User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    ADHD

My PROFOUNDEST apologies for the very protracted delay in responding!! I was off getting involved in and dropping assorted new interests...y'know, NP stuff ;D

PIZZAAAAAAA!!! I'm not too late am I? I want a slice of that personality-pie XD

When I read descriptions of ENFPs the personality qualms certainly sound remarkably on-target for me: the enthusiasm that wears people out, the habit of giving out unsolicited advice on peoples' personal matters, publicizing their deepest personal feelings rather than keeping them in, etc...

HOWEVER, on another forum (I always crosspost questions in multiple places to get as many assorted opinions as possible - that, and I love the multitasking XD), the allegory was made that Ti/Fe types (like ENTPs) have a characteristic habit of going from person to person in social settings to take in as much information as possible, then moving on almost like taking water from wells until they run dry. That's actually a startlingly apt description of my methodology in interaction. Fi/Te's like ENFPs, meanwhile, supposedly do the opposite, going from person to person as a source of EMOTIONAL support and self-affirmation to nurture their Fi.

On reading into the matter, it seems that many attest to a dichotomy existing between two subtypes for each of the MBTI personalities, depending on whether the extraverted or intraverted functions tend to dominate. For example, ENTPs are alleged to comprise 'logical' and 'intuitive' subtypes - the former displaying a predominance of the intraverted thinking and sensing, which makes them seek to act and be seen as serious individuals, place more attention on facts with less interest in feelings involved, etc.; while the latter are supposedly the more 'dreamy, sentimental' Ne- and Fe-dominated ENTPs - outgoing nerd-poets, if you will XD And these are supposedly the ones who relish intellectual discussions - but to whom conflicts are anathema; who are known for being less grounded and practical, sillier and more whimsical in their ideas...and smiling at people even when they haven't a reason to. That sounds like me to the letter - even the alleged clumsy gait and shy-seeming presence!

If the subtypes bit rings true, could it be that Ne-subtype ENTPs ACT for all external purposes rather more like ENFPs, and are only known to be ENTP based on the Fe/Ti trade-off?

...Well I feel so bad talking on and on about me, me, me here! Does identification with only a select subtype of your personality seem to ring true for anyone else watching this thread??

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisC99 View Post
    HOWEVER, on another forum (I always crosspost questions in multiple places to get as many assorted opinions as possible - that, and I love the multitasking XD), the allegory was made that Ti/Fe types (like ENTPs) have a characteristic habit of going from person to person in social settings to take in as much information as possible, then moving on almost like taking water from wells until they run dry. That's actually a startlingly apt description of my methodology in interaction. Fi/Te's like ENFPs, meanwhile, supposedly do the opposite, going from person to person as a source of EMOTIONAL support and self-affirmation to nurture their Fi.

On reading into the matter, it seems that many attest to a dichotomy existing between two subtypes for each of the MBTI personalities, depending on whether the extraverted or intraverted functions tend to dominate. For example, ENTPs are alleged to comprise 'logical' and 'intuitive' subtypes - the former displaying a predominance of the intraverted thinking and sensing, which makes them seek to act and be seen as serious individuals, place more attention on facts with less interest in feelings involved, etc.; while the latter are supposedly the more 'dreamy, sentimental' Ne- and Fe-dominated ENTPs - outgoing nerd-poets, if you will XD And these are supposedly the ones who relish intellectual discussions - but to whom conflicts are anathema; who are known for being less grounded and practical, sillier and more whimsical in their ideas...and smiling at people even when they haven't a reason to. That sounds like me to the letter - even the alleged clumsy gait and shy-seeming presence!
    I've never heard of this subtype theory! Where did you find the info?

I can say that as a confirmed ENTP I identify with a lot of what you say. I do socialize to gather information and be stimulated, not really to connect emotionally. However I can also be very sensitive and I am extremely aware of the impression I make on people. To me, though, this is more a way to cement my place in a social group, rather than to gain some kind of fundamental affirmation.
    ENTP, professional MBTI coach, and author of a new series of personality type e-books available on Amazon.com.

MBTI
    ADHD

Hi everyone! Sorreeeeee for the delay - I've been off being an easily-distracted workaholic, haha!

Okay, so after having tried the ENTP mantle on for size of late, I'm beginning to think your original ENFP designation may have been more spot-on-target after all! See, from perusing (don't you love that word, perusing? XD) the literature on the topic, it seems that even ENTP's with the most developed tertiary functions just don't seem to be known for gushy sentiment! Whereas people actually tell me that I lavish feeling and affection to the point of almost OOZING sentimentality!

Furthermore, the other things I hear people tell me about myself: so much enthusiasm it drives them up the wall; an almost dreamy, idealistic optimism and trust in people being good at heart verging on naivete; a preoccupation with avoiding (and difficulty moving past) hurt feelings, with a need to feel liked; finding debates anathema, and avoiding strongly worded exchanges even when I have strong beliefs about something, favoring gentle diplomacy instead; and a habit of putting my nose in people's business just a liiiiiitle too much, with the intention of helping out based on what I've read of them. this all seems hardly the stuff of ENTPs, who seem to invariably have a knack for remaining detached from and moving past such mushy stuff! I could NEVER let a loved one go at the drop of a hat, for example; by contrast I have trouble letting go of emotional attachments.

