User Tag List

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: ISTP is like INTP?

Senior Member Array Nomenclature's Avatar

Yeah, INTJ's and ISTJ's look alike really superficially, but it's when types have the same dominant function that it's hard to tell, especially when Se and Ne look a lot alike.

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    How is that possible if you live in SE Michigan? Detroit (and the metropolitan area) has shit for public transportation.
    I travel a lot, including visiting my cousin who lived in Manhattan, having been to Paris, visiting Chicago multiple times, etc. In Michigan, Ann Arbor and Royal Oak's infrastructure are spaced closely together enough for traveling by foot to be feasible. My point was more that I didn't like being isolated in a car, soooo...
    ISTP 3w2 SX/SO

I always test as INTP, but seriously wanted to be a mechanic, fighter pilot (or SR-71 pilot actually ), and special forces officer/instructor at various times in my life--not just a passing interest either. I have a garage full of tools, do 98% of my own vehicle repairs and maintenance, and have been within 30 feet of many different fighter jets, all while in-flight. When that starts to get boring, I switch over to things like psychology, computer applications design, science, astronomy, and astrophysics.

MBTI just measures general preferences. As a model, it's often taught as more concrete than it is just for the sake of understanding and effective communication of the theories. People tend to hold onto those black and white definitions too tenaciously.

In Full Flight Array Lauren Ashley's Avatar
    4 sx/sp

@JAVO, you ISTP, you. :P
    ~Life in a cappella~

Whisky Old & Women Young Array Speed Gavroche's Avatar
    6w7 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Nomenclature View Post
    We're both enneagram SP last, which has a lot to do with not coming off as a "typical" introvert, if that makes any sense; I like parties, pep rallies, talking to strangers when traveling, major thrill rides, pushing reactions out of people, etc. I'm a performer as well, and it boggles some people how I could type myself an introvert. It makes perfect sense to me, though.

The guy I was talking about earlier is SO last and he considers himself VERY hedonistic, but really... uh, apathetic and low-energy. Sooooo I just wanted to add the part about the stacking.
    I actually had a hard time to identify me as an ISTP because of all these ISTPs who are Self-pres first and So last, like Clint Eastwood for example, eer, not me at all. Sx/So ISTP like Paris Hilton, Megan Fox, Katharine Hepburn, Iggy Pop or GG Allin fits better though.
    EsTP 6w7 Sx/Sp

Chaotic Neutral

E=60% S=55% T=70% P=80%

"I don't believe in guilt, I only believe in living on impulses"

"Stereotypes about personality and gender turn out to be fairly accurate: ... On the binary Myers-Briggs measure, the thinking-feeling breakdown is about 30/70 for women versus 60/40 for men." ~ Bryan Caplan

548 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    I think if an INTP and an ISTP would go do their groceries, although neither are much for making lists. An ISTP would start at the beginning and go to the end picking up whatever he or she needs and go to the cashier. An INTP would wander about, pondering about what they fancy, and zig zag their way from start to end and back to start if they have to until finally going to the cashier.
    When I used to do the shopping every payday, at this huge supermarket, I liked the place so much; I drew a map of it, and remembering the general location of everything; I would copy the list my wife wrote onto the map (in pencil, to erase and reuse), and then zigzag my way from one end to the other picking up everything.
    I also think ISTP's might more easily prefer public transport over self transport while INTP's would prefer self transport over public transport. Because INTP's would rather be in control of their direction themselves instead of their destination, whilest an ISTP is less concerned about the control of their direction but more concerned about reaching their destination.
    I'm always used public transit, but do prefer controlling my direction. when others are driving, I would often direct them, and when taking interstate buses, would go a particular way depending on what I want to see.
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

Banned Array

Clearly chalk and cheese... oh wait, not at all. Pretty damn similar. Amusingly ISTPs frequently mistype INTJ but then again so do INTPs.

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    @ptgatsby and @Orangey are great examples of these ISTPs.
    I think kendoiwan is a good example as well, but he doesn't really post any more.
    "There is no god; there is only us. Savage and fragile."

Tempbanned Array

I think INTps get really excited with theory and such, while an ISTP would only get excited if that theory was put to practical use. I'm pretty sure I know a couple INTP's and they are much different than me, they hardly live in the moment and they are constantly conceptualizing things as oppose to looking things at face value. Another thing I notice about myself is I'm a performance junky I like to get competitive with just about anything whether it's sports or video games. I'm pretty sure INTPs are less concerned with anything Se related.

Nips away your dignity Array Fluffywolf's Avatar
    9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by jixmixfix View Post
    I'm pretty sure INTPs are less concerned with anything Se related.
    I don't think competativeness is Se. Even INTP's enjoy excelling in what they do. I've played soccer for quite some years and was very competative doing that, but there's a funny story of me when I was a 5 year old judoka, I was participating in some kind of event with prices and all, can't remember what kind of even it was, but anyways, there was this one weaker kid and he had already lost two matches, and when he was against me the third match I let him win because I felt sorry for him. What's up with that!? I would never do something like that now though.

If I'm in it, I'm in it to win it. And a big stress on the if part.:P

Probably Most Brilliant Array Craft's Avatar
    5w7 sx/so

If you know the INTP and ISTP type well enough, you won't think of them as being that similar. No, I'm not talking about their descriptions, I'm talking theoretical definitions. Ne is very distant from Ni. Communicative difference between the two is so obvious. Ni is referential whereas Ne is innovative.

In a pure temperament(nature) manner, ENTP is the closest to INTP.