• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

ISTP is like INTP?

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't want to make it seem as though ISTPs don't consider all options. I think they do and they can be indecisive at first (at least that's the vibe I get -- it's not expressed openly). But they reach conclusions faster and more decisively. They do not change their opinions readily.

Yes, nor did I, that's why I edited my post with an example. It's not that either don't look at all angles, it's that ISTP's will make due with incomplete information if the situation asks for it and it proves practical. Whilest INTP's do not share this ability.

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I myself am really push-and-pull between doing everything and doing nothing

Lol. Yes, I guess you could say that. They jump from long periods of inactivity to short bursts of lots of activity. But for most of the time they aren't doing much.

HOWEVER, I know an ISTP who hadn't left the house in months one time, which BOGGLES my mind.

Me too, actually I know more than one who really only leave the house for necessities like groceries and such. But they are introverts so...

Habitual creature in physical comfort

A-ha, is that it? Are they just stuck in the physical comfort?

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
And what is your type, Jock? Have you decided?

I always come back to INTP. Only time I heavily considered ISTP was when I was trying to explain what I thought was Ni [it was just Ti] and I hated nearly every INTP on the forum so much I thought there's no way in hell I'm the same type as these losers. I related more to the above mentioned ISTPs and INTJs. But I realized Se is nowhere to be found and I was just trying to get fancy due to boredom.

Yes, that's what I've been doing. Or at least not looking at the traditional descriptions and notes of INTPs vs ISTPs. And watching my relationships with both types -- the way I interact with each/the effect each has on me is noticeably different. ISTPs are slightly more personable, at least to me, even though some can be rough and argumentative.

You may feel a closer connection to ISTPs because your dom-tert stress responses are similar.

Oh so Orangey has decided on a type? I need to catch up. :) But then, I would choose INTJ as an alternative type for her before INTP; must be the Ni.

The Ni, and the more direct communication style than you'll typically see INTPs employ. Although it's better to just ask her I suppose.

Oh, and another thing I've noticed -- ISTPs tend to come to their conclusions quicker than INTPs, no? I wouldn't see they're mentally quicker or smarter in general, but I guess because of the Se they are quicker on the draw. Of course this has its downsides in that they sometimes jump to obviously false conclusions.

A lot of this has to do with Se being very tactical in nature. ISTP systems and frameworks are arguably deeper and more specialized in nature so they can more easily make decisions within them, while INTP systems tend to be broad, so there's an entire laundry list of inane crap they have to go through before being satisfied of making one.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
A lot of this has to do with Se being very tactical in nature. ISTP systems and frameworks are arguably deeper and more specialized in nature so they can more easily make decisions within them, while INTP systems tend to be broad, so there's an entire laundry list of inane crap they have to go through before being satisfied of making one.

That's pretty much what I meant with my post. xD

/irony
But it's not really a conclusion, more like a hypothesis. Right Jock? ;)

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes, nor did I, that's why I edited my post with an example.

Oh, I didn't see that. Let me reply to it...

.. An INTP would not want to submit to such reasoning for the off chance that it isn't so, not caring about the practicality of the situation, but more about the actual truth of the problem...ISTP's will make due with incomplete information if the situation asks for it and it proves practical. Whilest INTP's do not share this ability.

So INTPs will just wait and wait for "complete" information? And how would they know if it was complete or not?

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
So INTPs will just wait and wait for "complete" information? And how would they know if it was complete or not?

They don't, truth is we never really seem to reach conclusions unless the evidence is fundamentally solid by law of physics. In order words, as far as relations and such go, we don't conclude. We just hypothesize.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
That's pretty much what I meant with my post. xD

/irony
But it's not really a conclusion, more like a hypothesis. Right Jock? ;)

But of course :D

Oh, I didn't see that. Let me reply to it...

INTPs will have a broader definition of what "complete" entails. They can become bogged down with implications of how new information alters the interconnected web of all things [Ne vision of the world].

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I always come back to INTP. Only time I heavily considered ISTP was when I was trying to explain what I thought was Ni [it was just Ti] and I hated nearly every INTP on the forum so much I thought there's no way in hell I'm the same type as these losers.

Lol. I guess hating lots of people of your type can make you question it.

You may feel a closer connection to ISTPs because your dom-tert stress responses are similar.

But I don't feel closer to them, at least not most of them. By personable I meant oriented towards people and sociable (as far as the two types go).

Personally, I tend to end up not liking them once we really get to know each other... and they don't like me even before they get to know me. I have ISTP repellant; it's like they hate my existence. They don't even try to hide their dislike and instead openly chastise me.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Personally, I tend to end up not liking them once we really get to know each other... and they don't like me even before they get to know me. I have ISTP repellant; it's like they hate my existence. They don't even try to hide their dislike and instead openly chastise me.

Well. It is pretty much impossible to reach a conclusion about who an INFJ really is. See what I did there? :D

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
They don't, truth is we never really seem to reach conclusions

Well, that sounds terrible. Not coming to a conclusion? I am scared, very scared. :mellow:

Well. It is pretty much impossible to reach a conclusion about who an INFJ really is. See what I did there? :D

Ha, but they seem to come to them quite easily. No matter how much I protest that they have the wrong idea. That tertiary Ni. It's quite disastrous.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
INTPs will have a broader definition of what "complete" entails. They can become bogged down with implications of how new information alters the interconnected web of all things [Ne vision of the world].

