• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

ISTP is like INTP?

KDude

I can talk about Greek philosophy. I'm just not a fan of most of it. After Pythagoras, Plato, and Aristotle, most philosophy (Greek and otherwise) became a quest for the ultimate expression of ideals, symmetry, etc.. Western philosophy operates on the assumption that this is an ordered universe, and the philosopher's quest is to figure it all out. I'm a fan of the Greek philosopher Heraclitus, whose writings no longer exist, but who famously said "No one ever steps in the same river twice". This is a paradigm rarely expressed in Western philosophy. He dispenses with an ordered universe right away. Eastern philosophy is closer to him. We're only now embracing some of the same ideas with quantum physics.

Anyways, this is a roundabout way of saying that the tenets underlying a lot of philosophy appeal to NTs by default, who already think in terms of big picture patterns and global systems. If philosophy had taken Heraclitus' route, and we had more schools of thought coming from him, you'd probably see more ISTPs who'd discuss it. You see some very philosophical STPs in the East - Taoism and certain branches of Buddhism teach the same kind of fluidity. Look at Bruce Lee. "Be like water." It just depends on what you define as "philosophy" first.

Phoenix

MBTI Type
XNTX
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Oh yes absolutely. I love conspiracy theories. That type of abstract is thrilling though. It makes me wanna dig deeper. It is almost like solving a problem. Greek philosophy though...different story.

The philosophy situation I spoke of though was, If I remember correctly, about "The Allegory of the Cave".
My buddy kept spinning that theory deeper and deeper until it was so abstract that he almost couldn't explain it in words, where upon I said "Can't you just take it for what it is? A cave with an opening. Socrates already explained it. No need to dig it any deeper." Maybe I shouldn't have used the tree as an example.

Yep, again, I know exactly what you mean. I've thought about this a little bit. When my INTP friend and I go off on say, MBTI cognitive processes, he'll start going off on that abstract tangent. To me, that sounds stressful and inefficient when it loses what I feel is "useful" -- but he just enjoys doing it. It's not that ISTPs can't go off on abstract tangents (believe me, I've spun off little Ni tangents on the INTP too), it's just that most times we don't see a purpose too (unless we just enjoy the moment).

I think the best way to truly differentiate / spot the difference between Ne and Se in philosophical debates/discussions is how Ne tries to pull / convince the other person by how much of a focus an Ne user pays on possibilities [I know .. CF cliche] as opposed to actuals. An Se user is more likely to want to apply their abstractions to reality or try to see how they're practical [as both of you have pointed out].

The point I'm making is that being in tune with potentials/possibilities is what results in the abstraction of thought, but the reverse isn't true. I.e. You can say that Ne results in abstract and deep thinking, but just because someone exhibits deep thinking and abstract thought doesn't mean that they're an Ne user :)

Crafter

MBTI Type
ISTP
Se description is correct from my view.

I can agree that you might not be a primary Ne user for being able to think abstract, but it is still Ne being used. It kinda reminds me of a quote I read the other day.
"The opposite of a true statement is a false statement, but the opposite of one profound truth is more often than not another profound truth."

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
ISTP - So that's how it works!
INTP - Plans to dominate the Universe!
ISTP%2Bposter3.jpg

motivator7973515.jpg

Chiharu

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
My boyfriend is like that. More ISTP than INTP but you'd never guess.

Kierva

#KUWK
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yes, and less annoying too.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I would laugh my head off if the INTPs on this forum really end up being Socionics ISTjs and if the ISTPs on this forum really end up being Socionics INTjs as then ISTP would be like INTP and INTP would be like ISTP! :laugh:

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
ISTPs you should throw a party because now the epic Wizard awsomeness has discovered that Raptor is not INTP but rather is ISTP but ISTP is a lot like INTP. Let's get this party started!
:party2:
:mariobanana:
:yay:
:wizfreak:

deleted
An ISTP who you say is more "like" INTPs is probably an INTP with underdeveloped or dumbed-down Ne. There's a clear difference between what NT and SP looks like--for Ti types it's in the secondary preference.

Description of intuition:

Paying the most attention to impressions or the meaning and patterns of the information I get. I would rather learn by thinking a problem through than by hands-on experience. I remember events more as an impression of what it was like than as actual facts or details of what happened.

Description of sensing:

Paying attention to physical reality, what I see, hear, touch, taste, and smell. I’m concerned with what is actual, present, current, and real. I like to see the practical use of things and learn best when I see how to use what I’m learning. Experience speaks to me louder than words.