• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Thinking/Feeling game: Same Difference

rivercrow

shoshaku jushaku
MBTI Type
type
This is a game to show how Thinking and Feeling can arrive at the same decisions, although how the decision is made can be very different. If you are not sure if you prefer Thinking or Feeling, you may find value in observing people with different judging preferences walk through their reasoning.

The problem/decision sets are limited to increase the chance that you will see both a Thinking and a Feeling response.

Participants:
  • Active Players (people who are sure of your judging preference and are comfortable sharing)
  • The Chorus (people who are unsure of your judging preference or who would simply prefer not to be an active player)
The game:
  • Choose one of the problem/decision sets below.
  • Show how you use your preferred judging process to reach the described decision.
Rules for Active Players:
In your post:
  • Identify which problem/decision set you chose.
  • Identify your Type, if it's not included in your profile.
  • Show the decision-making process using your judging function. This could be the inner dialog you use to arrive at a decision.
  • Keep the decision-making descriptions brief but clear, so the reasoning can be easily seen.
Rules for the Chorus:
Please let a few active players post before joining the discussion. After that, you’re welcome to comment and ask questions.

Problem/Decision Sets (choose one set only):
  1. The Exam: You don't feel like you studied enough for your final exam. You must pass, or you have to retake the class. You're in your desk in class and you see a classmate's notebook open on the floor.
    You decide not to cheat.​
  2. The Project: You're a team lead on a very visible project at work. One of your team members has started turning in work late, which is causing delays. This team member is caring for his elderly parent who has become ill. This team member is the expert in his area, but he has an inexperienced assistant who has offered to fill in. Your boss keeps asking for updates.
    You decide to replace the expert with the assistant.​
  3. The Car: You need to buy a new car. You can afford either a conventional gas car that gets 28 mpg or diesel car that gets 50 mpg but will create three times the amount of air pollution. Both cars are the same otherwise (same size, age, wear, cost, etc).
    You decide to purchase the conventional gas car.​
  4. Laid-off: You've been laid-off due to a merger. You are not sure when you will find another job as you live in an economically-depressed area. While you are running errands, some obviously poor kids ask you for $20.
    You decide to give the money to them.​

bluebell

MBTI Type
INTP
Cool idea rivercrow. My main struggle with this is that I probably would have made a different decision for 2, 3 and 4. Decided to choose 2 because it's an easier thought experiment.

2. The Project: You're a team lead on a very visible project at work. One of your team members has started turning in work late, which is causing delays. This team member is caring for his elderly parent who has become ill. This team member is the expert in his area, but he has an inexperienced assistant who has offered to fill in. Your boss keeps asking for updates.

You decide to replace the expert with the assistant.

I'll write this in the present tense. My first reaction is that I am annoyed and frustrated that my project was running late, even though I know why the expert is running behind. But then I tell myself to get over it, work something out.

Nobody should be indispensible, anyone can come down with a bad flu at any time, my team should be, and is, flexible. I talk to the expert and ask how his parent is and if he needs time off or a reduced workload while his personal crisis was happening. I tell him that it's ok to put his family first, we can make do until he is able to come back.

I think about the options and decide that it is better to replace the expert with his inexperienced assistant - much easier and less effort than trying to train up someone new to the project. Distracted workers can actually have a negative effect on productivity - correcting mistakes chews up valuable time. And I decide it would be good experience for the assistant. I am a bit aprehensive that the assistant will not be able to do a good job but assume that I and the rest of the team will be able to wing it and pull it together at the last minute.

(As it says in my profile, I'm a T)

Last edited:

rivercrow

shoshaku jushaku
MBTI Type
type
The Project.
I would prefer to have the expert working directly on the project. He's distracted and his productivity is down. The whole team is suffering and the company is watching us closely. His assistant doesn't have the expertise, but the assistant is available in the current time frame. I will explain to the expert that I need to turn in timely reports and show progress so he will understand the decision is based on keeping the project moving. The assistant reports to the expert, so the expert's knowledge will still be available to us. At the same time, the assistant will become a more valuable asset to the company by becoming very familiar with the project. In the long run, the company will benefit by having more than one person comfortable with the expert's area.

Maverick

MBTI Type
ENTJ
This is an excellent idea!

The Exam: You don't feel like you studied enough for your final exam. You must pass, or you have to retake the class. You're in your desk in class and you see a classmate's notebook open on the floor.

