User Tag List

First 34567 Last

MBTI
    ADHD

OH - also! If it is a known characterization that ENFPs possess that 'mental switch' that enables them to move between being silly and bursting with enthusiasm one moment, and serious and professional the next...do ENFPs in their serious mode essentially resemble ENTPs?

If so, it would seem ENFPs could easily be mistaken for ENTPs at times...while the reverse would be less true (i.e. an ENTP exuding ENFP-like sentimentality would be a more uncharacteristic sight).

Do you occassionally (and sometimes annoyingly) play career counselor and have decent people skills? ENFP. Or do people basically facepalm around you, and are you oblivious to the epic level of oddness that you have attained? ENTP.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisC99 View Post
    OH - also! If it is a known characterization that ENFPs possess that 'mental switch' that enables them to move between being silly and bursting with enthusiasm one moment, and serious and professional the next...do ENFPs in their serious mode essentially resemble ENTPs?

If so, it would seem ENFPs could easily be mistaken for ENTPs at times...while the reverse would be less true (i.e. an ENTP exuding ENFP-like sentimentality would be a more uncharacteristic sight).
    Hmm... I've been told I resemble ENTP's IRL, but normally that's when we're both in a relaxed, social setting. (Perhaps using a lot of Ne.) I think there is a distinct difference between the ENFP who is using Te (like in a work setting) - or even if not- I notice they are more on the humanistic, democratic end of things- can have visions and good suggestions but are largely focused on relationships. (Suspected) ENTP's are more about the changes themselves as far as I've seen.
    I think ENFP's are skilled at "playing a role" if they have to, so can resemble a lot of types like a chameleon. ENTP may be more solid in their actions and decisions.

(This is just my own thought on it.)

^Oh, and I totally do that career counseling thing all the time like KDude said- non professional workers at my job often get bombarded with questions about what they are doing next and (probably unwanted, but gentle) advice about where they could go and what they could do. I annoy myself with it, but I'm usually genuinely curious about smart young non-professionals hopes and dreams.
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

NTP's have that too. It's from the Ne plus the Thinking. Which also is connected to the "informing" and"structure focused" communication in the Interaction Styles and temperament models. The "informing" part also tends to make one like people and want to avoid conflict despite the T/F preference.
    In fact, NTP's are what I consider "enigmatic Types" (http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...tic-types.html) because of that mix of people and task focus, while NFP's are more solidly people-focused (informing + motive).

So ENTP and ENFP are both not only same dominant function (and thus, considered by Jung to actually be the same type!), but also the same Interaction Style: Get Things Going, which is extraverted and informing. So you definitely fit that part.

The thing that counts most is "making decisions based on logic". The preference is based on what we prefer, moreso than all these behavioral descriptions. And when you do probe into people, your advice being more logical and less Feeling. The expressiveness would probably be more from the NeFe (and your descriptions of the "feeling you do show sound more extraverted), and the rational content you are giving them is shaped by an internal logic.
    Your analyzing the whole thing also seems more T[i]. You overall sound more like ENTP's I know here because of that. Tertiary Fe might provide the sentimentality people describe. It doesn't seem like an ENFP's tertiary Te, which I imagine would not be as focused. It also wouldn't be the most preferred decision making function. When we speak of the tertiary being "strong", it's generally a "relief" function, or to back up the dominant function by maintaining its dominant orientation; it doesn't replace the [primary] auxiliary.

Feeling in the nonpreferred position is very vulnerable. So your feelings can be easily hurt. Most Thinkers try to hide and disown this, of course. Leading to the typical descriptions of them being so "detached" and "unemotional". Inferior Feeling (such as an ITP) will be even further suppressed. Tertiary Feeling might be more visible as well, and more conscious.
    I'm also thinking now, that while F's are more known for "getting their feelings hurt" more; I believe they tend to be more accepting of this (since Feeling is the more accepted function for them), while for Thinkers, when it does come to consciousness as being "hurt"; it is more negative, and they likely make more of an issue out of it (And thus will make the point to mention it as a possible indicator of F; and thus further throw them off. I went through this, and it made me seem to possibly be a Feeler. But the real key is that it is so negative; you don't want the feelings or emotions, and wish it would all go away.

It seems real ENFP's often wonder whether they are ESFP's (a few who really seemed solid have recently switched over to that type or ISFP). Even though it was commonly believed that people with T/F uncertainly are likely on the F side; it seems to be really be more the other way around, due to misconceptions about the T/F preference.
    Also, in another personality system I often discuss, there's a third area of interaction similar to Interaction Styles, but dealing with deeper personal relations and affection. So that might make you more like that than others.
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

MBTI
    ADHD

Everyone wants me to be THEIR function!! I feel so...wanted and loved ;D (Personality type: magnetic! Or vain XD)

Thanks so much KDude, ShortnSweet and Eric B! Haha, I definitely play counselor to the point that people can become irritated if they didn't ask for the advice! But then, my antics also bring about more than the occasional facepalm...so can I answer 'all of the above'?? XD

That's exactly why the T/F dichotomy is particularly confusing to me: to me, the logical decision is always the one that makes the most PEOPLE happy in the end...and conversely, doing what's right and most helpful for others is the most logical choice in a group dynamic. So I find it difficult to separate a preference for one from the other!

