User Tag List

123 Last

ReflecTcelfeR

Default Flipping MBTI on Its Head

The relief function is supposed to be exactly what it means. What if it's providing relief from the dominant, instead of a situation? The dominant is creating the pressure, it is something you are focusing on and trying to solve and enact, but are unable to. Perhaps the goal is to understand the dominant through your other functions. Maybe the dominant is not something you are good at, but more like a puzzle you've personally singled out to solve and now you use the other functions in an attempt to decipher the purpose of the dominant and when you're auxiliary function does not work you use your relief. Maybe we are the problem and we're trying to solve ourselves.

It's late, I apologize for the lofty language. Thoughts?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INTp

I think perhaps you've misunderstood the functions themselves (or I have). Functions as I understand them are the ways we naturally do things. They're the means, not the ends. My dominant function is not dominant because I'm best at it, but because it's the function I turn to first, without conscious effort. The relief function as I understand it, having just seen that term in your post, is something that relieves the dominant function when it becomes too overloaded. I'm gonna make a guess here and say that Fe is my relief function. It's my inferior function, and just yesterday (er...monday), it relieved my dominant function when I was under enormous stress. I had made an appointment for a tattoo which I had wanted to be a surprise for my mother, and she was bugging me about paying tuition (which was understandable, given it's due date of tuesday). We fought with yelling for a little bit (first time that's happened in my memory) about something completely stupid because I was so stressed about the tattoo and Fe came out of it's dungeon where I usually keep it. When the dominant function is unable to perform it's regular duties, the inferior function steps in to take it's place. Of course, people aren't usually proficient with that function, so it doesn't typically go well.
    MBTI: INTP (PNIT if you wanna put it in order of strength.)
    Socionics: INTp
    Enneagram: 5w4
    Alignment: Neutral Good
    Political Stance: (usually) Very Liberal
    Religious Stance: (roughly) Secular Humanist
    Class: Wizard
    Stereotype: Geek/Hippie

Also, credit for my new avatar goes to this person. I found it on the google.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

I don't understand the functions well, but I like the idea of us saving ourselves.

ReflecTcelfeR

Quote Originally Posted by Xyk View Post
    I think perhaps you've misunderstood the functions themselves (or I have). Functions as I understand them are the ways we naturally do things. They're the means, not the ends. My dominant function is not dominant because I'm best at it, but because it's the function I turn to first, without conscious effort. The relief function as I understand it, having just seen that term in your post, is something that relieves the dominant function when it becomes too overloaded. I'm gonna make a guess here and say that Fe is my relief function. It's my inferior function, and just yesterday (er...monday), it relieved my dominant function when I was under enormous stress. I had made an appointment for a tattoo which I had wanted to be a surprise for my mother, and she was bugging me about paying tuition (which was understandable, given it's due date of tuesday). We fought with yelling for a little bit (first time that's happened in my memory) about something completely stupid because I was so stressed about the tattoo and Fe came out of it's dungeon where I usually keep it. When the dominant function is unable to perform it's regular duties, the inferior function steps in to take it's place. Of course, people aren't usually proficient with that function, so it doesn't typically go well.
    I'm not really saying that it isn't a way we perceive the world, more that we chose a way to look at the world and we don't necessarily understand how we view the world and so the other functions we choose are all relief functions from trying to understand or describe the world in a certain way (i.e. the dominant).

It throws away the fact that in order for a function to be dominant it doesn't have to be used well. Instead it's born out of curiosity.

Does this make a little more sense?

Se's my tert and most definitely it's a relief function. It kicked in during my early twenties and was like nothing else since now it was so much easier to put thought to action. Imagine the difference between a naturally aspirated 4 cyclinder engine and one with a Garrett T28!

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ReflecTcelfeR View Post
    It throws away the fact that in order for a function to be dominant it doesn't have to be used well.
    This has never been a fact.

ReflecTcelfeR

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    This has never been a fact.
    Assumption then.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

*Cue the sound of falling cards*

ReflecTcelfeR

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    *Cue the sound of falling cards*
    Not really. It's in the effort of disillusioning peoples concept of this system. So, instead of flipping the system, I'm flipping the idea of the system.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

its not dominant that creating pressure, its inferior that is creating pressure to dominant

read this post:
    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...=1#post1635587
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read