I don't cheat because:

If I didn't study, I deserve to have bad grades. It's my responsibility to ensure that I study. Cheating is the easy and weak option. If everyone cheated whenever they didn't study, then grades would not be a measure of people's competence anymore. There would be disastrous consequences to this. People could get diplomas they don't deserve. So called expertise would become relative.

But, what will my little action change to this, you will think? The ocean is made of little drops of water... You have to behave in a such a way that what you do can become a universal law. Having intregrity means living up to your principles. If I think that an efficient society must function with good measures of people's competence, then it is my personal responsibility to live up to that principle and contribute to this ideal.

Langrenus

[*]The Exam: You don't feel like you studied enough for your final exam. You must pass, or you have to retake the class. You're in your desk in class and you see a classmate's notebook open on the floor.

I'm going to translate "don't feel like" into "know you haven't" - I always knew when I'd done enough (or hadn't) :)

I see the classmate's notebook...

[1] I know what I know, and I know what I don't know
[2] People choose numerous different ways to revise. My notes are perfect for me but useless for most other people. And vice versa.
[3] The odds of me finding the topics I don't know, in a form I can quickly process, in someone else's notes, and then making sense of that information so that I can memorise it is pretty slim (I'm assuming the test is pretty close at hand).
[4] It would, in fact, make more sense just to spend the time I would otherwise be wasting looking at their notebook on focusing inward. I've been to all of the classes, I have a good memory, and all of the information I need is locked away somewhere. I'll trust myself to find it when the pressure is on, and this is more likely to happen if I'm calm. It won't happen if I hurriedly try to cram.

[5] I will then leave the exam knowing that the grade I receive is reflective of the effort I've put in to the subject, and will not be kept awake at night wondering just how much of my mark I deserved and just how much was down to cheating. If I get a good grade despite the lack of revision, I can give myself a generous pat on the pack. If I don't it was probably a stupid subject anyway :)

Park

MBTI Type
INTP
Great idea.

The Project: You're a team lead on a very visible project at work. One of your team members has started turning in work late, which is causing delays. This team member is caring for his elderly parent who has become ill. This team member is the expert in his area, but he has an inexperienced assistant who has offered to fill in. Your boss keeps asking for updates.

Priorities:
1. I want what's best for the company.
Whether a leaders likes it or not, the private life of an employee can not be seperated from his/her workplace. Since my employee is a field expert (and therefore a presumably great asset for the company in generel), I'd rather give that person space to deal with things in the person's privatelife than creating further damage (stress, break down etc.) by creating a situation where the person is pushed to the limit both at work and at home.

IRL, the husband of one of my key employees is very sick with an incureable cancer at the moment. To being with, I've given her 37 free hours which she can use as she please and as things proceed, I will consider to give her more. *This is not a decision based on sympathy*. The employee is a great asset to my company and in the long run, I will benefit a lot more from an employee who is tempoarily absent then an employee who ends up with a long term break down. It is also a ways of telling an employee that he/she is valuable to the company, an encouragement which often leads to larger self-confidence and as such, to a better work performance.

2. I want what's best for my team.
When an employee isn't mentally present at work due to a homelife crisis, the persons performance isn't optimal which means that the person *expert status* drops. My choise between an employee with expert knowledge, who's in the middle of a crisis, and an inexperienced assistant (who could develop to become a greater asset with time and perhaps is hungry to prove his/her worth) would fall on the assistant.

3. I want what's best for me.
If things are best for my company, best for the team which I'm leading - chances are they'll be best for me both in the short and in the long run.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
# The Exam: You don't feel like you studied enough for your final exam. You must pass, or you have to retake the class. You're in your desk in class and you see a classmate's notebook open on the floor.