Yes, no "natural" boundaries to the information, the web can extend into infinity.

Lauren Ashley said:

Reasonable sampling size.

You try to get enough information from various aspects of the problem that it seems representative of the whole, so that you can then draw a conclusion. Drawing conclusions, though, is typically a learned skill in order to function productively in the external world.

If it turns out you get new info, though, that changes your conclusion, you're stuck either changing your conclusion or else feeling incoherent/lacking integrity.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well, that sounds terrible. Not coming to a conclusion? I am scared, very scared. :mellow:

It's not terrible at all. Like Jennifer said, we are more interested in the means instead of the ends. We don't care about the conclusions, we care about the process. :p

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So one way I could tell the difference between the two is noting when and if they come to conclusions?

ICUP

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I myself am really push-and-pull between doing everything and doing nothing, so maybe you're not getting the whole picture... HOWEVER, I know an ISTP who hadn't left the house in months one time, which BOGGLES my mind. In his own words, "I'll always be bored whether I'm out of the house or not."

I could do this if I was stoned.
Was he smoking pot, taking prozac, or any other drugs?
Other than that, I don't think I could stay at my house for months without going out, at least on weekends.
Pot and prozac make me overly-relaxed and unmotivated.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
So one way I could tell the difference between the two is noting when and if they come to conclusions?

That seems to be the thread in this thread. But I think that's just one of many differences. There is much more in which the differences can be seen. But as far as orientation goes, yeah, ISTP's strive to be practical, INTP's do not. Making conclusions comes with being practical.

Ofcourse that doesn't mean INTP's are never practical and ISTP's always are, but that's another story. It's all about the orientation I think. :)

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's not terrible at all. Like Jennifer said, we are more interested in the means instead of the ends. We don't care about the conclusions, we care about the process. :p

Perceivers. :dry:

Still, it seems like the perfect recipe for torture. I remember those short descriptions on similarminds... one of those for INTP was something like, "struggles with the meaninglessness of existence". I can certainly see why.

That seems to be the thread in this thread. But I think that's just one of many differences. There is much more in which the differences can be seen.

What other differences are there? I could use any and all info. I have ideas but they're hard to put into words.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have ideas but they're hard to put into words.

You and me both.

I think if an INTP and an ISTP would go do their groceries, although neither are much for making lists. An ISTP would start at the beginning and go to the end picking up whatever he or she needs and go to the cashier. An INTP would wander about, pondering about what they fancy, and zig zag their way from start to end and back to start if they have to until finally going to the cashier.

I also think ISTP's might more easily prefer public transport over self transport while INTP's would prefer self transport over public transport. Because INTP's would rather be in control of their direction themselves instead of their destination, whilest an ISTP is less concerned about the control of their direction but more concerned about reaching their destination.

INTP's appear much more aloof than ISTP's do.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Perceivers. :dry:

It's okay, I have a soft spot for IFJs and their need for closure while still trying to respect TP craziness.

Still, it seems like the perfect recipe for torture. I remember those short descriptions on similarminds... one of those for INTP was something like, "struggles with the meaninglessness of existence". I can certainly see why.

Finally. Someone understands. :alttongue:

I think if an INTP and an ISTP would go do their groceries, although neither are much for making lists. An ISTP would start at the beginning and go to the end picking up whatever he or she needs and go to the cashier. An INTP would wander about, pondering about what they fancy, and zig zag their way from start to end and back to start if they have to until finally going to the cashier.

Which is funny. Because I think I used to be more the latter, but now am much more of the former... and have contemplated recently creating lists, in order to better control my eating since I'm serious about managing my diet.

It's a learned skill. I didn't used to be that way, but I got tired of wasting so much time wandering, and also not getting everything I realized I needed.

ICUP

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You and me both.

Actually, I would make a list, because I think I would forget otherwise. I would plan to go from beginning to end, but I would stop and run-off in another direction often, because something caught my fancy. Then, I would have to think about where I was to begin with and get my bearings again, and review the list.

I think it's about having a stable ground (the list, a workable system of trafficking through), but then drifting off and running amuck from there, and then regrounding myself. It's like I am managing myself. If I don't, I may never buy any groceries, and still be in the store 3 hours later, browsing lol.....

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Actually, I would make a list, because I think I would forget otherwise. I would plan to go from beginning to end, but I would stop and run-off in another direction often, because something caught my fancy. Then, I would have to think about where I was to begin with and get my bearings again, and review the list.

I think it's about having a stable ground (the list, a workable system of trafficking through), but then drifting off and running amuck from there, and then regrounding myself. It's like I am managing myself.

But you make lists so you don't count! Not enough perceiver in you! :p

Which is funny. Because I think I used to be more the latter, but now am much more of the former... and have contemplated recently creating lists, in order to better control my eating since I'm serious about managing my diet.

It's a learned skill. I didn't used to be that way, but I got tired of wasting so much time wandering, and also not getting everything I realized I needed.

That's the bane of MBTI though. When trying to identify peoples traits to specific types, one looks at the result of their traits and not at the reasoning behind their traits. And that's why typing people is a dangerous business.

An INTP can assume traits of ISTP's and vice versa, but for entirely different reasons rooted in entirely different cognative functions.

If you see someone do something, the best thing is inquire why they do it like that, and then make up your mind about their type. And not chalk up their actions to a specific type without knowing their reasining behind it. :p