...Also, it's been implied I may be a TAD on the long-winded side - not that anyone HERE would think that of course! Wheras ENTPs are supposedly known for being more to the point. Why am I not to the point? After asking myself that, I came to the conclusion: it's because short directness seems too cold and unfeeling to me. And I DO love lavishing compliments too When

The main reason I thought I could hardly be an ENFP was because I make decisions based on logic rather than gut feelings about things, and because I DO tend to talk to people in the context of fascination with what I can learn about them - becoming bored if they don't stimulate me intellectually. But, to an ENFP their decisions probably seem grounded in logic too - because they're made in the context of their deeply-help values, i.e. extraverted intuition. And that logic IS always based on what I feel elicits the most positive outcome for people in the end as well. The ENFP's perceiving over judging might also account for boredom when interaction no longer seems to provide enough novelty. But at the same time, in my interactions I've realized that I AM constantly considering how I'm perceived as well, which would be seeking gratification of my intraverted feeling through external interactions in a sense.

What really seems to have hit the nail on the head for me though, is the fact that while few ENTPs would seem to match the above criteria which I express, I've read that ENFPs ARE known for having what's called a 'silly switch' - enabling them to transition between seemingly dual personalities of serious and professional on the one hand, zany and goofballish on the other. It was intriguing to read this description for this personality type alone, as people have actually used the same 'silly switch' metaphor to describe my own dispositon!

It almost seems as though ENFPs can appear to act like ENTPs at times, while the reverse is less true. Is that anyone else's impression?

Has anyone known of any other ENFPs in the sciences? They seem to be thought of as more the artistic or humanities types...

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Hi everyone! Sorreeeeee for the delay - I've been off being an easily-distracted workaholic, haha!

Okay, so after having tried the ENTP mantle on for size of late, I'm beginning to think your original ENFP designation may have been more spot-on-target after all! See, from perusing (don't you love that word, perusing? XD) the literature on the topic, it seems that even ENTP's with the most developed tertiary functions just don't seem to be known for gushy sentiment! Whereas people actually tell me that I lavish feeling and affection to the point of almost OOZING sentimentality!

Furthermore, the other things I hear people tell me about myself: so much enthusiasm it drives them up the wall; an almost dreamy, idealistic optimism and trust in people being good at heart verging on naivete; a preoccupation with avoiding (and difficulty moving past) hurt feelings, with a need to feel liked; finding debates anathema, and avoiding strongly worded exchanges even when I have strong beliefs about something, favoring gentle diplomacy instead; and a habit of putting my nose in people's business just a liiiiiitle too much, with the intention of helping out based on what I've read of them. this all seems hardly the stuff of ENTPs, who seem to invariably have a knack for remaining detached from and moving past such mushy stuff! I could NEVER let a loved one go at the drop of a hat, for example; by contrast I have trouble letting go of emotional attachments.

...Also, it's been implied I may be a TAD on the long-winded side - not that anyone HERE would think that of course! Wheras ENTPs are supposedly known for being more to the point. Why am I not to the point? After asking myself that, I came to the conclusion: it's because short directness seems too cold and unfeeling to me. And I DO love lavishing compliments too When

The main reason I thought I could hardly be an ENFP was because I make decisions based on logic rather than gut feelings about things, and because I DO tend to talk to people in the context of fascination with what I can learn about them - becoming bored if they don't stimulate me intellectually. But, to an ENFP their decisions probably seem grounded in logic too - because they're made in the context of their deeply-help values, i.e. extraverted intuition. And that logic IS always based on what I feel elicits the most positive outcome for people in the end as well. The ENFP's perceiving over judging might also account for boredom when interaction no longer seems to provide enough novelty. But at the same time, in my interactions I've realized that I AM constantly considering how I'm perceived as well, which would be seeking gratification of my intraverted feeling through external interactions in a sense.

What really seems to have hit the nail on the head for me though, is the fact that while few ENTPs would seem to match the above criteria which I express, I've read that ENFPs ARE known for having what's called a 'silly switch' - enabling them to transition between seemingly dual personalities of serious and professional on the one hand, zany and goofballish on the other. It was intriguing to read this description for this personality type alone, as people have actually used the same 'silly switch' metaphor to describe my own dispositon!

It almost seems as though ENFPs can appear to act like ENTPs at times, while the reverse is less true. Is that anyone else's impression?

Has anyone known of any other ENFPs in the sciences? They seem to be thought of as more the artistic or humanities types...
    I'll respond after the Excedrin kicks in.
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

MBTI
    ADHD

HAAA! Try vicodin, it's more enjoyable. Or how about psylocibin? XD

MBTI
    ADHD

(Oh my gosh, I LOVE your wolf icon btw!! <3)

Anew Leaf

(Oh my gosh, I LOVE your wolf icon btw!! <3)
    Congrats. You're an ENFP

MBTI
    ADHD

*Rolls over laughing* Whaaaaaat, can't ENTPs love wolves too?

...Not that ANYONE couldn't love rabbits of course ;D (It's interesting btw, I have a very good friend who I'm CONVINCED is an INFP, and she's also very much a fan of the long-eared critters!)

Anew Leaf

*Rolls over laughing* Whaaaaaat, can't ENTPs love wolves too?

...Not that ANYONE couldn't love rabbits of course ;D (It's interesting btw, I have a very good friend who I'm CONVINCED is an INFP, and she's also very much a fan of the long-eared critters!)
    ENTP enthusiasm is different than ENFP enthusiasm. I read yours as ENFP.

ENTP enthusiasm usually looks like a bat shit crazy man jumping out of a plane without a parachute... Because... Why wouldnt it work?

MBTI
    ADHD

...Well, WHY wouldn't it work? It's only air between the plane and the ground, air never hurt anybody! Besides, riding gravitational anomalies can be great fun... (That reminds me of an episode of house in which the famously-ENTP eponymous character jumps out of a hotel window into a swimming pool XD)

So, what's an ENFP's enthusiasm like?