You decide not to cheat.
1.) Cheating is wrong (a combination of both lying and stealing)
2.) If I cheat, I will feel guilty about it for years to come. (Like that time when that tutor showed me the questions on that algebra test. I've always felt like I didn't deserve the B I got in that class.)
3.) I'm probably going to do okay on the test even though I didn't study. I'm good at taking tests.
4.) It's my own fault I didn't study, so I deserve whatever grade I get.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[*]The Exam: You don't feel like you studied enough for your final exam. You must pass, or you have to retake the class. You're in your desk in class and you see a classmate's notebook open on the floor.
1. The other student's notebook isn't mine. It doesn't represent what I know.
2. There is also no guarantee their answers are any more correct than mine.
3. If I fail the test and have to retake the class, it will be because I 'need' to, because I didn't learn what was required, and there may be an important reasons for me to learn this particular content.
4. I also have too much pride to be given credit for anything I haven't done myself. I have no desire to pass a class unless 'I' pass the class.
5. Retaking one class is not as high a price as having to remember my entire life that I copped out in a dishonest attempt to make myself look better than I am.
Edit: Also, cheating is like admitting that I'm not capable of understanding the class. After having a sketchy outline of it the first time around, chances are I would do quite well the second time. Then the reality of the situation would be that I am fully capable, it just took me longer.

[*]The Project: You're a team lead on a very visible project at work. One of your team members has started turning in work late, which is causing delays. This team member is caring for his elderly parent who has become ill. This team member is the expert in his area, but he has an inexperienced assistant who has offered to fill in. Your boss keeps asking for updates.
1. The expert is not able to fulfill the task for whatever reason.
2. I wouldn't fire the person because long term they will continue to provide their expertise, but in the short term that expertise is compromised by personal problems. (Depending on specifics, I may attempt to help alleviate their personal problem by researching available services to assist them)
3. I don't see another option for the short-term.

[*]The Car: You need to buy a new car. You can afford either a conventional gas car that gets 28 mpg or diesel car that gets 50 mpg but will create three times the amount of air pollution. Both cars are the same otherwise (same size, age, wear, cost, etc).
You decide to purchase the conventional gas car.​
1. This decision has long-term consequences for both myself and the environment, so those effects should be taken into consideration.
2. There is no compelling reason to contribute to pollution whatsoever, and I have no special desire to pollute the world, so that is reason enough to go with the conventional gas car.
3. Diesel cars cost more to repair, are harder to find parts for, and the gas is more expensive.
4. There is simply no compelling benefit for the diesal car for myself or the environment.

[*]Laid-off: You've been laid-off due to a merger. You are not sure when you will find another job as you live in an economically-depressed area. While you are running errands, some obviously poor kids ask you for $20.
You decide to give the money to them.​

1. The kids' family will likely experience something similar.
2. I feel more capable to deal with it, while the children are merely victims.
3. I would feel sorry for the kids, but helping them would give me hope for them and me.
4. The act is worth more than $20 for the boost of hope it provides.

raincrow007

MBTI Type
INTP
Type: INTP

Scenario: Exam/Cheating.

Having been in a large course where cheating was rampant, this is an easy one for me to explain.

Thought process:
1. Hey, there's an open notebook -- are THEY cheating? bastards, I bet they are...

2. Is anyone else possibly cheating? I bet so. *surveys the room for more cheat sheets or "accidentally" left open notebooks.*

3. I do not know if cheating is really going on, but I feel compelled to take action to cover the possible skewing of grades, which is statistically unfair, making my grade [good or bad] completely worthless as an indicator of my knowledge on the subject.

4. I decide not to cheat to have a socially acceptable "moral high ground" of sorts when approaching the prof after the exam to mention the cheating that might've been going on. If the prof doesn't adjust the grades or the exams accordingly, [some exams I'd encountered hadn't been rewritten in ages; 17 people around me in my class all had the same answer key to cheat from], I cheat my ass off next time -- just like everyone else.

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
The Exam: You don't feel like you studied enough for your final exam. You must pass, or you have to retake the class. You're in your desk in class and you see a classmate's notebook open on the floor.

I know that I haven't studied enough for the test I'm taking and chances are I knew that it would not be enough when I stopped studying the night before. This means that I think that this test/class are of little practical value to me and I don't care enough about it to exert myself to the needed level (I saw this a lot this semester in rl :doh: ).

If I have to retake the class, that's not a problem. I like being in college and it's just a chance to meet new people (although, chances are that I won't be showing up as often next time). Simply by not studying enough, I acknowledged the fact that retaking the class is a possibility.

I don't cheat because of the risk:reward ratio. I have obviously established the importance of this class in my last two paragraphs and it isn't important enough to risk getting caught and facing severe consequences for cheating on a final exam. There are worse things than retaking a class.

Of course, none of this is relevant if this is a class that is important to me and I only realized that I hadn't studied enough once I'm actually taking the test.

