123 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII

Question ISTP is like INTP?

I don't know if there has been a thread about this recently, but this is a subject I've been thinking about.

It seems a number of ISTPs I know think they are INTPs, test as INTPs, and/or are perceived as INTPs (doesn't seem the reverse happens as often). This is a distinct type of ISTP, who doesn't fit stereotypical type descriptions of the ISTP as the fearless, adventurous, "cool" person. This type of ISTP is less active physically and more active mentally (although still more physically active than INTP). Many times they are interested in the same topics as INTPs. They are interested in theory, but unlike the INTP tend to be economical in the time they spend on theory and are more practical in their use of it. Also, ISTPs tend to use some Ni, which is more noticeable when you get to know them better. And the ISTP tends to be less talkative than the INTP.

It appears since the dom function of both types are Ti, when either relies heavily on Ti and/or doesn't have as well-developed an extraverted function, they can look quite similar. It's like their secondary function only exists to focus their Ti in certain ways.

Has anyone else noticed this (particularly INTPs and ISTPs)? In what other ways are the two different?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5 sp/sx

I think they are indeed very similar, I find it comforting how nicely my ideologies fit with theirs. Most of the differences I can think of are more enneagram related rather than Ne/Se differences though.
    5 3 9

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII

King-Of-Despair, you're INTP right?

In extremes, the two types are quite different. I know more stereotypical athletic ISTPs whose difference from the spacy, scatter-brained INTPs is obvious. You'd never confuse one for the other. But for many, the differences are not so clear.

It seems ISTPs (and ISFPs) can look like Ns quite often and type themselves as such.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

A lot of this has to do with the abysmal descriptions of Se as being pure hedonism as well as carry over from Keirsey's SP temperament description. Heavy Ti ISTPs will correspondingly be more Fe antagonistic and more accepting of Ni tertiary perception "guiding" Ti's gaze and judgments. They'll bring a technical precision to ideas and "nuts to bolts" rigor to fleshing them out that INTPs will at times gloss over and forget about. Telling the difference will be extremely difficult. I think the best way would to go beyond MBTI and look to something like interaction styles, INTPs are behind the scenes while ISTPs are chart the course, tending to be more directive and quicker situational thinkers.

@ptgatsby and @Orangey are great examples of these ISTPs.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I honestly think it's a product of really crappy ISTP descriptions online. I thought I was INTP for years because I didn't identify with being a mechanic or a fighter pilot. Now I don't really feel much in common with a lot of INTPs, usually their Ti has a very different flavour. Then again, I also don't really identify much with the more extreme S ISTPs either. Somewhere in the middle.
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII

And what is your type, Jock? Have you decided?

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    Telling the difference will be extremely difficult. I think the best way would to go beyond MBTI and look to something like interaction styles, INTPs are behind the scenes while ISTPs are chart the course, tending to be more directive and quicker situational thinkers.
    Yes, that's what I've been doing. Or at least not looking at the traditional descriptions and notes of INTPs vs ISTPs. And watching my relationships with both types -- the way I interact with each/the effect each has on me is noticeably different. ISTPs are slightly more personable, at least to me, even though some can be rough and argumentative.

@ptgatsby and @Orangey are great examples of these ISTPs.
    Oh so Orangey has decided on a type? I need to catch up. But then, I would choose INTJ as an alternative type for her before INTP; must be the Ni.

On the forum, the member "?" (question mark) comes to mind, but I don't know if he still posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    I honestly think it's a product of really crappy ISTP descriptions online.
    True. Someone who is very familiar with ISTPs should write a better description of them. Most of the descriptions I've seen don't apply to a huge chunk of ISTPs I know.

Plus, there is this whole idea that S types aren't interested in theory and in my experience, that's not really true.

Now I don't really feel much in common with a lot of INTPs, usually their Ti has a very different flavour.
    Like how? Can you elaborate?

