People raised strictly with impossible standards (with consequences if they failed to meet) become P's.

The former upbringing instills confidence, decisiveness, and assertiveness. The latter deprives the individual of the opportunity to exercise their own faculties and fosters a resentment towards authority/rules.

I notice this is true with most people I know from childhood. It's true for me - obviously my overzealous xNTJ stepfather (who, in middle/high school, *required* me to study each day and to get staight A's) didn't plan for me to end up ESFP. :p

Nah. :coffee:

Elfa

Señora Member
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
My dad is ENTJ, my mom is ISFP or ISTP i think, none of them were very strict, and I'm a INFP. I was always strict to myself - my dad always told me to relax. Yes, an ENTJ telling an INFP to relax. "Stop studying, go play some videogame!" xD

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
My dad is ENTJ, my mom is ISFP or ISTP i think, none of them were very strict, and I'm a INFP. I was always strict to myself - my dad always told me to relax. Yes, an ENTJ telling an INFP to relax. "Stop studying, go play some videogame!" xD

LOL that's what my mom and bio dad always told me. Of course, the encouraged me to pursue what I loved as a career - writing. (Not technical writing - creative writing). They were both xSFPs like me.

My adoptive father pretty much insisted that I pursue law - he's an attorney himself. Didn't happen! ;)

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
My mom is a J
My dad is a P

My mom is usually worrisome while my dad is usually relaxed. When I was a kid, if my mom didn't let me go somewhere, I would always ask my dad. :D
My mom and one of my siblings were usually harsh/strict.

So I kind of don't see a correlation because I have both harsh and lax traits.

You can be indecisive with an indecisive parent as well as be indecisive with a parent that makes every decision for you.

Little_Sticks

I prefer my theory.

If you were a little shit when you were younger - you're a P.
If you were a little asshole that always had to be right - you're a J.

purledbanjo

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
My best friend is an INFJ, her family was very P-ish. Her mom is super duper emotional and wishy washy and her dad was a pandhandling musician. Not a lot of stability. She's super duper rigid and efficient. Very rules/organized driven.

I am an INFP, my mother I believe possibly is an ISTJ she was very detached from us, but we were clean and fed and things were always in order. My dad was extremely comntrolling and abusive. I remember never playing with my toys because my mom would freak if the room got messed up. I would just sit and long to play with the dusty little creatures on the shelf.

I don't know how that all effects personality, but I'm sure there is some overlap between genetics and environment.

Patches

Klingon Warrior Princess
Very much disagree. I had strict/controlling parents.

My parents were very strict. ESPECIALLY as far as academics go. From the time I was a small child to highschool... My stepfather used to make up extra homework/tests for me to complete outside of class because he felt that public school didn't give enough work. So every day I was expected to do several hours worth of work after I got home from class. If I wrote my homework in handwriting that was too messy, my stepfather would grab a dictionary and make me copy pages upon pages from it in the neatest handwriting I could. I was also forced to play 5 difference instruments for enrichment. I was not allowed to watch TV unless it was History channel/Discovery channel documentaries. I didn't really have a lot of time to hang out with friends.

I always wanted to go into Art. I drew all the time, and my school offered a ton of art classes as well as "art majors". When I was younger, I was told I wasn't allowed to take art classes. I legitimately wanted to pursue digital/graphic design as a career rather than biology when I got to highschool. I was told that art is not a legitimate career and I wasn't allowed to take graphic design classes.

That's the general overview. But I'm very J.

NegativeZero

MBTI Type
INxP
Enneagram
5w4
ESFJ mother, ESTP father. I'm a P, sister is a J, younger brother will likely be a P. We have an extremely lax household. Oddly enough, I think we're all going to turn out to be intuitives as well. Also, all introverts.