R

RDF

The Project: You're a team lead on a very visible project at work. One of your team members has started turning in work late, which is causing delays. This team member is caring for his elderly parent who has become ill. This team member is the expert in his area, but he has an inexperienced assistant who has offered to fill in. Your boss keeps asking for updates.

When the problem first comes to my attention, I would feel a couple seconds of irritation and paranoia that I'm going to be caught between the expert's need for time off and the boss's desire that the project be completed on schedule. So I would take a couple minutes to review in my mind similar situations from the past (either experienced by me or reported to me by others), to see if I can find precedence for resolving this.

That trip down memory lane would reassure me that I'm on solid ground to give the expert as much time off as he wants and to go to the boss with a request for an extension on the project or some other fix. Company policy says that employees in need of personal time for family crises should be granted that time; and bosses understand that shit happens and they should have flexibility to deal with that.

Aside from requesting a deadline extension, my review of past projects would also suggest two other possible fixes: Ask the boss for another expert to be assigned to the project from outside, or replace the expert with his own assistant.

Based on how he keeps asking for updates, it sounds like the boss is pretty hot to get the project done on time; so I would explore the replacement options first.

Bringing a second expert aboard the project would probably be the easiest and least disruptive. But the fact that the inexperienced assistant has volunteered to replace the expert would weigh heavily in favor of using the assistant: I like to reward initiative whenever possible. So even though using the assistant might introduce more variables into the equation and lead to more headaches in the long run, I would explore that option first.

Naturally I would want to cover all the logistics of that arrangement. For example, since the assistant is inexperienced I would need for someone to review his work (the original expert, me, another team member, or an outside expert). I would probably also need another person to do the assistant's original job.

But assuming that all logistics are doable, the last step would be to make my case to the boss and the team members and get them to buy in on that particular solution. The boss would probably be satisfied with the argument that training assistants to become new experts is an ongoing process, even during projects, and there should be duplication of knowledge and experience so that the team isn't crippled when one member has an emergency. The team members should be satisfied with the argument that using the assistant will ensure the greatest continuity in the project to the extent that the assistant knows the project and knows the original expert's methods. If the original expert doesn't like being pushed aside, I would dicker with him to keep him involved on a part-time basis and give him credit for overseeing and training the assistant to a new level of competency.

It isn't strictly necessary to come up with reasons for the team members and the original expert to buy in on the proposed solution; I'm comfortable with ruling by fiat and simply ordering people to do things my way. But team members are stakeholders too; and high-pressure projects are a special environment that may require a high degree of consensus within the team; and assuming the team members are good at what they do and they know the expert and his assistant, then they may have some important considerations of their own to contribute to my decision-making process. So I would probably want to get the team members on board with this decision too. And the goodwill earned from the buy-in process is a bargaining chip that can be traded in later when the going gets rough.

FL

Lookin4theBestNU

MBTI Type
ENFj
Enneagram
2w3
Type: ENFJ
(I only have time for one today but would enjoy coming back for the rest. This is indeed a 5 star thread idea!)

#1 The Exam: You don't feel like you studied enough for your final exam. You must pass, or you have to retake the class. You're in your desk in class and you see a classmate's notebook open on the floor.

You decide not to cheat.
Initial split-second observations/decisions:
Hmmm there is an open notebook I wonder why it's there? I bet there is someone who is going to be needing that! There is a possibility that someone is using it to cheat! (devil steps in) You didn't study for the test, you need to pass and that person could be you. I wonder if this is some kind of trick? I am going to find out as casually as possible who that notebook belongs to. (The moral dilemma upon finding out the owner of said notebook would probably end there. It would immediately become personalized which is important for me. I will assume for sake of the hypothetical dilemma it's someone I respect/compete with.)

Wow that's pretty tempting. No I will not cheat if I don't know this information enough to pass this exam then I get what is deserved. I will need to know this if I am going to be successful and it's better to know now then later down the road! Pffft.... besides how many freakin tests have you passed without studying at all? You will pass this test without resorting to cheating anyway. What were you thinking?(Now the fun begins!) You know it will be really interesting to see how this plays out. I am not going to pick it up yet, instead I am going to sit a few desks back. Let's watch to see what everyone else does with this! I wonder who is watching me watch this notebook? I wonder what so-and-so is thinking? YAAA I do see you looking at that notebook....what are you going to do? (gives the "I am not gonna tell look, but I am gonna know".) Anyway it would go very quickly, the integrity would easily outweigh the temptation. The curiosity/ability to watch other people with this situation would be exciting to me and a motivation in itself!!

