• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

That's right everybody: it's ANOTHER fellow asking if he's ENTP or ENFP!! XD

ChrisC99

MBTI Type
ADHD
Really, when are they going to simply designate an ENXP type as official? It'll reduce the number of personality-confused individuals by SUCH a great extent...but then again, it would also take away a lot of soul-searching fun now, wouldn't it? ;)

Alright, SO: I've been playing around with these delightful MBTI tests lately because...well, as an EN-something-P I find any new area of knowledge fascinating! Until I lose interest of course...ahem, but ANYWAY, while every test from here to kingdom-come seems to say I'm firmly in the extroverted-intuitive-perceiving zone (i.e. the kind of fellow who relishes nothing more than being at the center of a crowd, but may forget where he left his keys as he was showing up there an hour late because he was too preoccupied pondering our place in the eleven-dimensional universe, and all that jazz) - as to whether I'm a thinker or a feeler, I seem to have reached a conundrum. *Sigh*

So maybe all you personality-savvy folks can help me out! The cognitive functions seem to indicate a 'T'; ENTPs are intraverted as opposed to extraverted thinkers, meaning that rather than trying to order the world around them and taking it in systematically they rather take it all in at once, then create 'order out of chaos' within their massive heads, continually revising that conceptual model as they go and basing their actions and views upon it. That's me to the letter (no pun intended). ENFPs are also supposed to be veritable masters at the art of walking into a room and instantly deducing what people are feeling. Not my forte! In fact, I tend to prefer asking people to directly tell me what they're feeling because I'm so poor at picking it up by sensing it...a tendency which seems dripping with ENTP, am I right?

But, herein lies the dilemma: I'm also extremely sensitive, sentimental, and affectionate, my feelings are easily hurt, and I tend to be very clingy with people I care about (or have a crush on, hehe), not let go easily, and have a need to feel liked. My impression was that that's strictly ENFP territory. I also detest and tend to avoid arguments, another distinctly ENFP trait; as much as I relish intellectual discussions, I don't enjoy verbal sparring and correcting people; I just worry too much about hurting feelings, something ENTPs reputedly wouldn't devote quite as much thought to. But then again, as deeply as I care about people, when I try to help them my advice and support is invariably fact and logic-based, rarely citing feelings...and some HAVE seen that as a bit cold. The fact that ENTPs have extraverted feelings and that ENFPs are apparently known for exhibiting a more 'professorial' business side would further seem to complicate matters.

Well, whaddaya think? If all else fails, can you perhaps wager a guess from the nature of my lovely prose?? ;D Thanks everyone! :)

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Sounds more to the ENTP side of things to me. Notice how your feeling side as you described it is actually very raw, can even call it immature if you will, childish even! In the end, you'll fall to logic-based T self.

Sounds like an ENTP with a strong tertiary to me.

In which case, keep doing what you are doing, because any type with good use of their tertiary is a strong type!

rav3n

Look to your F functions of Fe or Fi.

Do you need external harmony where everyone should align, whether you make them align or you align with them (external social gauges)? If so, this is Fe.

Or do you need inner harmony, where you have an internal database of values and the Fi function forces you to live by internal values?

Lily flower

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
I think the easiest way to distinguish F from T is to ask yourself a judging vs. compassion question. The word "Feeler" and "Thinker" is very misleading, because they don't have to do with feeling or thinking. A "Feeler" is most likely to lean towards compassion and a "Thinker" towards consequence.

If you were a boss and had to lay off an employee, would you think about what was best for the buisness, the bottom line dollar, or would you think about the different employees and try to choose the one who would be least likely to be affected by the layoff (like a guy with a second job vs. a guy with 4 kids). If you choose business, you're a T. If you choose to think of the employees, you're an F.

It could also be that you are very close to the T/F line, in which case you will have attributes from both.

Kierva

#KUWK
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Fi/Te or Ti/Fe.

Choose.

Coco

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Most likely ENFP.

You detest arguments because you're too afraid to hurt other people's feelings?
You don't enjoy correcting other people?

Ultimate Anti-ENTPness.

ChrisC99

MBTI Type
ADHD
That's a VERY interesting point, Fluffywolf! So you're saying the manner in which the feeling side is relegated by the thinking nature doesn't necessarily imply a deficit of feelings...but rather, that they are less developed, less mature than the thinking side. Meaning that it may be common for ENTPs to have very strong emotions and affections and genuine care for other people, but that their emotional development may seem almost childlike. That does sound like me...to a T, haha! Love the wolf picture btw :)

Jenaphor and Uwace: you cite an excellent consideration - I should consider not just whether I utilize my thinking function extra- or intravertedly, but the same with my feeling function! Hmm (and yes, you can be our referee here Fluffywolf ;D): I'm NOT good at sensing what other people are feeling; rather, I have a passionate desire for other people to be happy and well, in the EXTERNAL sense - that would seem to imply extraverted rather than intraverted feeling, if I'm interpreting this right! Which would also seem to argue in favor of ENTP.