Also, they often claim intraverted thinking will make one go by rules or conventions before feelings. But what if the prevailing norms don't seem logical to the ENTP - do many ENTPs also eschew convention?

So, the cognitive functions are where the gravy really lies in the roast, right? I suppose cognitive function theory could be envisioned in the context of 'steps' one makes in interacting with themself and their world: an ENTP for example will first make intuitions and ideas based on active interaction with their surroundings; second, process these through an internal 'logic filter' to make their decisions (does this sound logical?); and third, consult their tertiary as a 'backup' to consider how their actions will impact everyone's feelings around them.

An ENFP, meanwhile, would go through the same first step, but then process these through an internal 'feeling filter' to make their decisions (does this feel right?); and consult their tertiary to consider whether their actions are logical in the impact they will have outwardly.

Does this sound about right? (Why IS the secondary always internal, and the tertiary always external in extroverts in this model anyway? I mean, isn't it theoretically possible for someone's next thought after extraverted intuiting to be extraverted feeling or thinking? Or is the central concept based on the idea that an extrovert's next actions MUST follow some internal evaluations?? And couldn't it also be theoretically possible for a person to switch between the two based on mood or situation???

I am almost universally accused of the things that ENFPs seem to be known for, behaviors that would seem unusual for an ENTP: absolutely gushing sentiment, annoying people with over-the-top enthusiasm and sticking my nose in 'counseling' them (whether they ask for it or not!); crying over any sweet movie, and missing sleep over it for MONTHS if I so much as think a friend doesn't like me or that I hurt somebody. I don't relate to people who seem even remotely 'coldhearted', don't let go of emotional hurt or attachment easily, and I share my innermost feelings very readily. Does this suggest Fi, or Fe?

...Now on the other side of the psychological coin, I ALSO approach everything from the analytical standpoint, and all of my 'big' choices in life (i.e. the ones that aren't just for fun) are based on an internal framework, a long-term plan. To me logic is the greatest instrument for determining actions that will ultimately help people in the long run, and sometimes I can be detached and even seem a little cold giving fact-based advice when somebody's in emotional pain (although this is partly because their pain can hurt me so much that keeping detached makes me more helpful!). I work in medical science, which demands a great deal of putting emotion aside
    (but then again, unlike many people who seem to only get into the field out of fascination, my main reason for getting into it WAS to help people like disabled friends I'd once had as well). Does this seem more suggestive of Ti, or Te?

I guess when people seem on the fence between these two, the problem is a strong tertiary which can resemble the secondary! So I guess in order to resolve whether I'm an ENTP for whom everything IS inwardly thinking-based but who juggles that with very high extraverted feeling - or an ENFP for whom everything is inwardly feeling-based but who balances those tendencies with very high extraverted thinking, what really has to be determined is which is truly first or internally-based, and which follows secondly as 'backup' relating to the external world!

MBTI
    ¥¤
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so

I think you sound like an ENFJ who can scrape up Ti. ENFJs have that "mother hen" thing going on, and they're very inquisitive, caring, and very big on having things thought-out and planned.

You seem to use F in an outward sense and in relation to people, which is 100% Fe. But I think it seems to almost lead you. Your posts are EFFERVESCENT with emotions, for one thing. And Ni-Se paired right next to each other can often seem like Ne, for extroverts. (It doesn't seem to work the same way with ISxPs for some reason, probably because they're more contained in general, and Ne is a very RRRAAAAA!!! function.
    3w4-9w1-?w6 (nearly headless nick)
    sp/so
    Lawful Evil

COCKBURN:

http://sundrytimes.files.wordpress.c...tomic-bomb.jpg

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Eric B View Post

I'm also thinking now, that while F's are more known for "getting their feelings hurt" more; I believe they tend to be more accepting of this (since Feeling is the more accepted function for them), while for Thinkers, when it does come to consciousness as being "hurt"; it is more negative, and they likely make more of an issue out of it (And thus will make the point to mention it as a possible indicator of F; and thus further throw them off. I went through this, and it made me seem to possibly be a Feeler. But the real key is that it is so negative; you don't want the feelings or emotions, and wish it would all go away.
    This is so true of me, it's not even funny. Periodically, I go through phases where I seriously doubt my type because I am sensitive and prone to have my feelings hurt. Yet, I'm not so 'accepting' of the hurt feelings as you describe. Occassionally, I'll be hurt and get worked up over seemingly nothing and I replay in my mind over and over how its not logical for me to overreact and how it matters so little in the whole large scheme of things and I hate myself for losing control emotionally. I'm guessing an F type would also feel hurt, yet be more likely to be of the mindset of, yes I felt hurt, such is life, it makes me human, and not have to over-analyze the situation?
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

Yes, apparently. that last statement sounds like something my wife would say. She gets all emotional, it frazzles me, and she says something to the effect of "I'm not {yelling, screaming, arguing, fighting, upset, terribly angry, etc}; it's just my emotions".