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
4. Laid-off: You've been laid-off due to a merger. You are not sure when you will find another job as you live in an economically-depressed area. While you are running errands, some obviously poor kids ask you for $20. You decide to give the money to them.

Using the Thinking process:

1. I'm not sure if and when I will find another job, but it seems very clear that these kids are in a more disadvantaged state than I am and less likely to find economic relief. In the long run, they need the $20 more right now.

2. I can always move if I need to, to find work and income. They most likely cannot.

3. They are kids and still growing and left in poverty have more chance to muck up their lives by doing something stupid, like robbing a store or mugging someone; and if I can spare them that by somewhat alleviating their needs, I will.

4. Someone showing kindness to them might give them confidence to be kind to others and thus keep their lives from heading down the wrong path to start with.

--

Obviously there are some other things that are not mentioned in the scenario description, that I can imagine would definitely influence my "T" decision:

• The kids have pulled a gun on me. :D [It is better to live and lose $20, than to die and have my entire wallet stolen to boot.]
  • I would be looking at their clothes, their behavior, how "skinny and hungry" they look, and comparing it to my needs and the needs of my family -- who are my first priority since I have a literal obligation to them.
  • I would very likely ask what they intend to use the money for. If they need it for food, I am more inclined to take them out for lunch somewhere than just hand them $20 -- to make sure that the money is spent on what they truly need it for and not wasted on something else and also because I know that the time spent with them would probably be even more useful than the money, per se (because that is how human beings work).

You done good, RC. :)

kuranes

MBTI Type
XNXP
In the project scenario I am assuming certain things, just like I'm assuming that in the "cheating on a test" scenario that the notes are meaningful, and could be used to an unfair advnatage.

What I assume about the assistant is that he/she would be slower to ramp up than an outside contactor ( expert ) but that we are concerned that the person with the sick relative was going to worry that they were being replaced - if anyone but the assistant was used. I would opt to bring in a contractor ( again assuming that the contractor knows their stuff and can get up to speed quickly ) and assure the person with the sick relative that we were not replacing him or her ( assuming this is true. )

One could laugh and say that the contractor will NOT get up to speed quickly, having encountered people like that IRL, but if the assumptions are unclear, then the exercise seems pointless.

niffer

MBTI Type
ENfP
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You decide to replace the expert with the assistant.

- crap, he's slowing us down..because I want the project to turn out well for all of us, and also for my team to feel good about having me as a leader (my boss too), I must find out why and take action. this is small, and will be solved easliy. i will not let this get in the way of anything. i am not anxious, even though others might expect me to be.

- ah..so it's family problems.

- family and friends > work-related things, always. he values family, and so do i. many people also value family. i will not give him a hard time (actually, even if i myself did not value family that much, i still wouldn't give him a hard time because I know what it's like to value something that nobody else does). if he is replaced, he will have more time to care for his family. his parent may get better faster, and if this happens, well that's just one more problem resolved in this world!

- the assistant is inexperienced, but we can help him along. if he has any problems that we can't solve, then he can phone the expert. maybe the expert can come and check his work once we're near finishing. the assistant will get valuable training from this experience, and we will not have this problem next time. next time, we will have TWO experts!

- the boss WILL get his updates: i will fake some shit if we really need to. the boss does not need to know about this minor issue unless he asks, telling him would be wasting time anyways, and he's been waiting. it makes me feel good to know that i can solve problems while working in a team with ease, so that the rest of my team can be at ease.

- i would not enjoy it as much if someone else was the leader anyways. i feel that they may not be as stable or competent enough, or have good intentions for the rest of the team. i prefer to be the leader, so i know that things will be run smoothly and that we can all enjoy the experience.

-------------------------

this has been reallllly expanded...the actual thought process would take 2 seconds max.

i decided to choose this scenario because all the others are about things that i need to give up, and i really have no idea as to what makes me unselfish.

Park

MBTI Type
INTP

I'd have no moral problems cheating at an exam but in the current case, other factors could keep me from doing so.