Then again, LilyFlower: in answer to what you've posited, I would indeed choose what's in the best interest of the most people...in 'utilitarian fashion', you might say. I'd break rules in a heartbeat for the sake of a person's well-being...but then again, that's because I consider it the logical thing to do: established rules are often illogical, where logic by definition entails serving the needs of the most people. In other words, to me the logic/compassion question seems interchangeable, a catch-22: logic is defined by actions that elicit the most compassionate results in the broadest sense, and in the same vein compassion is the logical choice insofar as it doesn't neglect compassion in the larger context; i.e. you wouldn't sympathetically release a murderer, because although it would be compassionate for the individual it would be malevolent to many more people! I never make a decision based on gut feelings though...it's always based on thinking through the cause-and-effect, even when the verdict invariably favors what's in he best interest of the people involved.

While the mindset of ultimately putting peoples' feelings and needs first (well okay, their needs) does seem to suggest ENFP. I hear than ENFPs are famously (or infamously!) long-winded too ;D Yet, the considering outward feelings bit also seems in keeping with the preferentially extraverted rather than intraverted functionality of ENTPs. And rule-bending in favor of the most compassionate/logical choice would also seem to fit nicely with the nonconformist tendencies of both ;) Rule-orientedness is more a characteristic of judging over perceiving types anyhow, isn't it?

I do detest arguments and hurt feelings Coco, I do indeed! (Yet I LOVE a nice fact-finding discussion :D) Wikipedia seems to indicate that ENTPs are 'non-judgmental' though...a result of the P-over-J preference maybe? And ooh, you're an ENTP? Maybe I'll just watch your comments and see how we compare *sits and watches you* On (possibly) a side note, I'm also known for annoying people with my alleged 'boundless enthusiasm'; is that a known trait off either of these?

Thanks again all of you, for this awesome input! This is fun :)

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
That's a VERY interesting point, Fluffywolf! So you're saying the manner in which the feeling side is relegated by the thinking nature doesn't necessarily imply a deficit of feelings...but rather, that they are less developed, less mature than the thinking side. Meaning that it may be common for ENTPs to have very strong emotions and affections and genuine care for other people, but that their emotional development may seem almost childlike. That does sound like me...to a T, haha! Love the wolf picture btw :)

Pretty much! T's are not unemotional creatures, that's a misconception. In fact, we probably have as powerful emotions as the average F types. But our emotions are indeed much more raw and immature in contrast to people who are dominant feelers. But that's fine, because we have other cognative functions to keep those raw emotions from plunging us into piles of emomud.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Really, when are they going to simply designate an ENXP type as official? It'll reduce the number of personality-confused individuals by SUCH a great extent...but then again, it would also take away a lot of soul-searching fun now, wouldn't it? ;)

Alright, SO: I've been playing around with these delightful MBTI tests lately because...well, as an EN-something-P I find any new area of knowledge fascinating! Until I lose interest of course...ahem

Stop right there: ENTP.

ChrisC99

MBTI Type
ADHD
Haha! That sounds ENTP-ish to your taste, does it? Now I thought BOTH of the EN_Ps relished the experience of novel topics to learn...until their obsession switches overnight to boredom XD

Jaguar: "[NF types] tend to trust their intuition and impressions first and then seek to find the logic and the data to support them" - ah, see, that's not me: I hold little regard for my gut feelings, not believing that people can or should 'sense' what's right or accurate. I prefer instead to rely on my analysis of the facts. So I guess that also seems indicative of ENTP-ness. :)

But still, the assertion that ENTPs value rule-of-law over peoples' feelings: is that accurate?? Is it understood that ENTPs can tend toward sensitivity and sentimentality as well, albeit with less 'emotional maturity' than ENFPs? And am I correct in my interpretation that while ENTPs, with that Fe tertiary, can indeed often express great concern over the feelings of others in a group, the Fi of ENFPs entails more that the emotions of others are noted and felt first on an internal level?

Hazashin

Secret Sex Freak
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
In which case, keep doing what you are doing, because any type with good use of their tertiary is a strong type!

Really? Even those with poor aux.?

ChrisC99

MBTI Type
ADHD
Psych majors could have so much fun giving out compliments (or insults! XD) with their knowledge of this subject: "I say sir, what a healthy use of your tertiary you have!"

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Any respectable psych major would refrain from using cognative function remarks outside of the realm of theory. Leave that to us amateurs. :D

ChrisC99

MBTI Type
ADHD
Too true, too true! But we amateurs are set at no risk of having a giant textbook hurled at us XD (Really, have you seen the SIZE of those psych textbooks??)

ChrisC99

MBTI Type
ADHD
Oh, now is it true that ENTPs tend to internalize their emotions and be less expressive and more reluctant to share their inner feelings than ENFPs? Or is that another common misconception? Because if that's a tie breaker, I certainly have no problem with open expression and having the world know my deepest feelings/thoughts/secrets...but then again, I suppose that could just be the extroversion bit.

Chiharu

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Most likely ENFP.

You detest arguments because you're too afraid to hurt other people's feelings?
You don't enjoy correcting other people?

Ultimate Anti-ENTPness.

I'm an ENFP and I rather like correcting people =)

Coco

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
I'm an ENFP and I rather like correcting people =)

So...?

Not enjoying correcting people is not very ENTP.
Does this means it can't be ENFP? Absolutely not.