User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Default Difference between aspergers & INTJ

I have a friend who is trying to figure out if her adult son is an INTJ or if he actually has aspergers. The diagnosis of aspergers was not as good when he was growing up as it is now. So how would you tell the difference?

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

It's not uncommon to see similarities between INTJ and people with aspergers; I know this personally, as I have aspergers and once though I was INTJ (kinda funny when I look back on it). Mainly those with aspergers are going to posses a certain set of traits that aren't exclusive to any one type; rigid behavior, intense interests in one or few subjects, not making eye contact with people, trouble understadning social gestures, etc. But those are only general traits, I would suggest looking up aspergers on wiki or buying a book that provides a detail ist into the certain behaviors and conditions that people with aspergers have, as well as remembering that INTJ's are simply people whom utilize the cognitive functions of Ni and Te, with some Fi and maybe Se in rare cases. Aside from their analytical nature INTJ's seem like normal people, those with aspergers, often are a little more eccentric.

Or maybe in some rare case, he's an INTJ with aspergers.

ThatGirl

Why would someone think an INTJ would appear to have aspergers?

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    Why would someone think an INTJ would appear to have aspergers?
    There's certain similar behaviors that overlap between the two, although I think that it more so applies to INTP's in general.

ThatGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Savage Idealist View Post
    There's certain similar behaviors that overlap between the two, although I think that it more so applies to INTP's in general.
    I actually disagree. Most normal functioning people look the same on the outside. It isn't until you get a closer look, you start to see different preferences in processing an interacting with the world. I think people assume INTs are similar to people with real disabilities only because people try to "show" their type, causing them to take an internal framework, to an external structure.

Point?

If you suspect someone has a mental disability, like aspergers, its probably NOT their personality type.

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    I actually disagree. Most normal functioning people look the same on the outside. It isn't until you get a closer look, you start to see different preferences in processing an interacting with the world. I think people assume INTs are similar to people with real disabilities only because people try to "show" their type, causing them to take an internal framework, to an external structure.

Point?

If you suspect someone has a mental disability, like aspergers, its probably NOT their personality type.
    Good point.

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by Savage Idealist View Post
    It's not uncommon to see similarities between INTJ and people with aspergers; I know this personally, as I have aspergers and once though I was INTJ (kinda funny when I look back on it). Mainly those with aspergers are going to posses a certain set of traits that aren't exclusive to any one type; rigid behavior, intense interests in one or few subjects, not making eye contact with people, trouble understadning social gestures, etc. But those are only general traits, I would suggest looking up aspergers on wiki or buying a book that provides a detail ist into the certain behaviors and conditions that people with aspergers have, as well as remembering that INTJ's are simply people whom utilize the cognitive functions of Ni and Te, with some Fi and maybe Se in rare cases. Aside from their analytical nature INTJ's seem like normal people, those with aspergers, often are a little more eccentric.

Or maybe in some rare case, he's an INTJ with aspergers.
    I have to disagree. INTJs don't look in any way mentally disabled, but they're far from normal looking. if you're familiar with the INTJ temperament, they're usually easy to spot immediately
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

Enneagram
    3w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I find it silly that a type and a disorder are being compared as though they have similar grounds to begin with.

apples =/= oranges
    C#2-C#5-F#5
    3 octaves, 2 notes and 1 semitone
    Supported range: F#2-F#4-C#5

MBTI
    IsFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    I have to disagree. INTJs don't look in any way mentally disabled, but they're far from normal looking. if you're familiar with the INTJ temperament, they're usually easy to spot immediately
    In some cases (ex: E-Type Ones), they can look quite similar to ISTJs. Also, Asperger's is not a mental "disability", it's a different cognitive framework.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    E9

My INTJ husband sometimes thinks he might have mild Aspergers.

I don't think he does, though. His expressionless face probably looks intimidating to people who don't know him because of the way he holds his mouth straight, but really he's just thinking. He's very serious and analytical when appropriate, but then he'll surprise you with the funniest wise cracks. Since I get to see his mushy and fun side, I mostly only see him smiling, joking around, and being a complete sweetie pie. In a small gathering of friends where he is comfortable, he is the life of the party, super witty and funny.