User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by sciski View Post
    There's a theory that says your function order is more about the way you use the functions, than how much you use them. Eg. Your dominant is the one you use to benefit yourself, your secondary is the one you use to benefit/parent others, your third is for relief, etc..

In other words, the 1st, 2nd, 3rd functions are qualitative descriptions, not quantitative ones. It'd be better to think of them as function A, function B, etc.
    Interesting. what does relief mean?

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

There's a theory that says your function order is more about the way you use the functions, than how much you use them. Eg. Your dominant is the one you use to benefit yourself, your secondary is the one you use to benefit/parent others, your third is for relief, etc..

In other words, the 1st, 2nd, 3rd functions are qualitative descriptions, not quantitative ones. It'd be better to think of them as function A, function B, etc.
    Huh. I like that, that makes a lot more sense to me.
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

MBTI
    NSFW
    Enneagram
    6w7

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    Interesting. what does relief mean?
    I think relief from stress... so an ESxJ might come up with random possibilities under stress (Ne), an IxFJ may get very logical and clinical under stress (Ti). That sort of thing.

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

I think relief from stress... so an ESxJ might come up with random possibilities under stress (Ne), an IxFJ may get very logical and clinical under stress (Ti). That sort of thing.
    Ahh, thanks.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

relief from dom/inferior loop type of thing that causes distress since they conflict. or actually inferior tries to tell you something from unconscious, but ego fights against it since they are opposites and its hard for ego to hold in two opposites that conflict. read my post in previous page
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

As someone pointed out, the function order for your type is an ideal. A tertiary loop can cause the third function in that order to appear stronger than the second. But this might not show up on tests either.

I think the problem is with the cognitive preference tests. Of course the test taker might be the problem. But if there is something wrong with the test itself, then that won't make a difference. It's necessary to consider what the tests are testing for. Does it test for the auxiliary type? Is the auxiliary of your type simply the one you prefer second most to the dominant? Is a tertiary, by definition, simply the function you prefer next after that?

The cognitive function tests oversimplify matters greatly. An auxiliary does not perform the same function as a dominant. Yet every question on a functions test asks about dominant traits, not auxiliaries, not tertiaries, etc. The test result then assumes that your second highest score is your auxiliary function for your type, depending on whether that is an irrational or rational function.

For example, someone scores: Ne, Se, Ti, Fi, in order of preference from highest to lowest (I'll omit the other four functions). The test algorithm then throws out Se because NeSe does not fit any MBTI type, and goes with NeTi (Ne, Se, Ti, Fi). The test then generates ENTP as a someone's result.

When I first took one of those tests I thought it drew a really accurate portrait of function order. Nowadays I see that it is purely oriented on testing for Dominants. And even the result it generates might be bogus because of all the false assumptions these tests are based upon. It assumes that NeTi = ENTP, and this is mistaken. Furthermore, since an auxiliary and tertiary, as pointed out by others in this thread, perform different kinds of functions for the psyche, they literally don't even test for those. The test just bases its result on some huge assumption about preference order.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”