User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

don't think so
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by cascadeco View Post
    I don't really think this holds, given the fact that many families consist of siblings who are both J's and P's - both raised in the same environment.
    Yep.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    GONE

I don't think that's true. I think people have a tendency to compensate for their childhood - as in people from chaotic backgrounds will seek order, etc. However, I think it can only affect how people express and articulate their base character. Upbringing doesn't cause personality, it does shape the raw matter that is already there.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

violaine

I'm a J who was raised by two Ps in a strict environment... Figure that one out!

I can draw a straight line from my upbringing to my attitudes though. I have extremely high standards for myself and am naturally conscientious. But I have no desire whatsoever to control another person and that is because I felt stifled as a child who had to live by a lot of rules. I only ever want what someone wants to give me of their own free will. I'm at such an extreme in that way that I can sometimes "shoot myself in the foot" in relationships because I won't boss someone around to get what would suit me better. Even referring to it as "bossing someone around" is indicative of my mindset.

Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by mrcockburn View Post
    This is my theory anyway.

People raised in lax environments where they were able to make their own decisions become J's.

People raised strictly with impossible standards (with consequences if they failed to meet) become P's.

The former upbringing instills confidence, decisiveness, and assertiveness. The latter deprives the individual of the opportunity to exercise their own faculties and fosters a resentment towards authority/rules.

I notice this is true with most people I know from childhood. It's true for me - obviously my overzealous xNTJ stepfather (who, in middle/high school, *required* me to study each day and to get staight A's) didn't plan for me to end up ESFP. :p

Nah.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

My dad is ENTJ, my mom is ISFP or ISTP i think, none of them were very strict, and I'm a INFP. I was always strict to myself - my dad always told me to relax. Yes, an ENTJ telling an INFP to relax. "Stop studying, go play some videogame!" xD

MBTI
    ¥¤
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Elfa View Post
    My dad is ENTJ, my mom is ISFP or ISTP i think, none of them were very strict, and I'm a INFP. I was always strict to myself - my dad always told me to relax. Yes, an ENTJ telling an INFP to relax. "Stop studying, go play some videogame!" xD
    LOL that's what my mom and bio dad always told me. Of course, the encouraged me to pursue what I loved as a career - writing. (Not technical writing - creative writing). They were both xSFPs like me.

My adoptive father pretty much insisted that I pursue law - he's an attorney himself. Didn't happen!
    3w4-9w1-?w6 (nearly headless nick)
    sp/so
    Lawful Evil

COCKBURN:

http://sundrytimes.files.wordpress.c...tomic-bomb.jpg

My mom is a J
    My dad is a P

My mom is usually worrisome while my dad is usually relaxed. When I was a kid, if my mom didn't let me go somewhere, I would always ask my dad.
    My mom and one of my siblings were usually harsh/strict.

So I kind of don't see a correlation because I have both harsh and lax traits.

You can be indecisive with an indecisive parent as well as be indecisive with a parent that makes every decision for you.

I prefer my theory.

If you were a little shit when you were younger - you're a P.
    If you were a little asshole that always had to be right - you're a J.

Quote Originally Posted by Little_Sticks View Post
    I prefer my theory.

If you were a little shit when you were younger - you're a P.
    If you were a little asshole that always had to be right - you're a J.
    i was both
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”