• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Reasons, Justifications and Excuses

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Every once in a while I feel compelled to produce a reason for why I did something, and I occasionally find that I can't produce anything so simple as one. How I arrive at things feels complex and organic that it feels mostly like storytelling if I have to account for it. Not lying, mind you, I believe storytelling is a perfectly valid way of explaining something, and every story is true in its own way.

This often leads to rather unconvincing sounding reasons, and much raisings of eyebrows.

Is this an NP point of view? NF? EX? What? And, do you do this?

Chiharu

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Same. A lot of time I tell stories that may or may not have actually happened but they FEEL true, or the point of them is true. I can think of a lot of good reason or excuses for the things I do, but they're usually not my reason for doing it. Maybe it's an Ne-dom thing?

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I gave it I thought, and I'm thinking the perceiving functions ranking have a correlation with this.
All perceiving functions if not balanced correctly can lead to this (Ne,Ni,Se,Si).
Ne - uncoventional to crazy ideas, possibly with some actions derived
Se - ''It just happened''
Ni - ''I can't explain why but I'm sure I'm right and you are wrong.''
Si - ''It is because it is. ''
Which probably means those with dominant perceiving functions do this more often, whether or not they realize it.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Same. A lot of time I tell stories that may or may not have actually happened but they FEEL true, or the point of them is true. I can think of a lot of good reason or excuses for the things I do, but they're usually not my reason for doing it. Maybe it's an Ne-dom thing?

One ENFP, check...

I gave it I thought, and I'm thinking the perceiving functions ranking have a correlation with this.
All perceiving functions if not balanced correctly can lead to this (Ne,Ni,Se,Si).
Ne - uncoventional to crazy ideas, possibly with some actions derived
Se - ''It just happened''
Ni - ''I can't explain why but I'm sure I'm right and you are wrong.''
Si - ''It is because it is. ''
Which probably means those with dominant perceiving functions do this more often, whether or not they realize it.

This sounds like it's in the right direction. I imagine the Ne toned down can offer a myriad of plausible explanations as well as wild ones. Of course the more I learn about things, the less difference there seems to be.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
yeah explaining myself is difficult. it takes a long time. it makes perfect sense in my own head and it probably really is quite reasonable, but it takes a while to voice because the images i see so clearly in my head linking things together are not words. and like chiharu said, sometimes the principle can be expressed in ways that trade factual accuracy for heart-of-the-matter accuracy. might as well just tell that to certain people because they don't like the reality anyway.

what i mean is - for instance, an old boss of mine used to always ask me questions about what i was working on, and what progress i had made, but when i would try to explain giving context she would tell me to stop "making excuses". i guess she thought my manner of linking event to event and concept to concept was to cover up for something. at first i got mad, but eventually i gave up on trying to explain to her what i thought was important and just told her something mostly true that she would want to hear.

:shrug: