• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

ISTP is like INTP?

ICUP

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
But you make lists so you don't count! Not enough perceiver in you! :p

Yep, I am 50/50 P/J. :) But I am still istp hehe ;)

Seriously, I learned at some point that I needed J in order to get anything done lol!
I do wander off like mad tho, whenever anything catches my eye. I love to shop and browse. I'm not really big on getting just the items on the list and leaving. I have to force myself to do that.......
I like to go shopping with no goals in mind and just explore. Shopping is impractical for me, in general lol.....and I think it's because I use it as a diversion/to destress.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yep, I am 50/50 P/J. :) But I am still istp hehe ;)

Seriously, I learned at some point that I needed J in order to get anything done lol!

A perceiver can't become a judger or vice versa. The J you speak off is most likely a learned trait that only appears J.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You and me both.

I think if an INTP and an ISTP would go do their groceries, although neither are much for making lists. An ISTP would start at the beginning and go to the end picking up whatever he or she needs and go to the cashier. An INTP would wander about, pondering about what they fancy, and zig zag their way from start to end and back to start if they have to until finally going to the cashier.
I would make a list, not look at it ever, start at one side and go to the other in order, while pondering about what I fancy, then zig zig back and forth to get all the things I forgot to grab along the way. What does that make me? :cheese:

I also think ISTP's might more easily prefer public transport over self transport while INTP's would prefer self transport over public transport. Because INTP's would rather be in control of their direction themselves instead of their destination, whilest an ISTP is less concerned about the control of their direction but more concerned about reaching their destination.
Sorta prefer a mix. Biking is way better than bus in the summer (no waiting, control over direction and speed) but it's also nice to relax on the bus every so often. I don't enjoy driving so I'd rather not drive when possible.

ICUP

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
A perceiver can't become a judger or vice versa. The J you speak off is most likely a learned trait that only appears J.

Yes, I know........
I mean that in testing, I get high scores in J. I thought I was INTJ when I first tested..... (I do a lot of J things......)
That was just me being silly....... when I said, "I learned at some point that I needed J in order to get anything done"..... that was supposed to be silliness. Although i think subconsciously I probably did.....
I know the basics.

My point in saying I was "still istp" was to show that I still count as istp, even though I score high in J, so I don't think you can assume that an ISTP or an INTP will shop a certain way.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I would make a list, not look at it ever, start at one side and go to the other in order, while pondering about what I fancy, then zig zig back and forth to get all the things I forgot to grab along the way. What does that make me? :cheese:

Ineffective but not neccesarily aloof. You still pick the things that initially made it on your list, no? But you just forgot them along the way. ISTP! :p

Sorta prefer a mix. Biking is way better than bus in the summer (no waiting, control over direction and speed) but it's also nice to relax on the bus every so often. I don't enjoy driving so I'd rather not drive when possible.

You prefer the bike because of speed, it gets you to your destination fast, am I mistaken? Would you consider taking a detour on your bike for whatever reason that doesn't get you to your destination faster? No? ISTP. :p

Although... Not that an INTP would likely make a detour or anything either. But an INTP would still prefer having the choice at least at all times. :p

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
so I don't think you can assume that an ISTP or an INTP will shop a certain way.

Correct! And I would like to point out a sentence in one of my previous posts to underline this.

If you see someone do something, the best thing is inquire why they do it like that, and then make up your mind about their type. And not chalk up their actions to a specific type without knowing their reasining behind it. :p

But we are gathered here, nonetheless, to try and piece together apparant differences, no matter how hard/impossible that may be, because what is seen is only half the story.. So I am not saying how ISTP's and INTP's will always shop, I just share what I think is the most likely way they would. :D

ICUP

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
But we are gathered here, nonetheless, to try and piece together apparant differences, no matter how hard/impossible that may be, because what is seen is only half the story.. So I am not saying how ISTP's and INTP's will always shop, I just share what I think is the most likely way they would. :D

Makes sense. I think I hate being put into a nice little box. :) I am an istp and I don't shop that way :ranting: :D

Now that I see what this was all about, I'm going to slink back into my hole. Serves me right for barging in......:(

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's okay, I have a soft spot for IFJs and their need for closure while still trying to respect TP craziness.

Well, you're a loveable INTP. :wubbie:

I guess with many INTPs I never really tried to get to know them on more than a superficial level. Sure, I would analyze them and their behavior, but I kept my distance. I just assumed they couldn't be bothered.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
[MENTION=88]ptgatsby[/MENTION] and [MENTION=4490]Orangey[/MENTION] are great examples of these ISTPs.

Oh so Orangey has decided on a type? I need to catch up. :) But then, I would choose INTJ as an alternative type for her before INTP; must be the Ni.

Eh, I flip flop between ISTP and ESTP these days.

Honestly, though, I used to confuse myself for INTP not because I'm truly similar, but rather because (like others have said) I was confused and put-off by descriptions of S-types on the internet. IRL I have always been athletic (except during these last three years of grad school, though I still jog), I come off as much more assertive than INTPs, and I do tend to have little patience for what I determine to be useless speculation (or useless avenues of conversation.)

I've found that if I were going to say that I resemble another type IRL, it would probably most likely be between ENTJ and INTJ. Not INTP all that much, really.

BTW, long time no see, [MENTION=4869]Lauren Ashley[/MENTION]!

Edit: Just read the driving v.s. the bus thing. I will just add that there are absolutely no circumstances under which I would not prefer to drive myself in my own vehicle. I love driving and absolutely hate taking the fucking bus. Ugh.

Nomenclature

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
3w2
I'm really biased here because I technically am not allowed to drive yet, but I prefer public transportation; frees my mind and hands to work on something else (PERV), just talk to people, etc., and I like a congested city because there's always something to DO and a lot of nightlife without really having to go out of my way to get there. Driving myself is kind of like sleeping... it's a chore, and I don't want to do it, but I need to.