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

@Lauren Ashley:

Yeah, gleaning from your OP, I've noticed these things in my interactions that mirror your comments:

- Interested in theory but tend to be more focused on the practical than the purely theoretical. This can pertain to both the way the situation is "logic'ed" through as well as topical matter. (INTPs can get caught up in some very fanciful speculation, but I've seen ISTPs lean more towards info with practical use, including political and economic theory, etc., and getting bored/annoyed with purely speculative crap that most INTPs seem to eat up. Shows like Star Trek seem to be more an INTP staple than an ISTP staple, as well.)

- ISTPs exhibit aspects of Ni, I've noticed the dom-tert loop easily INTPs and ISTPs .... INTPs actually can become attached to their little safe nest from which they think and can also defend ideas of theirs out of precedence (they like the familiarity), while ISTPs tend to protect their thinking by expressing more wariness of people's potential ulterior motives.

- ISTP tends to be less talkative than the INTP... not that both can't be terse, but ISTP is "leaner," typically.

It's like their secondary function only exists to focus their Ti in certain ways.
    Well, yes, it determines what sort of data is acceptable to dump into the hopper, which then focuses their Ti in certain directions.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I'm not sure I really can elaborate much.....their thinking process just seems alien and bizarre sometimes. It might just be the more immature ones, since I definitely relate more to the ones in their late 20s-30s, particularly the female ones. The teenage male INTP is something that is bizarre to me, even looking back on myself as a teenager.

IRL I relate more to INTJs, maybe even INFJs, than to INTPs, although not so much here on the forum. Maybe it's just the ones I've met.
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII

Hi Jennifer, I'm glad you stopped by. I want to pick your brain!

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    - Interested in theory but tend to be more focused on the practical than the purely theoretical. This can pertain to both the way the situation is "logic'ed" through as well as topical matter. (INTPs can get caught up in some very fanciful speculation, but I've seen ISTPs lean more towards info with practical use, including political and economic theory, etc.
    Exactly. That and really data-driven subjects like stats.

- ISTPs exhibit aspects of Ni, I've noticed the dom-tert loop easily INTPs and ISTPs .... INTPs actually can become attached to their little safe nest from which they think and can also defend ideas of theirs out of precedence (they like the familiarity), while ISTPs tend to protect their thinking by expressing more wariness of people's potential ulterior motives.
    Yes, yes, it's like an Ni-dom type. I am always surprised when I see this from ISTPs, and feel put upon that they are so suspicious of me. I wonder if that's what I put people through in daily life... How awful.

Well, yes, it determines what sort of data is acceptable to dump into the hopper, which then focuses their Ti in certain directions.
    But why can we (or should I say, I) never really "see" it? Isn't it supposed to show up when they are extraverting?

I can definitely see Ne or Se in ExxPs and the typical IxTPs. But with these types I only get a faint sense that it's there, lost among sky-high Ti -- it's almost like they extravert Ti, if that makes sense.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    3w2
    Socionics
    SEE

I don't really know what to say; with the ISTP, generally, actions speak louder than words. With the INTP, the pen is mightier than the sword.

Most of my friends are ENTP's or INTP's though (statistically possible because I go to an engineering school).

A lot of this has to do with the abysmal descriptions of Se as being pure hedonism as well as carry over from Keirsey's SP temperament description.
    This. In spite of being different temperaments, they use the same function, yeah?

Quote Originally Posted by Lauren Ashley View Post
    They are interested in theory, but unlike the INTP tend to be economical in the time they spend on theory and are more practical in their use of it.
    They tend to specialize in areas where they can use their keen present-tense awareness of sensory cues to bolster their natural ability to deconstruct and solve structural puzzles: ISTPs are often involved with auto mechanics, building/repairing electronics, designing and building architecture, performing or recording music, and so on--anything where they can get their hands on it and figure out for themselves how it works, then use that to make it do something interesting or exciting.
    ISTP 3w2 SX/SO