• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What is the biggest compliment/insult someone could give you?

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Off the top of my head:

Compliments:
- "I see how much you have been doing for me/us/them/whoever recently, and I just wanted to make sure that you didn't go unrecognized for it. You are doing an amazing job and we could not have done this without you."
- "You're such a level-headed person and you give really good advice"
- Telling me the opposite of an insecurity, e.g. calling me beautiful <3
- "You're so wonderful. Don't ever change."
^I actually got this one once :wub: and I will never forget it.

Insults:
- Accusing me of being the opposite of anything that I take pride in being, e.g. trustworthy, hard-working, principled, respectful, rational, responsible, etc.
- Confirming any of my insecurities, e.g. calling me arrogant, cold, uncaring, ugly, unworthy of respect or love or appreciation, etc.

stalemate

Post-Humorously
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Compliment: You are a great person. (great could be great, terrific, awesome, whatever)

Insult: somehow question honesty/integrity i guess...

funkadelik

good hair
MBTI Type
lmao
Compliments about my ability to do something well or about something I've put a lot of thought and effort into are always well regarded in my book.

I'd say it's pretty hard to insult me, but if you really want to piss me off just be condescending or question my competency and intelligence with no good reason for doing so. :dont:

Malice

Boldly Gone
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
2W3
Biggest compliment: Probably anything that I felt was 'genuine', but more specifically complimenting something I don't already see in myself. Such as 'you have great fashion sense' or 'you're really talented at _____'. The stuff I'm not aware of tends to stick with me for longer because I kind of have to reflect on it and go, 'hm...really? thanks!'

Biggest insult: Anything along the lines of 'You're not ______ enough.' D:

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Compliment: you are rational, creative, give good advice, are good at this skill (dance, music, science, etc), you are REALLY really smart...no really, one of the smartest people I have ever met. You are really pretty.

I'd like to talk to you more.

Insult: you are an idiot, you are IRRATIONAL, you are fat, you'll never make it anywhere, you aren't above a 7 on a 1-10 scale of attractiveness, you aren't very good at that, you are overconfident, I don't think you can do that. You don't care.

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm not sure I deal with compliments all that well. I'm mostly uncomfortable with it. I'm a perfectionist and I don't think I deserve it half of the time, and the times when I really would wish to hear something it is never said (at least to my face).
Sometimes, I do get something good, though. I think "I love you" is the best compliment a man can ever get from someone. I have gotten that, even if it proved to be false. It did give me a taste of how real love will feel, though, since I wasn't aware it wasn't real.

Mole

Permabanned
The worst insult is boring.

And the best compliment is amusing.

Catharsis

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Something along the lines of "You're so different" or "You're so interesting" would really be a stroke to my ego. The worst insult would probably be to call me insincere or say that I lack integrity.

However, I become uncomfortable with compliments if I feel that what I just did wasn't worthy of such praise, like performing a piece of music and knowing I could have done better, or fucked up a passage completely. Every good word about it will just be full of pity to me, but of course I don't show it. Maybe they genuinly liked it. But me, I'm just too perfectionistic in some ways.

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I've received several really nice compliments this week, the best being 'Sas, you are so strong in your mind' Awww.

The insult i've received this week was from work. They wanted me to just sit at a computer for 7.5 hours a day for the entire week and do one thing only which can be completed in 2 hours. Utilise my strengths darn it, don't practically leave me in a cage to wither away *shudders*

faith

MBTI Type
INFJ
I was exasperated with a girl online but didn't want to flame her, so I was honest and told her she sounded like "a thoroughly modern and up-to-date woman". For me, that would have been an insult. But she replied with a genuine, "Aww... thanks for the compliment!"

The best compliment I've received recently: "I feel safe with you."

xisnotx

Permabanned
Compliment: At least you are trying. (Because, in general, it's the truth...so at least they aren't lying to me..)
Insult: I just don't think you are capable of understanding it/this. (If someone said this to me it's pretty much gloves off, it crosses a line in my book..)

kalevala

MBTI Type
I?FP
Compliment: "You're doing good things"--or, "you're a good guy".

Insult: "You're fake"--pretty much the last thing I would ever want to be. Or "selfish".

Or "You're too neurotic"--precisely because it's true, and I'm painfully aware of the fact that it's true, already.

Honor

girl with a pretty smile
MBTI Type
?
Instinctual Variant
so
Compliments: I like all compliments :) but I think my favorite compliments that I've ever received have been about being driven or accomplished and about my appearance (sorry, I know that sounds shallow)!

Insults: Hmm, I'd say that the worst insults are the ones that aren't true but are said by someone wanting to tear you down to save face. There's no coming back from that, at least with me, so it leaves you unable to repair the relationship or reframe the person in a positive way in your mind. And if the comment is completely untrue, there's no way you can use it as a personal growth experience. So, it's just bad.

N

ndovjtjcaqidthi

I don't really take well to compliments when I'm not looking for them.

As for insults, I don't think there's something anyone can say that would ever insult me. I'm not offended easily.

MBTI Type
INTJ
INTJ

Biggest compliment: "You're funny."

Biggest insult: "You're not intelligent." I particularly loathe the variety where some self-righteous ass tells me I "need to get educated" because my opinion doesn't match up with theirs. Those words are guaranteed to set me off every single time. I can't stand people who assume that anyone open-minded and in full possession of the facts will inevitably agree with them, and that since you don't agree with them you must be closed-minded and ignorant.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Insult: lazy/don't do enough

Compliment: helped someone achieve a personal goal or better their circumstances (mental, emotional, economical, romantic, etc.)

Lark

Interesting insults I've heard include "may you live in interesting times" and "there is no place for you in the world to come" one is eastern/oriental and the other is Jewish.

Both really mean you'll may you have the shittest time imaginable.

Lark

Insult: lazy/don't do enough

Compliment: helped someone achieve a personal goal or better their circumstances (mental, emotional, economical, romantic, etc.)

Allegations of laziness used to do it for me too, still do sometimes, especially when combined with sectarianism. Last time I was really angry with someone online followed their posting lots and lots of views about Roman Catholics being more inclined towards benefit fraud, sickness (with pay) and doing so for political reasons (anti-government action) on the orders of priests. Its at that point a blood boiling "fuck you and your protestant ascendency" kind of enters into my mind but it generally fades quickly enough when I reflect upon the fact that all of this kind of thinking is pretty seriously dated, in other contexts it'd probably be some "good old boys" complaining about how the country club has finally begun to admit jews, blacks and catho-lics.

Yup. Those sorts of mindsets have no place in the world to come, they can all live in interesting times ;)