In the long run, a diploma showing that I'm skilled in areas where I'm not could possibly do me more harm than good. At a job interview, a potential employer would take my grades into consideration when determining whether I was suitable for the job or not. I'd much rather want people to know that e.g. my german launguage skills sucks and get a job where this was less essential than ending up in a position where I would experience unnessecary stress because other people were dependant on me for filling out a place with skills I didn't have.

If a brief look at someone elses notes (providing that they were correct in the first place) were enough for me to pass an exam, I'd probably not be that far away from passing in the first place.

Alienclock

MBTI Type
infp
  • The Exam: You don't feel like you studied enough for your final exam. You must pass, or you have to retake the class.
    You're in your desk in class and you see a classmate's notebook open on the floor.

You decide not to cheat.

Type. INFP

Let me try to imagine ~~~
I'm looking over at his book, I can see some information that would help me, but I am not going to cheat. lol. Not likely...

Too strange, why is the book on the floor?

I have noticed the teacher has a really sharp eye, and is always checking out everyone without their realizing it, I know that she values honestly more than me getting the answers right.

Also, this particular student hates my guts because I am always peering over his shoulder and he has likely set me up, dropping the book, and possibly writing obviously wrong answers in the book. Set up. He might have someone watching me, and it would be easier to spot me looking at the book on the floor than over his shoulder. (because I have perfected the over shoulder peek skill)

Besides, I am fairly confident that I can bs on test far enough that I will get a passing grade. How else would have I have gotten this far? Surely not on cheating alone. Its probably just "test taking nerves" and because of my constant cheating and constant lack of preparation. And its better to fail the class than get some sort of disciplinary action for cheating... which could render all the time I spent in the school pointless...

rhinosaur

Just a statistic
MBTI Type
INTP
  1. The Exam: You don't feel like you studied enough for your final exam. You must pass, or you have to retake the class. You're in your desk in class and you see a classmate's notebook open on the floor.
Oh, man, this test is hard. What's this? An open notebook on the floor? Hmmm, I can make out some stuff that's relevant to question #13. What did I answer? Oh, ho. Hmmm, but how can I be sure their work is correct? They probably screwed something up, so I'm going to have to work through it all anyway. Let's see, you take the first equation and flip it like this...........

I'm borderline P/J but I lean toward INTP.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This looks like fun!
Problem/Decision Sets (choose one set only):
Ok, I'll choose this one, because it's the only choice I know I would make.

Reasoning:

Hmm, I wonder if there's anything useful in there. But I know how attentive people are about cheating, and I can't afford to fail this class if I'm found out. Not only would that ruin my GPA, but I would be horribly embarassed and a reputation for cheating would probably ruin my chances to get into grad school as well.

This would be enough to make it an easy decision for me, but I could also continue rationalizing that:

One page of info? Come on, that'd never be enough, even if I have sharp enough eyes to actually read it from so far away. Definitely not worth risking ruining my academic year/career. Not to mention how do I even know it's accurate? Some people are so stupid. I could end up doing better just by reasoning through the question. I've never failed a test in my life, so there's no way I'll fail this one on my own, while I'll definitely fail the test and the course if I'm caught cheating. Bad odds.

My type: INTP, strong P, moderate I and T, weak N

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
  1. The Car: You need to buy a new car. You can afford either a conventional gas car that gets 28 mpg or diesel car that gets 50 mpg but will create three times the amount of air pollution. Both cars are the same otherwise (same size, age, wear, cost, etc).You decide to purchase the conventional gas car.
Looks like no one tried this one, so I will take a shot at it.

I would look at the amount I need to drive. Would I save significant amount of money by choosing the diesel car?

What other "problems/con" came along with the diesel car? Was it harder to start on cold days, for example? Did it smell more? Etc.

No person singlehandedly can stop pollution, but if everyone did what they could and made a small sacrifice, then all of those little choices would accumulate into a large one just like when everyone chips in a buck, you can buy a really nice present for the boss. And eventually all the bad choices will accumulate as well and my children and other "innocent" people will be paying for my bad decision now.

I need to set an example if I want things to change. If I do not model the behavior I want to see, there is less impetus for others to change. Also, if I stop buying diesel and so many others do as well, the need drops and production will go down, and perhaps it will encourage business to invest elsewhere.

And, technically, it does not matter how others choose to react, as long as I can live with myself and my choices.