We basically project how we would have to be feeling if we were reacting that way, at the other person, so then it is very negative to us. To them, it's basically "nothing".

(WHOAH; just noticed that you have ESFP up now! Is that a joke? I thought this whole point here would help confirm/affirm you as a Thinker, and you seemed to be acknowledging that).
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sp
    Socionics
    ILE

That's exactly why the T/F dichotomy is particularly confusing to me: to me, the logical decision is always the one that makes the most PEOPLE happy in the end...and conversely, doing what's right and most helpful for others is the most logical choice in a group dynamic. So I find it difficult to separate a preference for one from the other!
    Yeah, going about it that way is a whole gigantic loop of confusion. Instead, the question of F and T is more about which world you prefer to operate: the humanistic world of human compexities, or more of the complexities and puzzles that try to strip away the whole human complexity element?

Like, I'm not too great at the whole counseling thing, because the sharing of the intense personal problems triggers primarily the response of "aaaaah get it away, find solutions for it now!" instead of being able to launch easily into a sort of feel-good inspirational montage like I have noticed from a lot of NFPs. I try to not launch immediately into the problem solving to not look like such an ice queen and instead whip together my genuine empathy into cute and cuddly comforting first.... but with this in itself it's easy to see that it's childlike extraverted feeling, and in the background I'm dealing with it in a more 'thinking' way. I would make such a horrible but interesting professional counselor that it would make good reality tv

Also, they often claim intraverted thinking will make one go by rules or conventions before feelings. But what if the prevailing norms don't seem logical to the ENTP - do many ENTPs also eschew convention?
    Yes introverted thinking is the opposite of going by rules and conventions, it's all about figuring out what works by one's own judgement (in the technical flavor).It's sort of like going by 'rules' sometimes but they are rules that your internal judement has processed and given the OK stamp. Paired with the ultimate rebel function Ne and we're just as unconventional as our Fi cousins.

(Why IS the secondary always internal, and the tertiary always external in extroverts in this model anyway? I mean, isn't it theoretically possible for someone's next thought after extraverted intuiting to be extraverted feeling or thinking?
    Basically, if both the secondary and primary functions are extraverted (or introverted), it creates an imbalanced person because then they are nearly entirely floating through the wind of external influence (or nearly unaffected by the external world). This link touches on how this would look in terms of disorders http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...disorders.html

I am almost universally accused of the things that ENFPs seem to be known for, behaviors that would seem unusual for an ENTP: absolutely gushing sentiment, annoying people with over-the-top enthusiasm and sticking my nose in 'counseling' them (whether they ask for it or not!); crying over any sweet movie, and missing sleep over it for MONTHS if I so much as think a friend doesn't like me or that I hurt somebody. I don't relate to people who seem even remotely 'coldhearted', don't let go of emotional hurt or attachment easily, and I share my innermost feelings very readily. Does this suggest Fi, or Fe?
    This all reads ENFP to me.

...Now on the other side of the psychological coin, I ALSO approach everything from the analytical standpoint, and all of my 'big' choices in life (i.e. the ones that aren't just for fun) are based on an internal framework, a long-term plan. To me logic is the greatest instrument for determining actions that will ultimately help people in the long run, and sometimes I can be detached and even seem a little cold giving fact-based advice when somebody's in emotional pain (although this is partly because their pain can hurt me so much that keeping detached makes me more helpful!). I work in medical science, which demands a great deal of putting emotion aside
    These sorts of things aren't necessarily Ti and could be Te.

Quote Originally Posted by mrcockburn View Post
    You seem to use F in an outward sense and in relation to people, which is 100% Fe. But I think it seems to almost lead you. Your posts are EFFERVESCENT with emotions, for one thing.
    Extraverted Fi-users can also be very outward with feeling. Effervescence is pretty much a trademark for ENFPs

And Ni-Se paired right next to each other can often seem like Ne, for extroverts. (It doesn't seem to work the same way with ISxPs for some reason, probably because they're more contained in general, and Ne is a very RRRAAAAA!!! function.
    RAAAAAAAAAAA? Only in certain moments ENPs can be ridiculously ambiverted most of the time. I think you're talking about Se

A window to the soul

@ChrisC99: You sure use a lot of [fluffy] words to make a simple point. I vote ENFP for you.