First 23456 Last

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    INTPs will have a broader definition of what "complete" entails. They can become bogged down with implications of how new information alters the interconnected web of all things [Ne vision of the world].
    Yes, no "natural" boundaries to the information, the web can extend into infinity.

Quote Originally Posted by Lauren Ashley
    So INTPs will just wait and wait for "complete" information? And how would they know if it was complete or not?
    Reasonable sampling size.

You try to get enough information from various aspects of the problem that it seems representative of the whole, so that you can then draw a conclusion. Drawing conclusions, though, is typically a learned skill in order to function productively in the external world.

If it turns out you get new info, though, that changes your conclusion, you're stuck either changing your conclusion or else feeling incoherent/lacking integrity.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Lauren Ashley View Post
    Well, that sounds terrible. Not coming to a conclusion? I am scared, very scared.
    It's not terrible at all. Like Jennifer said, we are more interested in the means instead of the ends. We don't care about the conclusions, we care about the process. :P
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII

So one way I could tell the difference between the two is noting when and if they come to conclusions?

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Nomenclature View Post
    I myself am really push-and-pull between doing everything and doing nothing, so maybe you're not getting the whole picture... HOWEVER, I know an ISTP who hadn't left the house in months one time, which BOGGLES my mind. In his own words, "I'll always be bored whether I'm out of the house or not."
    I could do this if I was stoned.
    Was he smoking pot, taking prozac, or any other drugs?
    Other than that, I don't think I could stay at my house for months without going out, at least on weekends.
    Pot and prozac make me overly-relaxed and unmotivated.
    ISTP 6w5 sx/sp
    6-8-4/6-9-4 Tritype

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

So one way I could tell the difference between the two is noting when and if they come to conclusions?
    That seems to be the thread in this thread. But I think that's just one of many differences. There is much more in which the differences can be seen. But as far as orientation goes, yeah, ISTP's strive to be practical, INTP's do not. Making conclusions comes with being practical.

Ofcourse that doesn't mean INTP's are never practical and ISTP's always are, but that's another story. It's all about the orientation I think.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    It's not terrible at all. Like Jennifer said, we are more interested in the means instead of the ends. We don't care about the conclusions, we care about the process. :P
    Perceivers.

Still, it seems like the perfect recipe for torture. I remember those short descriptions on similarminds... one of those for INTP was something like, "struggles with the meaninglessness of existence". I can certainly see why.

That seems to be the thread in this thread. But I think that's just one of many differences. There is much more in which the differences can be seen.
    What other differences are there? I could use any and all info. I have ideas but they're hard to put into words.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

I have ideas but they're hard to put into words.
    You and me both.

I think if an INTP and an ISTP would go do their groceries, although neither are much for making lists. An ISTP would start at the beginning and go to the end picking up whatever he or she needs and go to the cashier. An INTP would wander about, pondering about what they fancy, and zig zag their way from start to end and back to start if they have to until finally going to the cashier.

I also think ISTP's might more easily prefer public transport over self transport while INTP's would prefer self transport over public transport. Because INTP's would rather be in control of their direction themselves instead of their destination, whilest an ISTP is less concerned about the control of their direction but more concerned about reaching their destination.

INTP's appear much more aloof than ISTP's do.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Perceivers.
    It's okay, I have a soft spot for IFJs and their need for closure while still trying to respect TP craziness.

Still, it seems like the perfect recipe for torture. I remember those short descriptions on similarminds... one of those for INTP was something like, "struggles with the meaninglessness of existence". I can certainly see why.
    Finally. Someone understands.

I think if an INTP and an ISTP would go do their groceries, although neither are much for making lists. An ISTP would start at the beginning and go to the end picking up whatever he or she needs and go to the cashier. An INTP would wander about, pondering about what they fancy, and zig zag their way from start to end and back to start if they have to until finally going to the cashier.
    Which is funny. Because I think I used to be more the latter, but now am much more of the former... and have contemplated recently creating lists, in order to better control my eating since I'm serious about managing my diet.

It's a learned skill. I didn't used to be that way, but I got tired of wasting so much time wandering, and also not getting everything I realized I needed.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

You and me both.

Actually, I would make a list, because I think I would forget otherwise. I would plan to go from beginning to end, but I would stop and run-off in another direction often, because something caught my fancy. Then, I would have to think about where I was to begin with and get my bearings again, and review the list.

I think it's about having a stable ground (the list, a workable system of trafficking through), but then drifting off and running amuck from there, and then regrounding myself. It's like I am managing myself. If I don't, I may never buy any groceries, and still be in the store 3 hours later, browsing lol.....
    ISTP 6w5 sx/sp
    6-8-4/6-9-4 Tritype

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by ICUP View Post
    Actually, I would make a list, because I think I would forget otherwise. I would plan to go from beginning to end, but I would stop and run-off in another direction often, because something caught my fancy. Then, I would have to think about where I was to begin with and get my bearings again, and review the list.

I think it's about having a stable ground (the list, a workable system of trafficking through), but then drifting off and running amuck from there, and then regrounding myself. It's like I am managing myself.
    But you make lists so you don't count! Not enough perceiver in you! :P

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Which is funny. Because I think I used to be more the latter, but now am much more of the former... and have contemplated recently creating lists, in order to better control my eating since I'm serious about managing my diet.

It's a learned skill. I didn't used to be that way, but I got tired of wasting so much time wandering, and also not getting everything I realized I needed.
    That's the bane of MBTI though. When trying to identify peoples traits to specific types, one looks at the result of their traits and not at the reasoning behind their traits. And that's why typing people is a dangerous business.

An INTP can assume traits of ISTP's and vice versa, but for entirely different reasons rooted in entirely different cognative functions.

If you see someone do something, the best thing is inquire why they do it like that, and then make up your mind about their type. And not chalk up their actions to a specific type without knowing their reasining behind it. :P