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hi [MENTION=4490]Orangey[/MENTION]! My favorite orange blobby thingy. :hug:

I see three of my favorite people here: [MENTION=5639]JocktheMotie[/MENTION], you, and [MENTION=7]Jennifer[/MENTION]. Which is so weird, considering you all are IxTPs. I get along with them better online, maybe.

Oh, [MENTION=11384]Nomenclature[/MENTION], are you female? I thought you were a guy until I visited your profile.

P.S. I like these new "@ mentions". So I will continue to use them, even when unnecessary.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ineffective but not neccesarily aloof. You still pick the things that initially made it on your list, no? But you just forgot them along the way. ISTP! :p
haha, I sometimes get them all, if I manage to remember. And usually a lot more things besides, that distract me - cheese is the worst!

You prefer the bike because of speed, it gets you to your destination fast, am I mistaken? Would you consider taking a detour on your bike for whatever reason that doesn't get you to your destination faster? No? ISTP. :p

Although... Not that an INTP would likely make a detour or anything either. But an INTP would still prefer having the choice at least at all times. :p
Mostly speed, but the control is nice too. My main reason is probably cost with speed second and fun/exercise third. I would consider a detour if there was a reason for it - I do take a slightly longer route already to avoid some of the more unpleasant roads to bike on. It's not my preference to go a longer way though, you're right.

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Actually, I personaly relate to the hedonism/non hedonist difference between ISTP and INTP, the thrill of sensors pleasures from the external world and adventure always appealed to me. I'am very annoyed by Ne even if I'm very good with, but really, it is the disapointing function. I like parties, sports, fashion, typycally the kind of thing thant INTPs tend to hate. I'am a natural performer. I tend to be square and concise when I develop my reasoning, INTP are more verbose.

Nomenclature

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
3w2
Actually, I personaly relate to the hedonism/non hedonist difference between ISTP and INTP, the thrill of sensors pleasures from the external world and adventure always appealed to me.

We're both enneagram SP last, which has a lot to do with not coming off as a "typical" introvert, if that makes any sense; I like parties, pep rallies, talking to strangers when traveling, major thrill rides, pushing reactions out of people, etc. I'm a performer as well, and it boggles some people how I could type myself an introvert. It makes perfect sense to me, though.

The guy I was talking about earlier is SO last and he considers himself VERY hedonistic, but really... uh, apathetic and low-energy. Sooooo I just wanted to add the part about the stacking.

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Cognitively, INTPs and ISTPs are virtually identical, but I think that behaviorally, being different temperaments, that's where you'll notice the difference.

I missed this post. But that's an interesting point of view. I wonder if ISTPs and INTPs agree with that.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Hi [MENTION=4490]Orangey[/MENTION]! My favorite orange blobby thingy. :hug:

:hi:

I'm really biased here because I technically am not allowed to drive yet, but I prefer public transportation; frees my mind and hands to work on something else (PERV), just talk to people, etc., and I like a congested city because there's always something to DO and a lot of nightlife without really having to go out of my way to get there. Driving myself is kind of like sleeping... it's a chore, and I don't want to do it, but I need to.

How is that possible if you live in SE Michigan? Detroit (and the metropolitan area) has shit for public transportation.

Actually, I personaly relate to the hedonism/non hedonist difference between ISTP and INTP, the thrill of sensors pleasures from the external world and adventure always appealed to me. I'am very annoyed by Ne even if I'm very good with, but really, it is the disapointing function. I like parties, sports, fashion, typycally the kind of thing thant INTPs tend to hate. I'am a natural performer. I tend to be square and concise when I develop my reasoning, INTP are more verbose.

The most hedonistic I get is heavy drinking, smoking, and sometimes the bar/party scene. Sometimes. It gets on my nerves after a while, though, and then I periodically purge myself of these things.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Some of the responses are delving into more stereotypical facades of the types while I think [MENTION=4869]Lauren Ashley[/MENTION] was more concerned with what to do when there seemed to be more ambiguity, particularly because of the individual exhibiting extreme Ti dominance.

Naturally, the differences are going to be far more subtle because they're approaching a sort of, "Jungian Ideal" Ti user described in Psychological Types. At this point, paying attention to decision making specifics and what elements of information the ITP tends to attune to [and why] are where you're going to find your clues but they're going to be difficult to divine because of poor expression. You may even find that it's an exercise in futility, since if the differences are negligible then the ability for type to provide meaningful insight into the individual's mind is going to be negligible as well.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Many INTPs will be similar to ISTPs, and vice versa. The N/S divide isn't as large as people seem to think it is.

I love telling INTJs how they remind me of ISTJs. They also love being told that. /sarcasm

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=5639]JocktheMotie[/MENTION], I'm learning a lot from all of the responses and I'll probably use them all to come up with my own way of spotting the difference.

At this point, paying attention to decision making specifics and what elements of information the ITP tends to attune to [and why] are where you're going to find your clues but they're going to be difficult to divine because of poor expression.

It is very difficult, and I'm hoping there are more behavioral clues. Trying to figure out an introverted function + a poorly-used/developed extraverted function isn't the easiest thing in the world.

I love telling INTJs how they remind me of ISTJs. They also love being told that. /sarcasm

INTJs like ISTJs? Nah... It's just the introverts with the same dominant function that can be confusing. And ISTPs in particular because some of their interests and behavior are like those found more commonly in Ns.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
INTJs like ISTJs? Nah... It's just the introverts with the same dominant function that can be confusing. And ISTPs in particular because some of their interests and behavior are like those found more commonly in Ns.

Oh yeah, INTJs remind me of my ISTJ wife all the time. They hate being told this.