• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

ISTP is like INTP?

Eugene Watson VIII

Senor Membrae
MBTI Type
xxxP
Enneagram
?
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
INTPs will end up with extremely abstract theories that the usual ISTP will think is a little insane. ISTPs are more driven to test and play around with these ideas and if they don't quite align with reality they will be quicker to reject them. INTPs will entertain ridiculous ideas like ENTPs do but they will be quicker to narrow them down and see if they have any truth. It doesn't matter if these theories don't appear to be in the real world, so long as they can be mentally understood they will have some acceptance by the INTP. They will be content until information begins contradicting their models where they start all over again.

ISTP 5s will appear even more like INTPs, but I think their thoughts tend to be way more concrete than INTPs.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I have noticed on pretty much every philosopher typing thread like half of the philosophers are typed INTP and none of them are typed ISTP, meaning either lots of philosophical ISTPs get mistyped as INTP or ISTPs just are not a philosophical type, making if a Ti user is interested in philosophy the sure way to tell.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
ISTPs are EXACTLY like INTPs.
Except we get laid.

Ya for a while I thought I was ISTP but the truth is I have never been laid in my entire existence rendering ISTP invalid.

Impact Calculus

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
On the surface they should look similar. This is primarily true because the switch comes within the aux/tert functions. Although, their entire process of judgement behaves very differently.

Crafter

MBTI Type
ISTP
When it comes to philosophy, I don't mind discussing it. Heck it was even a subject in school where I got an A.

I remember one of my INTP classmates and how we discussed greek philosophers.
While I tend to just stick with the facts written in the books, my classmate tended to spin into more deep analyze of the theory, making it just more and more abstract. He even confused the teacher to the point where I had to tell him. Just take it for what it is man. Don't dig too deep into it.
A tree is just a tree.

StephMC

Controlled Mischief
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
When it comes to philosophy, I don't mind discussing it. Heck it was even a subject in school where I got an A.

While I tend to just stick with the facts written in the books, my classmate tended to spin into more deep analyze of the theory, making it just more and more abstract. He even confused the teacher to the point where I had to tell him. Just take it for what it is man. Don't dig too deep into it.
A tree is just a tree.

Yeah, this is definitely my interaction with my INTP best friend.

Another major difference: We both have a tendency to lose ourselves in topics that interest us. For a while though, I thought he had more energy to spend on those topics that interested him, whereas I would slow down when I stopped seeing practical benefits or application. Then I realized that it wasn't that he had more energy to spend on those topics, it was that what he considered his range of application was just a lot more ... well, vast. His Ne tells him that he can apply that interest to here, and here, and here, and here... :unsure:

And we also talked about ISTP/INTP differences once. We pretty much came to this conclusion:

ISTPs are EXACTLY like INTPs.
Except we get laid.

:D But seriously, he mentioned once that when a girl gave him a "signal" to kiss them he just kind of shut down and had no idea what to do. I definitely have not experienced this situation with the opposite sex :shock:

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
A tree is just a tree.

Yeah, that's one area where the INTP is likely to leave the ISTP in the dust.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
VVVVVVVVV
.VVVVVVVV
..VVVVVVV
...VVVVVV
....VVVVV
.....VVVV
......VVV
.......VV
........V

^INTP

|||||||||||||||||||

^ISTP

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
A tree is just a tree.

Albert Einstein quote:
All religions, arts and sciences are branches of the same tree. All these aspirations are directed toward ennobling man's life, lifting it from the sphere of mere physical existence and leading the individual towards freedom.

idk random that just reminded me of that quote lol so ya a tree is just a tree but what a tree is depends on context. I found that kind of funny.

Poindexter Arachnid

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
:D But seriously, he mentioned once that when a girl gave him a "signal" to kiss them he just kind of shut down and had no idea what to do. I definitely have not experienced this situation with the opposite sex :shock:

That's because you never met me. Ha, ha!
But seriously.

I have the same thing when a girl comes on heavy and insistent.
I like, wanna be friends first and stuff.

Eugene Watson VIII

Senor Membrae
MBTI Type
xxxP
Enneagram
?
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
VVVVVVVVV
.VVVVVVVV
..VVVVVVV
...VVVVVV
....VVVVV
.....VVVV
......VVV
.......VV
........V

^INTP

|||||||||||||||||||

^ISTP

absolutely.

need moar V though

Phoenix

MBTI Type
XNTX
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
A tree is just a tree.

Hmm .. I dunno .. I've seen plenty of ISTP's in the grip of tertiary Ni reading waaay too much into things shooting off conspiracy theory after conspiracy theory which can be extremely abstract and convincing at the same time.

KDude

Hmm .. I dunno .. I've seen plenty of ISTP's in the grip of tertiary Ni reading waaay too much into things shooting off conspiracy theory after conspiracy theory which can be extremely abstract and convincing at the same time.

It happens... But I think the intuitive types are still earthy in a way. Not eggheads. Timothy Leary - ESTP imo (seen him typed INFJ before though).

Phoenix

MBTI Type
XNTX
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It happens... But I think the intuitive types are still earthy in a way. Not eggheads. Timothy Leary - ESTP imo (seen him typed INFJ before though).

I agree. A lot is made of the correlation between intuition and having a penchant for the abstract theories/philosophy etc, which are largely unproven.

Crafter

MBTI Type
ISTP
Oh yes absolutely. I love conspiracy theories. That type of abstract is thrilling though. It makes me wanna dig deeper. It is almost like solving a problem. Greek philosophy though...different story.

The philosophy situation I spoke of though was, If I remember correctly, about "The Allegory of the Cave".
My buddy kept spinning that theory deeper and deeper until it was so abstract that he almost couldn't explain it in words, where upon I said "Can't you just take it for what it is? A cave with an opening. Socrates already explained it. No need to dig it any deeper." Maybe I shouldn't have used the tree as an example.

StephMC

Controlled Mischief
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Oh yes absolutely. I love conspiracy theories. That type of abstract is thrilling though. It makes me wanna dig deeper. It is almost like solving a problem. Greek philosophy though...different story.

The philosophy situation I spoke of though was, If I remember correctly, about "The Allegory of the Cave".
My buddy kept spinning that theory deeper and deeper until it was so abstract that he almost couldn't explain it in words, where upon I said "Can't you just take it for what it is? A cave with an opening. Socrates already explained it. No need to dig it any deeper." Maybe I shouldn't have used the tree as an example.

Yep, again, I know exactly what you mean. I've thought about this a little bit. When my INTP friend and I go off on say, MBTI cognitive processes, he'll start going off on that abstract tangent. To me, that sounds stressful and inefficient when it loses what I feel is "useful" -- but he just enjoys doing it. It's not that ISTPs can't go off on abstract tangents (believe me, I've spun off little Ni tangents on the INTP too), it's just that most times we don't see a purpose too (unless we just enjoy the moment).